Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
2012 Georgetown 378

378 Front AC vibration

Hello fellow Georgetowners..We are now living full time in our 2012 378TS and because we are light sleepers we have been using the front AC unit only with a fan in the hall blowing into the bedroom at night during sleep. We are experiencing vibration of the coach including the bathroom wall separating the bedroom and bath ticking like the wiring in the wall is rattling against the wall. I am going to remove the GFI outlet to see if I can secure the wiring without have to drill a small hole to try to secure the noise. Here's the question..anyone have vibration issues with their AC units?? Resolutions??

Thanks
Ray and Cynthia

Ray, Cynthia, Duncan and Bailey
2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycyn778 View Post
Hello fellow Georgetowners..We are now living full time in our 2012 378TS and because we are light sleepers we have been using the front AC unit only with a fan in the hall blowing into the bedroom at night during sleep. We are experiencing vibration of the coach including the bathroom wall separating the bedroom and bath ticking like the wiring in the wall is rattling against the wall. I am going to remove the GFI outlet to see if I can secure the wiring without have to drill a small hole to try to secure the noise. Here's the question..anyone have vibration issues with their AC units?? Resolutions??

Thanks
Ray and Cynthia
As for the vibration, you might try removing the outside cover on the ac and check the fan blades for mud dauber nests. MAKE SURE YOU TURN THE ELECTRICAL BREAKER OFF or just disconnect from shore power before you even go up
Old 07-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #3

I've not heard the sound from vibration however I couldn't believe those two panels br/bath are as loose as they are, nothing seems to secure them except at top and bottom in my unit, also a 12-378. Perfect setup for a snare drum head. I'm thinking of extending very small threaded studs through the wall to secure them together in discreet areas. (can't find "studs", probably not very heavy). Would take much to cause these wall to "excite", more so than vinyl coated cable.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
2012 Georgetown 378

Just got done removing the GFI outlet in the bath on the adjoining bedroom wall and sure enough it was the wires to the outlet that were just touching the inside of the wall. The only support as I reached in there was a furring strip to allow the vanity cabinet in the bathroon to be secured. very Flimsy but I undestand the nedd to keep total weight down as low as possible. Still get the vibration but the curious thing is that the vibration is very slight right next to the AC unit butr the farther away you go, the worse it gets. I had an independant RV repair guy look at it and he said it was the vehicles harmonics!!! No way to repair it...

2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
Old 07-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
2012 Georgetown 378

sure enough, I removed the GFI outlet and reached in behind the wall and the wires for the outlet and the 2 switches were in there hanging so I folded them up and centered them. Hope that ends the ticking sound but the vibration remains. the funny thing about the vibration is that it is hardly noticable at the unit but as you move away, it gets worse until you reach the bedroom where it is quite noticable. I had an independent RV repair guy take a lok at he said it was the vehicles harmonics and nothing could be done about it

2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
Old 07-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
sure enough, I removed the GFI outlet and reached in behind the wall and the wires for the outlet and the 2 switches were in there hanging so I folded them up and centered them. Hope that ends the ticking sound but the vibration remains. the funny thing about the vibration is that it is hardly noticable at the unit but as you move away, it gets worse until you reach the bedroom where it is quite noticable. I had an independent RV repair guy take a lok at he said it was the vehicles harmonics and nothing could be done about it
Would still check the fan on the ac unit itself. Easy to do and after all, it is the root of the problem.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #7

Or maybe some non-expanding spray foam to dampen the vibration.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #8

I also have a 2012 378,my rear ac was noisy,took to a dealer , ac was replace,they said it was a bad compressor.The bed room wall was loose in mine,there was a stud in wall and panel was not attach .Dealer that done ac staple panel to stud.I also put a ac wall plug on that wall,remove ac plug from bath side and tide on to it for bed room.There is a stud a few inches toward the door on the bath room side,the stud is on the bath room side.I screw my plug box to that stud,use a 1/4 inch spacer on back side of plug box to make box even with bed room wall,which help to secure the wall in the bed room.
manvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
2012 Georgetown 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by manvel View Post
I also have a 2012 378,my rear ac was noisy,took to a dealer , ac was replace,they said it was a bad compressor.The bed room wall was loose in mine,there was a stud in wall and panel was not attach .Dealer that done ac staple panel to stud.I also put a ac wall plug on that wall,remove ac plug from bath side and tide on to it for bed room.There is a stud a few inches toward the door on the bath room side,the stud is on the bath room side.I screw my plug box to that stud,use a 1/4 inch spacer on back side of plug box to make box even with bed room wall,which help to secure the wall in the bed room.
Hi, what kind of noises were you getting? I think I have a bad compressor as well..it seems to be working very hard. Do they use an electrical meter to guage the voltage draw on a bad unit? Did you install a wall outlet on the bedroom side of the wall? What did you do on the bathroom side?

Ray

2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
Old 07-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
2012 Georgetown 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Would still check the fan on the ac unit itself. Easy to do and after all, it is the root of the problem.
Do you mean to check for a blockage in the fan or the fasn motor is going bad and it is working to hard? Do you measure it with a meter to guage voltage draw??

Ray

2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
Old 07-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #11

None yet. Only creeks and rattling when I'm driving. Good luck. Let us know your fix.
Aandchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Do you mean to check for a blockage in the fan or the fasn motor is going bad and it is working to hard? Do you measure it with a meter to guage voltage draw??

Ray
No, check for mud dauber nests on one of the blades. Had that happen in Jan this yr and it caused a bad vibration.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #13

My AC made noise like it was loose,which was not the case,dealer put a amp meter on it and found it was drawing to much current.I put a wall plug on the bed room wall next to bath.wanted a place to plug in clock radio.It took some movement out of wall since it was screw into wood strip on bath room side wall.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
2012 Georgetown 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by manvel View Post
My AC made noise like it was loose,which was not the case,dealer put a amp meter on it and found it was drawing to much current.I put a wall plug on the bed room wall next to bath.wanted a place to plug in clock radio.It took some movement out of wall since it was screw into wood strip on bath room side wall.

Thanks for the response, Using an amp meter is a smart move..it will tell right away if there is a problem. Unfortunatley for me we are full timing it in an RV park 45 miles from the nearest RV dealer so I am going to call Dometic tomorrow for their recommendation , also don't know if you know this but in the 378's there are duplex plugs in the base of the bed on both sides. My clock is plugged in to them as well as my wifes on her side

Ray

2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
Old 07-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #15

Thanks,I found the plugs,easy to see with slide in,I knew there should be plug ,did not look far enough.