Old 05-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #21

Another quality product from Forest River.
I wonder if winnabago is any better,
for my next motorhome

Old 06-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #22

Had the same situation on my 2011 378. Did anyone notice that with the panel and hotwater heater in place that there is a 1 1/4" air gap between the side panel and the compartment. Mine was full of water marks from road splash getting into the compartment. I made a seal to eliminate the air gap and close the compartment. In winter the cold air would really freeze up all of the exposed piping.

My only thought is "is that air gap supposed to be there" or did the installer simply find it easier to skip that step.

JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #23

Hmmm - If the floor of the compartment bends under the weight of the WH, then supporting it with a shim won't prevent it from changing position and rotating around the top support. I guess we"ll have to check this regularly and add shims as the floor drops.

Maybe a longer term solution is to install a strap attaching the back of the water heater to the top of the compartment and the wood floor above it.

Phil
Old 06-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
Hmmm - If the floor of the compartment bends under the weight of the WH, then supporting it with a shim won't prevent it from changing position and rotating around the top support. I guess we"ll have to check this regularly and add shims as the floor drops.

Maybe a longer term solution is to install a strap attaching the back of the water heater to the top of the compartment and the wood floor above it.

Phil

Phil take a look at this fix and you will see what is needed.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post204250

Message #1 with pictures

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #25

Unfortunately, for me, your type fix will be a bit more complicated. My HW tank is located in the plumbing utility compartment with filter, pump, valve assemblies and low point drains. I'd figure that it would be at least a full day's work, maybe more to reinforce the support system. I also don't think that's a good thing to do until after FR's warranty expires. My next project in that area is to add drain valves inside the compartment to improve cold weather usability.

Phil
Old 07-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #26

Finally fixed mine. Besides scraping off the all of the silicon, I spent most of my time drilling out rusted screws... what a pain. Also, I was surprised to find what looked like a botched attempt from someone else (may be previous owner) to fix the problem. They had placed a metal strap under the WH to support it, screwed into both sides of the compartment. It was stretched and provided no support.

I simply added two 2x4s along with the existing sheet of plywood (I didn't want to cover up my access port). I ended up having to add a few shims in order to get the WH high to the right height (another pain).

I was planning to disconnect the hoses from the WH but then realized I had no idea how to remove them without causing damage. Are the hose clamps removable?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0907.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	15976

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0906.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	15977
Old 07-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #27

The hose clamps are one-time use crimp clamps. There's a special tool made for crimping them which can be purchased from irrigation (underground sprinkler) dealers. I've occasionally had success opening up the clamp with a couple of different sized screwdrivers then reusing the clamp but would strongly recommend NOT doing this in a motor home where a leak would be very very messy. The clamps are inexpensive and are very quick to install.

Phil