Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
2012 Georgetown 378

378 Kitchen vent problem

Hello fellow Georgetownians.. Need some advice. Like a fool while putting on my RV cover, I stepped through the kitchen vent cover and vent. I would like to replace it with a powered vent but need power as the original was not powered. After removing the vent I can see 2 brown and 1 white 12ga wires running by the vent opening. First question is has anyone replaced a kitchen roof vent and did you install a powered unit and if so, what manufacturer did you purchase from? 2nd question is what do they use for the roof caulk? Some of it was still "wet" as I pulled the unit out of the roof. 3rd, does anyone know what those wires would be going to and from?
Thanks all....

Going to have an RV garage installed on our RV pad, getting to old and dumb to keep climbing up there to put the cover on and off!

Ray, Cynthia, Duncan and Bailey
2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #2

Opps... Now you get to buy a Fantastic electric vent to replace that manual one.
Link http://www.fantasticvent.com/products/products.html
You can get them online or at Camping World
They have ones that are motorized louvers or manual, They have temperature thermostats to turn on/off or just a manual on, they have rain monitors that will close automatically, most have 3 or 4 speed fan speed switch.

They all fit the same hole size.

You need to check the wires with a digital volt meter to see if you have any voltage on any of those wires to ground. Are these wires dead ended or look like the are travelling to another location?

That is the best advice I can give at this moment.

Oh here is link to how to install
http://www.fantasticvent.com/faq/kno...o_install.html
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
2012 Georgetown 378

Thanks, I definitely want to put a powered fan in it's place but the power source is the issue. The wires are running from somewhere to somewhere else. They are 2 brown and 1 white 12ga taped together running along the roof. Any ideas where to get a Fantastic for a reasonable price? Camping world is way too expensive for most things. Any ideas on where I might find out what those wires are for?
Ray

2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
Old 09-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #4

I ordered the Fantastic Fan as an option when I ordered my coach. Follow Iggy's advice about checking if they are "hot" or not. Or call FR and ask if they pre-wired the vents with 12v for adding fans.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
2012 Georgetown 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconsults View Post
I ordered the Fantastic Fan as an option when I ordered my coach. Follow Iggy's advice about checking if they are "hot" or not. Or call FR and ask if they pre-wired the vents with 12v for adding fans.

Happy Trails, Forrest
Hey Forrest, thanks, you got a kitchen powered fan as an option from FR? I have one in the bathroom area but not in the kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010009 (2).jpg
Views:	129
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	39299   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010011.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	39300  

2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
Old 09-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycyn778 View Post
Hey Forrest, thanks, you got a kitchen powered fan as an option from FR? I have one in the bathroom area but not in the kitchen.
I have no idea what the wires are for but I can guess but know it is 12 volt battery voltage and NOT AC 120 volt.
It looks like it is going across your motorhome from side to side.
What do you have in the ceiling that may just that?
Ceiling light circuits 12 volts DC
AC thermostat wires 12 volt DC
It also may be for an outlet in the wall

As soon as you test for power or no power you can turn on some switches and see when it goes on or off.

Good luck
Old 09-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
2012 Georgetown 378

the wires are running front to back, you can see the top of the fridge in the picture..Unfortunately I do not have a meter so I guess I will call FR and see if I can speak with someone who might know..
Thanks for your advice..
Ray

2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
Old 09-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #8

Quote:
the wires are running front to back, you can see the top of the fridge in the picture..Unfortunately I do not have a meter so I guess I will call FR and see if I can speak with someone who might know..
Thanks for your advice..
Ray

I bet it is the ceiling light circuit or the thermostat wires to the front ceiling AC unit
Old 09-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #9

Racyn778, I ordered one for the kitchen and one for the bathroom. Both are thermostatic controlled and have a rain sensor. I wish I would have got the remote, my wife is height-challenged and can't reach the controls, so I have to get up and do it. LOL. The rain sensor didn't work once on the one in the bathroom, luckily it didn't rain much.

I put the max air covers on after that, so now it doesn't matter.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Just Installed-----------------

Just installed a MAXXAIR fan #7000K with remote, It is the latest version of the fan. I got #19 of the new style. The latest mod is a gasket has been inserted into the roof flange and the fan housing to prevent rain from blowing in. The early models did not have the gasket. Mine came from Amazon.com with the white lid. It is listed as "MAXXAIR 0007000K Maxxfan Deluxe" for $261.00 includes shipping. It is listed as a smoke cover but the lid is white.

There are two models one is manual opening and fully auto. The 7000K is fully auto,

It sure will move the air, is thermostat controlled, reversible, with remote.

Hardest about installing was removing factory caulking from original vent. But a hair dryer and paint scraper will do the trick,
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
2012 Georgetown 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconsults View Post
Racyn778, I ordered one for the kitchen and one for the bathroom. Both are thermostatic controlled and have a rain sensor. I wish I would have got the remote, my wife is height-challenged and can't reach the controls, so I have to get up and do it. LOL. The rain sensor didn't work once on the one in the bathroom, luckily it didn't rain much.

