Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2018, 07:38 AM   #41

Fortunately, the wires on that switch aren't that long
If you are lucky, the factory left the tags on the two wires. One goes to the refrigerator and the other goes to your AC panel. Make sure all the breakers are on. If you have power in the duplex and power on the whole panel from shore power it is either the transfer switch or the reefer. If the fridge is totally dead I would look at the switch.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:30 PM   #42

I tested everything tonight now that we are back from the trip and I had my electrical tools. Unfortunately I have confirmed my fridge and microwave are currently toast. I have ordered new control boards to hopefully fix each one. Now I need to figure out why. I know my main transfer switch is bad. It will not energize while on shore power but the gen side works. I have ordered a new transfer switch which should arrive tomorrow along with a surge protector (a little late for that). I still am surprised that that the gfi on the inverter never tripped while smoking the control board on the fridge. I understand the microwave since it’s unprotected. I don’t know if the plug I tied into caused the problem or something else. Lesson learned unfortunately the hard and expensive way to buy a surge protector.
teamg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:24 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamg5 View Post
I tested everything tonight now that we are back from the trip and I had my electrical tools. Unfortunately I have confirmed my fridge and microwave are currently toast. I have ordered new control boards to hopefully fix each one. Now I need to figure out why. I know my main transfer switch is bad. It will not energize while on shore power but the gen side works. I have ordered a new transfer switch which should arrive tomorrow along with a surge protector (a little late for that). I still am surprised that that the gfi on the inverter never tripped while smoking the control board on the fridge. I understand the microwave since it’s unprotected. I don’t know if the plug I tied into caused the problem or something else. Lesson learned unfortunately the hard and expensive way to buy a surge protector.
If you are talking about the transfer relay for either shore power or genny power I believe that relay is de-energized for shore power (default condition) and energizes for genny power. Shore power is default but genny has priority.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:15 AM   #44

Ok thanks. The issue is when I plug into shore power the transfer switch won’t energize to supply power to the RV with the gen off .If I push the contactor in to make the connection for shore power it won’t stay and pops back up.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:23 AM   #45

The transfer switch is not energized for shore power it is de-energized. It energizes for genny power. Pull one of the wires that control the relay and see if shore power is active.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:27 AM   #46

Here is a typical transfer relay diagram for my Georgetown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img20180601_06252357.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	174219  
Old 06-01-2018, 07:05 AM   #47

Quote:
Ok thanks. The issue is when I plug into shore power the transfer switch won’t energize to supply power to the RV with the gen off .If I push the contactor in to make the connection for shore power it won’t stay and pops back up.
call an electrician.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:42 AM   #48

Send a message via AIM to Ang21
50amp ?

Is this is a sales man issue, it ,could be anything from a bad breaker to faulty installation!
Ang21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:45 AM   #49

I actually had the pass thru on my inverter go bad and had to have it replaced
Junior11478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:18 AM   #50

Try resetting the GFCI. Try your microwave with the AC’s off.
BobbyLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:47 AM   #51

If you are on good shore power, the converter / charger isn’t working based on the inverter showing 11.7 vdc. The batteries are 40% or lower. If however the Xantrex equipment has charging duties, it isn’t working. Someone pointed out that you cannot reset a GFCI that doesn’t have AC power. Just like at home. I wonder if you have a sub-panel that is powered by inverter? Don’t know your unit, but there better be breakers somewhere if it powers more than the fridge. WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:22 AM   #52

GFIC Outlets

Quote:
I went around checking outlets and the GFI circuit is down. The microwave outlet works when pluging in a fan but only the light comes on with the microwave no other functions work. I GFI won’t reset either.
Check the GFIC outlet and the wiring to it. On my HW 277, the GFIC outlet was not working, but the rest of the outlets were. I replaced the GFIC outlet, taking great care to put the wires into the new outlet just as they were on the old one. Turned power on and could not get the new one to reset. Had green light on outlet but no power to any of the wall outlets. Refrig would not go to A/C mode, but microwave still worked. Turned power off, pulled GFIC outlet out and checked wiring from the start. Original wiring set up was wrong. Corrected the wiring and all is good. Check the wiring and check the outlet. They go bad on occasion.
Krod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:57 AM   #53

Update

Turns out I did burn up the main control board for the fridge and microwave in addition to the GFI outlet in the bathroom. I ordered the new boards online and I replaced everything. All is working again. Thanks for all the responses/help.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krod View Post
Check the GFIC outlet and the wiring to it. On my HW 277, the GFIC outlet was not working, but the rest of the outlets were. I replaced the GFIC outlet, taking great care to put the wires into the new outlet just as they were on the old one. Turned power on and could not get the new one to reset. Had green light on outlet but no power to any of the wall outlets. Refrig would not go to A/C mode, but microwave still worked. Turned power off, pulled GFIC outlet out and checked wiring from the start. Original wiring set up was wrong. Corrected the wiring and all is good. Check the wiring and check the outlet. They go bad on occasion.
I'm confused?? If you wired the new GFIC exactly the same as what was there before, how was it the "Original" setup was bad??? And rewiring the new Gfic fixed it???
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:50 AM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
I'm confused?? If you wired the new GFIC exactly the same as what was there before, how was it the "Original" setup was bad??? And rewiring the new Gfic fixed it???
He stated (emboldened in red) that the original wiring setup was wrong, which he originally copied when replacing the first gfci with a second one. Once he discovered this wiring setup was incorrect (the original and his copy thus of), he rewired the second GFCI correctly and problem was solved.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:53 AM   #56

Quote:
GFI's must be properly wired. Hot and Neutral In from the panel. Line side. And Hot and Neutral out. Load side. The hot and neutral must stay paired. Unlike a normal outlet that doesn't care how they are paired.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
He stated (emboldened in red) that the original wiring setup was wrong, which he originally copied when replacing the first gfci with a second one. Once he discovered this wiring setup was incorrect (the original and his copy thus of), he rewired the second GFCI correctly and problem was solved.
So, Krods Gfci never worked because of the bad wiring??? That doesn't pass the smell test?
Old 06-08-2018, 11:08 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
GFI's must be properly wired. Hot and Neutral In from the panel. Line side. And Hot and Neutral out. Load side. The hot and neutral must stay paired. Unlike a normal outlet that doesn't care how they are paired.
I'm very familiar with how the Gfci is wired!! I replaced mine a couple years ago wiring it exactly as what was there originally. Worked perfectly!
Old 06-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #59

Quote:
So, Krods Gfci never worked because of the bad wiring??? That doesn't pass the smell test?
Very possible. It's not out of the realm of possibilities that the installers can't read.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:53 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Very possible. It's not out of the realm of possibilities that the installers can't read.
Yeah right ttttt!! I wonder how long it took him to realize his Gfci never worked. Hehehe

Tags
50 amp, electric, electrical