Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 07:42 PM   #21

Thanks Turbocc this is what we are learning from others who have upgraded. Everyone seem to describe it more in lay terms which I think helps everyone.
And to remind everyone that this modified tune does not get you better gas mileage. The V-10 is a wild animal and it needs it go juice.
Starting this tread was a fluke as I had no idea so many have added the modified 5 Star Tune to their Georgetowns.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:20 PM   #22

I have read on another rv forum that the 5 star tune allows you to use your cruise control without the transmission downshifting at the slightest incline.
jfp2673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:50 AM   #23

I’m very interested in this mod for my 2011 337DS. Thanks to all who have given their input. I’ve put it on my to do list. ��
Marvlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfp2673 View Post
I have read on another rv forum that the 5 star tune allows you to use your cruise control without the transmission downshifting at the slightest incline.
That would be good at times. I think its called locking the transmission torque convertor but haven't read about it.
Are you talking about 1RV2.com forum?
Old 05-23-2018, 09:01 AM   #25

Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Following...thanks for the discount link... I'd been intrigued by the 5 star but didn't want to use it until AFTER my warranty from Ford expired. I'll be interested you your comments.
The tuner can store the fatory program and clear computer and reinstall the stock program at any time, as many times as you like.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
The tuner can store the fatory program and clear computer and reinstall the stock program at any time, as many times as you like.
Thank you for that information. I read something in the manual that if you install and uninstall 5 times it locks out the programmer.
I know believe that is if you do it the programming on 5 different Vin# vehicles. Like a dealer may want to do.
But as you said it can be done many times on the same Vin# vehicle.

Thank you for that clarification.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #27

The 5 Star Tuning ODB tuner was a good investment on my 6 speed Trition V-10 Coachman Leprechaun 240FS. With a K& N Cold sit intake (Ford OEM is puny) the 5 Star tuner was programmed for that modification. I have slightly better gas mileage (I use Dash Command on my iPhone and BT1 ODB module) to monitor all engine parameters incl real-time and average gas mileage besides GPS accurate speed. The best feature besides delaying uphill shifting is holding any gear on big downhills with just a tap of the brake in the tow/haul mode. Going down White Bird hill in Idaho, I never had to ride the brakes on that long downhill. Keeping the Triton away from 4,000+ rpm will aid gas mileage and the 5 Star tuner does that. With up to 5 custom tune, adding Banks headers, etc is an easy option as 5 Star provides that update as needed online.
landsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsail View Post
The 5 Star Tuning ODB tuner was a good investment on my 6 speed Trition V-10 Coachman Leprechaun 240FS. With a K& N Cold sit intake (Ford OEM is puny) the 5 Star tuner was programmed for that modification. I have slightly better gas mileage (I use Dash Command on my iPhone and BT1 ODB module) to monitor all engine parameters incl real-time and average gas mileage besides GPS accurate speed. The best feature besides delaying uphill shifting is holding any gear on big downhills with just a tap of the brake in the tow/haul mode. Going down White Bird hill in Idaho, I never had to ride the brakes on that long downhill. Keeping the Triton away from 4,000+ rpm will aid gas mileage and the 5 Star tuner does that. With up to 5 custom tune, adding Banks headers, etc is an easy option as 5 Star provides that update as needed online.
Thanks landsail for that info.
Questions if I buy and add a K&N Filter will 5 Star have to send me a new program for that or is it already build into the programmer and I just tell it what I have?

Thanks
Iggy
Old 05-23-2018, 11:51 AM   #29

5 Star Tuning

Tell 5 Star what modifications you have done or plan to do. They are very helpful in supplying a standard tune and custom tune for your intake or exhaust modifications.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Tell 5 Star what modifications you have done or plan to do. They are very helpful in supplying a standard tune and custom tune for your intake or exhaust modifications.
I already ordered it and told them I have the stock Ford OEM intake.
So if I change will they modify and send me a new program or is it already in the programmer and I can change it myself?
Old 05-23-2018, 12:41 PM   #31

Stock is what comes with the standard tuner( their optional tuner with gauges is not as good as phone based apps using Dash Command and the other software that comes with the BT1 module by Go Point Technologies
Old 05-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #32

As you add modifications you download them with a special link by email and install that into the tuner, then replace what is in the ECU on the vehicle. Their updates use Windoze and not the Mac OS
Old 05-23-2018, 02:20 PM   #33

Iggy
I was searching through google but I think it was 1RV2.com forum. I also found a post where 5star recommended not spending the money on the banks exhaust for the 3 valve v10. Apparently the 2 valve v10 had a very restrictive exhaust system
jfp2673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:39 PM   #34

Quote:
Iggy
I was searching through google but I think it was 1RV2.com forum. I also found a post where 5star recommended not spending the money on the banks exhaust for the 3 valve v10. Apparently the 2 valve v10 had a very restrictive exhaust system

True, headers on a 3 valve V-10 Triton engine would be a waste, however a less restrictive Flowmaster big block muffler could help.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #35

Quote:
As you add modifications you download them with a special link by email and install that into the tuner, then replace what is in the ECU on the vehicle. Their updates use Windoze and not the Mac OS
Thank you for that information. Cleared up a few questions.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:17 PM   #36

Quote:
Iggy
I'm also on iRV2.com and read a lot there.
Don't plan on doing anything with the exhaust system. I may replace in future the air intake with a cold air K & N cleanable Filter.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:50 PM   #37
Bill & Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I'm also on iRV2.com and read a lot there.
Don't plan on doing anything with the exhaust system. I may replace in future the air intake with a cold air K & N cleanable Filter.
I too have thought about changing the air cleaner to the cold air K & N. Not sure what all I need and what all is entailed in doing the conversion.
km5xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:22 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by km5xa View Post
I too have thought about changing the air cleaner to the cold air K & N. Not sure what all I need and what all is entailed in doing the conversion.

K&N provides good instructions and eTrailer.com has a video on the installation.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #39

After reading through all the threads we ordered one today for our 2010 Georgetown 350. We are planning a trip out west (from Georgia) this Aug/Sept
totaling about 5000 miles. Looking forward to the improvement is states it does.

R & S
2010 Georgetown 350
2012 Honda CRV toad
rstoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I've searched and I haven't seen anything as far as a K&N cold air intake for a Class A motorhome, only the Class C. Which in reality, the Class A air filter is in front of the engine and away from the heat anyway.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown, motorhome