Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #1

378TS Quality feedback

We are about 3 - 4 months away from pulling the trigger on a new Class A Motor Coach and if we go with gas the layout that most appeals to us is the 378TS. We are looking for any feedback at all, good and/or bad, regarding the Georgetown and more specifically the 378TS? Will be towing a vehicle. Our primary use will be to drive from Florida to Maryland for a month or so visit with the Grandchildren each year and then a long distance return trip home via Western states visits.
jimrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:37 PM   #2

Welcome

Buying NOTE:
If you find a 2015 model in the next few months that has MSRP $149,000 you should expect to get it for about $110,000 or less out the door being its 1 yr old.
If you buy a 2016 which has the new Ford 6 speed transmission the same rig at $149,000 you may be able to get them down to $120,000 - $130,000 range.

I have a 2012 378TS XL that I bought new.
We were amazed at the size of the main room with the slide out.
Anyone who come sin for the first time loves the size as well as the extra ceiling height the XL has for tall people. No we are not full timers but have well over 40,000 miles on our Georgetown and the Ford F=53 chassis and drive train is great. Plenty of power and torque for the 38' motorhome. All you have to do it change oil and filter regularly. At 30,000 miles I flushed the brakes, transmission and cooling system. I believe in maintaining my rig so I did these items because I depend upon it getting me some where and rather take care of my baby so it has no surprises on the road.

I pull a small Fiat that only weighs 2,400 lbs and its like nothing is there holding you back. If you go a bit larger say 3,500 - 4,000 lbs would be ok.

Gas mileage is about 7 MPG on a reasonable day and you can get close to 8 mpg if you keep it in the 55 to 60 miles per hour range. Remember the weight is a max of 26,000 lbs and that is why the low mileage.

NOW the box Forest River installs on the chassis.
Some of the positives I really liked was the sheet of fiberglass on the roof.
Custom paint job with 4 coats of clear coats
22.5" Michelin tires
Exterior cargo compartment space
Installed Washer/Dryer combo is worthwhile for long trips or longer stays camping

Some of the stuff that is not great in my rig.
Sofa/sleeper is not the greatest material and really isn't that comfortable.
I replaced mine with a double recliner being its only my wife and I.

Workmanship and appliances are about the same you get in every trailer or motorhome. Some rigs sometimes look they were built on a Friday before a holiday weekend and some other have no major issues at all.

Some suggestions would be to make sure you have a great dealer that has been there for a long time and has the facilities to go maintenance.

Do not sign any paperwork to finalize the deal until you do a complete walk around and test everything a few times. A good dealer will show you how everything works while it hooked up to power. It's always a good plan to find a campground close to your dealer after you buy and spend a few days checking out what's working or not.
This way you can bring it back and have them take care of all issues.

Now Forest River does a good job backing their products with a good dealer all within the first year. So expect to have it in the shop a few times in the first year to resolve problems. If you want extended warranty from the dealer I would just put $1,200- $1,500 in a separate bank account and not buy any extended warranty from anyone. Ford cover most anything within the 3 years 36,000 miles and comes with free towing to a Ford dealer.

So there is a short list of things that come to my mind and I'm sure other fellow owners with add things as time goes on.

Hope these notes help you make a great buy.
Iggy
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #3

Question Thanks for the reply

Thanks Iggy for your response. I tell you I am starting to get a little overwhelmed and discouraged as I review all of these posts. Now I understand that most people post for help or complaints. I am reading too many posts with coach issues that seem to be very expensive to repair, window leaking issues, ceiling panel issues, leveler issues, slide out problems, etc.. I am also seeing things like people installing additional chassis type devices, such as stabilizer bars, sway bars, etc... making me a little nervous.
jimrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #4

I'm very happy with my rig after I got the bugs worked out the first 6 months.

No doubt it is an expensive toy. Yes you hear about problems here but that is the minority of owners. If you are a little mechanically/electrically inclined you will do well. The bottom line is that you have to use it much more than a few weekends a year to make it worth while for your family and your pocket.

You can also find someone who has one a few years old in your local area and save a bunch. You do need to know the condition of it and be able to inspect it from top to bottom before buying.

Again if you are having second thoughts its better to wait and continue reading more about the Georgetown.

Good luck.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:43 AM   #5

378 Quality

Thought I'd add my 2 cents.We also have a 2012- 378 . Our experience has been fairly positive .Most of the issues have been more of a nuisance variety eg malfunctioning propane detector ,loose TV splitter etc. Iggy's right when he suggests importance of regular maintenance .We also bought a protection plan from 3rd party so anything major (faulty chassis A/C) that's come up I've jumped on . Unless things have changed, you'll likely end up having to replace the stock bed mattress and sleeper sofa with something more comfortable - we had to upgrade the bed mattress and I'm changing out the sofa before we go south this year. Overall for a class A it's been pretty good so far
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
378ts, quality