Old 05-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #31
Mod free 5er

Is it not true that the neutral and ground are tied to the same terminal back at the main breaker box?

Old 05-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #32

You are kinda right they are both tied to the box, and you could use a ground for a neutral from a 50 amp breaker and get 110v I wouldn't recommend it. When I did A/C repair and needed 110 V . I had a 110v receptacle with 2 wires and alligator clamps on them I would hook 1 clamp to 1 lug in the disconnect and the other alligator to the box itself that gave me 110 V to use on roof tops for my equipment that I needed that was 110v. Now a day's the code requires a 110 box at the unit also. But yes it would give you 110v. 1 hot leg and a ground. But as the article says the car plug is most likely a welders config. 3 prong and not a 4 prong RV plug. So really I do not know what he's trying to do?

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:04 PM   #33

My RV breaker looks similar to the one the OP posted in #6, one thing that is missing from his picture is if there is a Neutral Bar in the breaker box that may not be shown in the picture.

if there is it would alleviate a lot of the speculation that the electrician wired the outlet wrong.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:19 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
You are kinda right they are both tied to the box, and you could use a ground for a neutral from a 50 amp breaker and get 110v I wouldn't recommend it. When I did A/C repair and needed 110 V . I had a 110v receptacle with 2 wires and alligator clamps on them I would hook 1 clamp to 1 lug in the disconnect and the other alligator to the box itself that gave me 110 V to use on roof tops for my equipment that I needed that was 110v. Now a day's the code requires a 110 box at the unit also. But yes it would give you 110v. 1 hot leg and a ground. But as the article says the car plug is most likely a welders config. 3 prong and not a 4 prong RV plug. So really I do not know what he's trying to do?
I've always had welder's and they have all been wired with 2 hot, a neutral and a ground wire on the receptacle itself even tho the plugs only have 3 lugs. Have always used 8-3 with ground.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:49 PM   #35
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbailey13 View Post
My RV breaker looks similar to the one the OP posted in #6, one thing that is missing from his picture is if there is a Neutral Bar in the breaker box that may not be shown in the picture.

if there is it would alleviate a lot of the speculation that the electrician wired the outlet wrong.
Have seen a lot of home 100A & 200A boxes where certified electricians have connected the neutral and ground to the same lug/terminal in the main box. The electrician could have if there were a ground wire, done the same in this incident, but evidently did not run a ground wire.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:04 PM   #36

What size is the wire going to that 50 amp breaker. It should be #8 but its tough to tell in the picture.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:09 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntaylor View Post
The power delivered to your house is 220V 2-phase
Just for fun, residential power is typically 240 volt 1 phase. There is no 2 phase power, only single phase and three phase.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:37 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
Just for fun, residential power is typically 240 volt 1 phase. There is no 2 phase power, only single phase and three phase.
Not so. The voltages in the 2 hot wires are 180 degrees out of phase. That makes it a 2-phase supply, and that's how you get 240V between the 2 hot wires. If the 2 hot wires were in phase, making it a 1-phase supply, you would have 0V between the hot wires. As you say, there is also 3-phase power; the 3 hot wires there are 120 degrees out of phase.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:44 PM   #39

Two Phase power does not exist. Either single phase like most homes or a 50 amp RV or 3 phase not found in RV

From Wilipedia..

Two-phase electrical power was an early 20th-century polyphase alternating current electric power distribution system. Two circuits were used, with voltage phases differing by one-quarter of a cycle, 90. Usually circuits used four wires, two for each phase. Less frequently, three wires were used, with a common wire with a larger-diameter conductor. Some early two-phase generators had two complete rotor and field assemblies, with windings physically offset to provide two-phase power. The generators at Niagara Falls installed in 1895 were the largest generators in the world at that time and were two-phase electric machines. As of 21st century, two-phase power was superseded with three phases and is not used in the industry. There remains, however, a two-phase commercial distribution system in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; many buildings in city center are permanently wired for two-phase[citation needed] and PECO (the local electric utility company) has continued the service.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:55 PM   #40
TGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbailey13 View Post

It looks like the view of the neutral/ground busbar in post #6 is partially obscured by the circuit breakers. However the busbar is visible in the slots without circuit breakers. The two white neutral wires are wired to the neutral/ground busbar and so are the two green wires.

Fast murrray is correct, residential homes are supplied by split-phase power, not 2-phase power.

Tags
50 amp, electrical