I put the max air covers on after that, so now it doesn't matter.

Happy Trails, Forrest

Forrest, You ordered your Georgetown with them already installed?

2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
Old 09-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
2012 Georgetown 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I bet it is the ceiling light circuit or the thermostat wires to the front ceiling AC unit
April Conner just emailed me to say that the wires are there for just that, to install a powered fan. I want to believe her but the wires do not terminate there, they seem to continue forward and back. guess I can cut them to see what happens. the other question is why 2 brown and a white wire, why not just 2 to complete a circuit.
Anyways, going to order a powered fan and go for it!

2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
Old 09-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #13

Quote:
April Conner just emailed me to say that the wires are there for just that, to install a powered fan. I want to believe her but the wires do not terminate there, they seem to continue forward and back. guess I can cut them to see what happens. the other question is why 2 brown and a white wire, why not just 2 to complete a circuit.
Anyways, going to order a powered fan and go for it!
If it is for a power vent at that location I bet you can pull lightly on one side that is going towards the front winshield it will pull out with bare ends capped. I bet it is just taped up and you may find a light resistance when pulling. Try it is can't hurt.

Wire colors are weird with DC but I will want you to check if you have power with a meter. Probably the browns may be positive 12 vdc and the white is negative 12 vdc. Only a meter will tell you for sure
Old 09-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #14
2012 Georgetown 378

Quote:
If it is for a power vent at that location I bet you can pull lightly on one side that is going towards the front winshield it will pull out with bare ends capped. I bet it is just taped up and you may find a light resistance when pulling. Try it is can't hurt.

Wire colors are weird with DC but I will want you to check if you have power with a meter. Probably the browns may be positive 12 vdc and the white is negative 12 vdc. Only a meter will tell you for sure
Iggy, I ordered a MaxxAir fan with the built in rain guard. Got a great deal on Amazon. Will find out then about the wires! Should be here by end of week... On another note, it is time for oil, filter and lube. do you know what the requirements are for the Ford V-10? Oil Filter number? How many quarts it takes and how many lubrication points are there?

Thanks
Ray

2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
Old 09-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Iggy, I ordered a MaxxAir fan with the built in rain guard. Got a great deal on Amazon. Will find out then about the wires! Should be here by end of week... On another note, it is time for oil, filter and lube. do you know what the requirements are for the Ford V-10? Oil Filter number? How many quarts it takes and how many lubrication points are there?

Thanks
Ray
7 qt of semi sythentic Ford oil 5w20 (Walmart)
Oil Filter Ford FL820s (Walmarty if you are lucky to find them there)
Old 09-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #16
2012 Georgetown 378

Quote:
7 qt of semi sythentic Ford oil 5w20 (Walmart)
Oil Filter Ford FL820s (Walmarty if you are lucky to find them there)
thank you my friend, any idea on how many grease fittings there are on the chassis front and rear?? don't want to miss any while I am under the unit.

thanks
Ray

2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
Old 09-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #17

Quote:
thank you my friend, any idea on how many grease fittings there are on the chassis front and rear?? don't want to miss any while I am under the unit.

thanks
Ray
You are getting everything answered all in the same message. LOL
No fitting in the rearend.
Typical fitting in front. 2 on each wheel top and bottom, 1 on steering and 2 I think on steering cross arms.
I also spray my sway bar bushings with lithium grease. So the bar can easily slide and rotate easily.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #18

This might help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lubepoints.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	39483  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #19
2012 Georgetown 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
This might help
Iggy and Bubbles thanks for your help. Got the MaxxAir fan installed. Man it is very very quiet and with 15 speeds in either direction and built in rain guard, it beats the Fantastic fan I have in the bathroom area by a mile. had to pigtail in to the wires I found to make it work. they did not terminate there.
Also, there appear to be 8 grease fittings as I could not find one on the steering box, only a plug. And Walmart had the filter and oil. Had to transfer from the 5 quart jug to the two single quart containers to fill as there is definitely not enough room to pour from the larger container. I noticed that some bought a pump but it really was not that big of a deal for something that you do not very often.
thanks again you guys....

2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
Old 09-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Iggy and Bubbles thanks for your help. Got the MaxxAir fan installed. Man it is very very quiet and with 15 speeds in either direction and built in rain guard, it beats the Fantastic fan I have in the bathroom area by a mile. had to pigtail in to the wires I found to make it work. they did not terminate there.
Also, there appear to be 8 grease fittings as I could not find one on the steering box, only a plug. And Walmart had the filter and oil. Had to transfer from the 5 quart jug to the two single quart containers to fill as there is definitely not enough room to pour from the larger container. I noticed that some bought a pump but it really was not that big of a deal for something that you do not very often.
thanks again you guys....
Glad to hear you got the fan installed. I may have to look at that fan in the future.
Yes a hand pump works wonders but youhave to have a cart to place the 5 qt jug on.
Performance W1145 Multi-Use Transfer Pump: Automotive : Walmart.com

Tags
vent