Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2016, 08:18 PM   #1

5 Propane regulators in 15 months!

This is getting ridiculous! I have a 2015 GT 364 with a single built-in propane tank. Much to my amazement, I just purchased my 5th propane regulator in 15 months. Each one is a vented, dual diaphragm model installed with the vent pointing downward as directed on the package. It's the same thing every time. There is a port on the side of the smaller of the two diaphragms which leaks propane non-stop after two or three months of use. (Leak location verified with soapy solution.) Although they are easy to change (about $35), I am beginning to wonder if I am the only one having this problem. The only thing that I could possibly attribute this to is that it may be associated with propane fill-ups. Any ideas?

Vince
Old 05-03-2016, 08:44 PM   #2

Possible over filled tank.
If it is over filled with liquid and no room for it to gas the pressure will build in the warmer temps.
Are you sure the regulator went bad or was it just bleeding off excess pressure.
What does the gauge on the tank read?
A full tank relates to outside air temp and actually I think it only get 3/4 full which will show full.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:16 PM   #3

Iggy,
You may be onto something. I had it filled up (just above the "F" mark) in OH the first week in April and went to Texas for two weeks. When we got home early last week, the tank showed just below the "F". While we noticed the smell slightly while in TX, it started becoming more noticeable on the way home. Since being home, it has become quite pronounced.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:03 AM   #4

If you look at the gauge on the tank the needle will be around 75% which is full. Like I said you need space for the liquid to expand in the tank.
The person who filled it may not have done it correctly and over filled.
Look at the face of the gauge closely and read what it says in the background. Here is a picture of the gauge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	propane.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	106850  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:25 AM   #5

After the first time I had my tank filled I started having trouble with my heater working. I thought I had a heater or regulator problem and had planned on getting it checked at my next warranty repair. The problem eventually fixed itself before I took it in. After reading other posts on the tank being over filled I chalked it up to that being the cause. Have had the tank filled several times since with no problems.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
This is getting ridiculous! I have a 2015 GT 364 with a single built-in propane tank. Much to my amazement, I just purchased my 5th propane regulator in 15 months. Each one is a vented, dual diaphragm model installed with the vent pointing downward as directed on the package. It's the same thing every time. There is a port on the side of the smaller of the two diaphragms which leaks propane non-stop after two or three months of use. (Leak location verified with soapy solution.) Although they are easy to change (about $35), I am beginning to wonder if I am the only one having this problem. The only thing that I could possibly attribute this to is that it may be associated with propane fill-ups. Any ideas?

Vince
Where are you getting tank filled, over filling can cause this. I got mine blown when they didn't vent the tank will filling it.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:52 PM   #7

Some individuals when filling the tank wait for the automatic stop to kick in and stop the flow but that can be will above the full mark, which will overfill the tank. I had this happen 1 time, and luckily did not cause any issues. When filling the individual need to also watch the gauge and stop and the correct time. 80% is considered FULL. Just an FYI, I always stand behind the person filling and watch.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:59 AM   #8

I have had 2 failures in 3 years. Here is what I do.
When home, I go to the same place.
I turn off the gas before filling. The person always opens the bleed valve. He than starts the pump until propane comes out of the bleed valve. He stops the pump, closes the bleed valve and disconnects the hose.
I think this is key, open the valve very slowly, I mean creep it open. IMHO I think if you open the valve fast, the cheapo regulators have a problem.
Oh, buy a spare and it will never fail but you will lug it around forever.
I am still looking for that lifetime warranty regulator.
Has anyone scrapped the dual stage regulator for a single stage. Never had an issue on my lot TT.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:27 AM   #9

Thanks guys. Although I've never had the tank filled at the same place twice, I need to keep a closer eye on the process. Yes, the problems seem to occur shortly after the filling process. I also wonder if the supply valve may be getting left open inadvertently while the tank is being filled. That I can take care of myself. Once again, you have proved your worth. Thanks all.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
Thanks guys. Although I've never had the tank filled at the same place twice, I need to keep a closer eye on the process. Yes, the problems seem to occur shortly after the filling process. I also wonder if the supply valve may be getting left open inadvertently while the tank is being filled. That I can take care of myself. Once again, you have proved your worth. Thanks all.
I dont trust anyone anymore after being burned a couple times so I always shut the tank off before I head to the propane store and I always make sure they have the vent open during the process

Tags
propane