Old 09-07-2016, 11:31 PM   #1

378 XL power front shade

Well when you upgrade and get power shades you know what is going to happen. you are right they break. Mine is a design fault, from years of rolling in and out the shade has cut through the wiring right next to the motor. Does anyone know if there has been a recall on the front power shades? Thank you for any help with this.

2011 Gergetown 378 TS XL on a Workhorse W22 chassis

Toad is a 2014 Chevy Cruze RS
Moorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:38 AM   #2

Mine did the same thing. No recall that I know of. It is not hard to take that motor out and replace it.
Here was my thread on the subject;
Not all Front Shades are MCD

Charleston SC
3 Boston Terriers, 1 Frenchie
Gonna miss you Toby. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:59 AM   #3

Thank you

That is what happened to mine. I will look up united shade and give them a call. I have the motor out as i had to take the shade down to drive home. (Police have no sense of humour when you drive with the blind in the down position )

Old 09-09-2016, 09:43 PM   #4

Replaced our power shade motor last year, your in for a shock when you hear the cost of that little guy. If it had cut the wire I personally, would disassemble the motor and re solder the wires. I took our old motor apart just for fun after getting the new one, pretty simple really.

JimF
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #5

$$$$$$$$$$

$150.00 plus freight ouch ouch that hurts

Old 09-10-2016, 12:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorio View Post
$150.00 plus freight ouch ouch that hurts

I said it would be a shock when you saw the cost. Way overpriced but what do you do..

JimF
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:36 PM   #7
Steelhorzz

The same thing happened to our front shade while we were traveling. Thank goodness it was only about 1/2 way down.
It too was a result of broken wire directly at the motor attachment. I took it to a local shop that does work on my cars. (I couldn't get into my RV dealer for a month as they are constantly backed up). They ordered the part from the dealer and installed it. My extended warranty covered the bulk of the cost. I paid my $100 deductible, and premium shipping cost. The cause.... I was told the wires running up to the motor were too tight and vibration and stress snapped one off. When repairing it, they left "slack" in the wires and told me I won't have it happen again.
Blue Ox Tow System / U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #8

Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhorzz View Post
The same thing happened to our front shade while we were traveling. Thank goodness it was only about 1/2 way down.
It too was a result of broken wire directly at the motor attachment. I took it to a local shop that does work on my cars. (I couldn't get into my RV dealer for a month as they are constantly backed up). They ordered the part from the dealer and installed it. My extended warranty covered the bulk of the cost. I paid my $100 deductible, and premium shipping cost. The cause.... I was told the wires running up to the motor were too tight and vibration and stress snapped one off. When repairing it, they left "slack" in the wires and told me I won't have it happen again.
Mine was the shade material rubbed against the ( slack wire ) and cut right through it. When it happens again they will tell you the wire was too slack

Old 09-10-2016, 04:19 PM   #9
Steelhorzz

Actually my wires are behind a plastic "trim plate". The shade material does not touch them . It runs down "a channel" on each side of the windshield area.
I had removed the plate initially in order to see if it was something easy I could fix. As it was broken off at the motor, I knew soldering would not be a long term answer.
Blue Ox Tow System / U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #10

My Georgetown Rolling Screen Failed Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorio View Post
Well when you upgrade and get power shades you know what is going to happen. you are right they break. Mine is a design fault, from years of rolling in and out the shade has cut through the wiring right next to the motor. Does anyone know if there has been a recall on the front power shades? Thank you for any help with this.
Mine failed too on my 2013 Georgetown. It came down and would not go back up. It just made a beep but would not move. I took it down and the insulation on one wire was rubbed through. It is a really sloppy designed product. I wrapped the wire with tape and re-routed it. It worked great for a little while and then stopped again. It won't move up or down now. It just beeps. I am wondering if the rolling surfaces are binding. There is no decent bearing at one end; just a crude journal metal-on-metal type bearing. I have been rolling it up by hand and putting bungies around it to hold it during travel. I have an extended warranty. I'll try that next but will have to pay the deductible.

Tags
power