Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #1

5 Star Tuner

This is for all the guys using the 5 star tuner, I'm kinda on the fence about buying one, my question is what year are you running, as I'm looking at installing on our 2014 377xl. What about issues with Ford warranty and what great advantage has it given. As for me to purchase I would be looking at around 575.00 US dollars shipped to Canada.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
kdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:25 PM   #2

I am with you on the fence I have a 2012 378XL and been thinking about installing before our 3 month trip this June. But want to hear from anyone that has it installed. Not trying to hijack your thread.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:05 AM   #3

I have it installed on my 2013 Coachmen Mirada 35DL. It doesn't give you any more mpg than stock, but what it does give you is reduced downshifts, better throttle response, and quicker shifting overall. It just seems to be a much more powerful motor with the tuner installed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:51 AM   #4

I'm running it on our 2012 Lexi 283ts. It was designed to do more to improve the tranny shifting than to provide more horsepower.
It does increase hp maybe 10-15, but the real improvement comes from improving the shift points.
When going up a grade as on an x-way, no more dropping from OD into the "screaming third". Now it maintains OD, and then will drop into forth, and then into third, if needed. I run my cruise control alot, and find the tranny maintains its set gear selection a lot longer going up a grade.
Also, when cresting that grade, tranny used to stay in the lower gear for several hunderd yards. Now, it shifts back to the higher gear much much quicker.
Acceleration is improved a bit. You will notice it when under hard acceleration like entering an x-way on ramp, or passing. Not gobs of HP, but noticable.
If your expecting big increases in HP and performance, you might be dissapointed, but you will definately notice the improved "driveability" of the rig.
Happy customer, and whould buy it again.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #5
toolman_57

There is a function on the tuner that allows you to return the computer to stock mode. Not sure if it leaves a "footprint."
toolman_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #6

SCT claims that it does not leave a foot print. I guess we will find out somewhere down the road, I just installed mine after a lot if soul searching and worry about my factory warranty because thus is a brand new coach but I hated the way it shifted on all the hills around southern Ohio and northern Kentucky. I also travel a lot out west, Co, Wy, Sd and Mt. Time will tell if it was worth it or not having owned four Ford Diesel trucks I have always be afraid to use a tunner because Ford is real strict about there use. Since this one is not really a power tune but is mostly for smothing out the transmission shift points I am hoping it will be ok.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #7
toolman_57

+1. I followed the same logic when deciding to do the 5 Star. Used it on our trip from Maryland to California and back--very happy so far. The "sweet spot" for me is between 65 and 70 mph on the highway. Set the cruise and unless there are no "big" hills, I get no shifting until it drops below 62 or so. If I see it starting to drop that low, I switch off the cruise and feather the throttle to keep it from dropping into 3rd gear.

But I'm guessing that the XL might have a different gear ratio than the 364.
toolman_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #8

Seems the 6spd transmission has fixed most of the "gear searching" issues, no? Full disclosure, I only have 2 hours driving time on my 364 but it was a pretty good mix of hills, curves and highway driving and it was pretty smooth. My father in law has a 2015 Fleetwood Storm with the 5spd and mine seemed a lot smoother and more quiet than I remember his while on our road trip to FL over the winter.....
Melvinson404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #9

I have one on my 02 Excursion V-10. 5star really knows what they are doing! It's not all about power with them. They want their tune to be an all around good performer. Their testimonials are all spot on. The newer V-10 are just as good with a tune. I believe the newer stuff is drive by wire. The factory program doesn't give you full throttle when you think you have it. 5star's tune gives you 1-1 throttle opening, meaning 100% pedal to the floor gives you 100% throttle opening. I think he factory only gives you 75% under certain conditions.
Mike at 5star will answer all your questions better than I could. He is very good with customer service and will answer any question you have.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:26 PM   #10

So has anyone installed the 5star tune on a 2016 with 6spd transmission? Any improvement?
Melvinson404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvinson404 View Post
So has anyone installed the 5star tune on a 2016 with 6spd transmission? Any improvement?
I am curious to because I cant see how the new 6 speed could be improved.. It is so much better than the 5 speed
Old 04-13-2016, 05:33 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnut View Post
I am curious to because I cant see how the new 6 speed could be improved.. It is so much better than the 5 speed

Agreed. I'm sure there may be improvements in performance, but I'm pretty happy with what I'm getting from mine, and I was use to a diesel. Pulled a toad from OH to FL and never drop below 55mph, and engine was never above 3200rpm. I'm good with that

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvinson404 View Post
I talked to them last month for my 2016 Georgetown XL 350. The question was asked about whether I was a 5 or 6 spd(I am on the older 2015 chases w/5-er) but implied that 6sp version wasn't out yet. At least that was my take on the questions.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
I talked to them last month for my 2016 Georgetown XL 350. The question was asked about whether I was a 5 or 6 spd(I am on the older 2015 chases w/5-er) but implied that 6sp version wasn't out yet. At least that was my take on the questions.
Oh the 6 speed is out and after driving a 5 speed for 4 years I could never go back now that we are driving our new 6 speed version.. Its like day vs night.. No massive jumps in RPM and with the extra gear every little hill does not require a high rev down shift.. Way more fun to drive
Old 04-13-2016, 10:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Oh the 6 speed is out and after driving a 5 speed for 4 years I could never go back now that we are driving our new 6 speed version.. Its like day vs night.. No massive jumps in RPM and with the extra gear every little hill does not require a high rev down shift.. Way more fun to drive
Pretty sure he means the 5star tune for 6 speed isn't out yet.
carmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:39 AM   #16

Quote:
I'm running a 5 star tune on my F350 diesel. I know it isn't what the original question was but because I have a 6 speed in that truck, I can tell you that 5 star can really work wonders with the shift points.

Although I don't have a driving RV, here is what they've done with the 6 speed from what I have experienced.

Shift points are a little more crisp yet still very smooth. There was a 6 gear bog on the Superduties where it would hold 6th gear all the way down to about 39mph where we'd be running about 900rpm. 5 star changed the shift points to now it will drop down to 5th gear at about 45mph and 4th gear at about 38mph. It is much more responsive and much more driver friendly.

Again, I understand we are talking about 2 different vehicles but for those like you who can't see how they can improve it, you'd be surprised once you actually tune what they can do to something that seems great right out of the factory.

And lastly, I got the tuner specifically for the trans tuning, not because it gave more hp/tq. I would NEVER go back to factory tuning.

-------------

To the person questioning about a "footprint"

All tuners leave a footprint that Ford can see (manufacturer, not dealer). I don't care what SCT says.. they do leave one and they've been leaving them since around 2005 +/-. Not only that, but for those tuners that tie into the ECU wire harnesses that don't download an actual file but "fool" the ECU, Ford was able to see those since around 2005 as well as I know one of the guys who was responsible for creating the software for finding "modifications".

It requires the dealer to hook up their computer to the vehicle and Ford will take control of it and download certain files that the dealerships don't have access to. This usually will only happen with a catastrophic
failure so I really wouldn't worry about that. Gas tuners don't do much for hp/tq increase unless you are turbo/super charged.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmex View Post
Pretty sure he means the 5star tune for 6 speed isn't out yet.
Thanks - I wasn't clear - I did mean the 5-Star...yes the 6 speed is out - wish I had but wasn't a deal breaker for the Coach we wanted.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote