Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2018, 06:21 PM   #1

5 Star Tuner for Georgetown Motorhomes

Well even though I'm very happyt with the performance of my 2012 XL Georgetown 378TS I have decided to get the 5 Star Tuner programming for the V-10.
I selected Class A - Ford V-10 6.8L with 3 valve engine and that correlated to the years up to 2015 with the 5 speed transmission.
Obviously the new 6 speed transmission is another programming code.

So lets hear what others who have it say.

I got a great price on it using the iRV2 group discount which made the price go down from $499 plus shipping = $529
to $429.95 and free shipping which saved $100

I should get it by the end of the week and as in the past I will do my best to document on the programming install as well as my personal feeling on what I think changed on the power, torque, shifting and mpg and how it changed.

The Programming I ordered will be installed into a programmer that is plugged into the F-53 OBD-II port under the dash.
After the programming is uploaded it can be removed or you can keep it plugged in to see your engine data such as speed, RPM's and gear you are in. It may do more but at this time not sure.

So when it arrives I will have pictures and steps as we go.

Here is the discount Link I used to get the discount
Ford IRV2 Group Buy with The 5 Star Tune - 5 Star Tuning
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Iggy......

I’m missing something here. If you’re happy with the V-10 performance today....what do you hope to accomplish with the 5 Star Tuner?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Iggy......

I’m missing something here. If you’re happy with the V-10 performance today....what do you hope to accomplish with the 5 Star Tuner?
I plan on keeping my Georgetown a while longer and what I have read about performance enhancements I just may want to drive another 60,000 miles more relaxed maybe. I don't know but it will be a new experience for me and time will tell.
It's on money and you can't take it with you. lol
Old 05-21-2018, 10:36 PM   #4

More Data about 5 Star Tuner

The 5 Star Tuner also is able to read any fault code and able to reset them.
So it seems it is similar to other ODB II Readers with memory to store original OEM code.
Also it comes with USB cable to update firmware via internet and your computer.

I have attached the Code Reader X4 Manual
Attached Files
File Type: pdf X4-User-Manual_002.pdf (827.0 KB, 114 views)
Old 05-21-2018, 11:17 PM   #5
Bill & Janet

Installing the 5 Star Tuning was best thing I ever did. Fuel mileage was not increased but power and torque differently were. The first thing I noticed was when accelerating from a stop, it accelerated and achieve the desired speed faster. And No matter which direction I pull onto Interstate 40, I am still accelerating up hill once I get on the highway. Used to struggle doing this but now my Georgetown will get to 65 mph much faster. I live on a gravel road and the first time I drove I actually spun the rear wheels exhilarating like I normally did. Scared the poop out of me. It doesn't lower the RPM when going down the road. But when you start going uphill it doesn't do that downshifting to where the engine is screaming. It will stay in overdrive longer. Then it will shift down one gear. Would drive me nuts when it would downshift in engine RPM was around 4000, both because I didn't think it was good on the engine and I knew that wasn't get on my ears. This is what impressed me the most.

I have made two trips from Arkansas to Houston, one without and one with the 5 Star. The difference was amazing. Made driving the motorhome more enjoyable. It was well worth the money. Installation was very easy. The first thing it does is upload the old turning from the factory. This way if something is not right with the new programming you can put the original factory back in. Once the factory programming is uploaded into the programmer you then download the program that came with the programer. As my daughter used to say, easy cheesy.

km5xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:23 PM   #6

Following...thanks for the discount link... I'd been intrigued by the 5 star but didn't want to use it until AFTER my warranty from Ford expired. I'll be interested you your comments.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:11 AM   #7

Following also, I have been thinking about doing this also especially on windy days when climbing any hill. I cant decide to try the programmer with a stock intake and exhaust or try it with a banks intake and exhaust. Has anyone tried the full banks power pack?
jfp2673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #8

The factory warranty item is the big one for me -- so that is the only thing holding me back.

I just finished 4800 miles from FL to MN, and out to western SD -- sure would have been nice to see how it would have done on that trip!
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:11 AM   #9

Bill

1. OK did you stick with the new program they sent you or did you do any modification to it?

2. Did you leave it plugged in to use the gauges for a while driving?

3. It talks about how many times it can be used in. Have you state smog inspected your rig with it in or did you return to Ford OEM programming before state smog test?

4. It says you need to know your rear differential gear ratio. Not sure if I know mine with my 242" wheel base rig.
Did you have to know this on yours?

Thanks for the information
Old 05-22-2018, 08:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookupAndGo View Post
The factory warranty item is the big one for me -- so that is the only thing holding me back.

I just finished 4800 miles from FL to MN, and out to western SD -- sure would have been nice to see how it would have done on that trip!

So after 5 years you are OK.
My 2012 is well over 5 years and I have 60,000 miles so I'm not worried.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #11
WhoDoMan

Can’t wait to hear of the experience.
whoDoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:03 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My warranty is up in Nov (2016 6spd) and may go this route, but would like to hear how others are affected on the 6spd models first. I don't have a problem with power, acceleration, or over revving climbing hills, but more power is always a good thing. Right?
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
My warranty is up in Nov (2016 6spd) and may go this route, but would like to hear how others are affected on the 6spd models first. I don't have a problem with power, acceleration, or over revving climbing hills, but more power is always a good thing. Right?
When I was being misled by FR & Ford (no one would admit that they programmed a 74mph MAX SPEED ALLOWED into the ECU!) and wasted 3 weeks of my life investigating defects that were not there, I came across another RV Forum via Google that explained the problem. I installed the 5 star standard supplied V10 6speed Tx program (have 2016/17-depending on who is quoting model year), problem went away and have never looked back. The Tx shifts much better than FR supplied and the upper limit is now 99, but I won't ever try to test it.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:08 AM   #14
Bill & Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Bill

1. OK did you stick with the new program they sent you or did you do any modification to it?

2. Did you leave it plugged in to use the gauges for a while driving?

3. It talks about how many times it can be used in. Have you state smog inspected your rig with it in or did you return to Ford OEM programming before state smog test?

4. It says you need to know your rear differential gear ratio. Not sure if I know mine with my 242" wheel base rig.
Did you have to know this on yours?

Thanks for the information
1. I stuck with the original programming. The only thing I changed was the speed limit. I set my speed limit at 70 mph because I tow a Honda CRV and the manual says not to tow over 65.

2. I did not leave it plugged in. I have thought about doing it. But I'm afraid I may end up watching it closer than road not the person in front of me slowing down for the bear crossing interstate 40. Have about hit two bears in the last three years. But I still may give it a shot.

3. We don't have estate smog inspection. So I really don't know how to answer this question. I had a few questions for them so I use their "contact us" and sent them an email. They were quick to reply. So that's my suggestion.

4. I did not give them the wheelbase. That was one of my questions after I had already ordered it. They told me just go with the program that was on there. And like you I do not know what my gear ratio is for a 242 inch wheel base. I could find no sticker anywhere on the Motor home.

Hope this helps.

km5xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:08 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
When I was being misled by FR & Ford (no one would admit that they programmed a 74mph MAX SPEED ALLOWED into the ECU!) and wasted 3 weeks of my life investigating defects that were not there, I came across another RV Forum via Google that explained the problem. I installed the 5 star standard supplied V10 6speed Tx program (have 2016/17-depending on who is quoting model year), problem went away and have never looked back. The Tx shifts much better than FR supplied and the upper limit is now 99, but I won't ever try to test it.
That is good to hear. My buddy has same coach (bought at same time) only his was built on a 2015 chassis and has the 5spd. There is a big difference in how they drive when pulling or climbing a hill. I can walk away from him on a hill at a much lower RPM, but would enjoy the added power. Have you noticed a change in MPG under normal driving or towing?
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:07 PM   #16

I am anxiously awaiting Iggy's results! We've thought about getting the tuner, but were somewhat torn.

Thank you Iggy!
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post

Good information.
So you turned off the governor control and/or upped it to 90 mph?
Great to hear positive info on the 5 Star programming
Old 05-22-2018, 05:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by km5xa View Post
1. I stuck with the original programming. The only thing I changed was the speed limit. I set my speed limit at 70 mph because I tow a Honda CRV and the manual says not to tow over 65.

2. I did not leave it plugged in. I have thought about doing it. But I'm afraid I may end up watching it closer than road not the person in front of me slowing down for the bear crossing interstate 40. Have about hit two bears in the last three years. But I still may give it a shot.

3. We don't have estate smog inspection. So I really don't know how to answer this question. I had a few questions for them so I use their "contact us" and sent them an email. They were quick to reply. So that's my suggestion.

4. I did not give them the wheelbase. That was one of my questions after I had already ordered it. They told me just go with the program that was on there. And like you I do not know what my gear ratio is for a 242 inch wheel base. I could find no sticker anywhere on the Motor home.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.
The differential Gear Ratio is on the rear axle data plate in the lower right hand corner.
I believe my rig (242" wheel base) has a Dana S130 differential, 15,000 lb with a gear ratio of 5.38. I will have to verify it on the label next time I'm underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	172982  
Old 05-22-2018, 05:25 PM   #19

Ive had mine installed for better than three years in my 2013 378. No notice of any positive change in MPG still getting 6.25 - 7.5 while towing ford explorer. Depends on if I stay at around 60 mph or run closer to 70. Power difference not sure they claim around 30 HP if I recall but big improvement is the shifting. The screaming 5th to 3rd downshifts are now a thing of the past and shifting from stop up to highway speed is also much better. I did 30 k oil change this past weekend and have no regrets installing the tune. I’ve also never heard of anyone having problems with warranty after installing although I suppose this could be a possibility If the dealer wanted to not be helpful. I predict you will like the modification and find the price is very fair. I live in Southern WV and the improvement in driving now the 4th gear is actually used with the tune is a much needed improvement. Still a little puzzled why ford had their program operating like it was pre tune. Definitely not one of their better ideas.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:21 PM   #20

5 Star Tune is Amazing

Quick basic 5 Star Tune remarks on my Class C, V10 Triton:
Driving with a series of column shifts & tow/haul push/unpush is a thing of the past. I now drive with the accelerator. The V10 smoothly reaches speed correctly matching rpm with the appropriate gear. Going up a hill, I just press the gas & again rpm is matched with the proper gear. NO MORE OUTRAGEOUS GEAR SKIPPING DOWNSHIFTS !

Here's the key: Ford just sells cut away chassis. They don't know or care if it will become a Class A, or B, or C, or ambulance, or wrecker or whatever. So how could the factory tune be properly matched to weight, axle, fuel, torque, etc, etc. ?

5 Star knows. You've seen it said here many times, the new tune dramatically improves the comfort and driveability of the coach. IMHO the tune is a bargain.
turbocc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown, motorhome