Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2018, 07:42 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I am an electrician but have no experience in MH world but common sense tells me that it works just like a residential system. Shore power is primary. Generator comes on when shore power stops. The transfer switch only allows for electric on one or the other. Transfer switches are designed to be repaired. not thrown away. Sometimes a simple cleaning of the contacts will make things right again. The transfer switch is made up of Two 3 pole contactors.
This is true for one scenario if the RV has automatic switch over. In that scenario the auto switch over will start the gen and bring it on line. This will happen if shore power is lost. The scenario this thread addresses is not that kind. The thread deals with shore power connected and the gen is manually started. In this case it's not the loss of shore power but the introduction of the gen power (simultaneously). The shore power does not have to be removed for this switching to take place. In AquaMan's scenario the generator will never come on line until shore power is removed. In my scenario shore power will automatically be disconnected and the RV connected to the gen power and switch back to shore power when the gen is shut down. Gen has priority but is not the default power source.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:58 AM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
This is true for one scenario if the RV has automatic switch over. In that scenario the auto switch over will start the gen and bring it on line. This will happen if shore power is lost. The scenario this thread addresses is not that kind. The thread deals with shore power connected and the gen is manually started. In this case it's not the loss of shore power but the introduction of the gen power (simultaneously). The shore power does not have to be removed for this switching to take place. In AquaMan's scenario the generator will never come on line until shore power is removed. In my scenario shore power will automatically be disconnected and the RV connected to the gen power and switch back to shore power when the gen is shut down. Gen has priority but is not the default power source.
I understand what you are saying, but it doesn't make any sense. Why would anyone want their generator to be priority? How is the generator not the default power source if it has priority over shore power? Why would you ever want the generator online if you have shore power?
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I understand what you are saying, but it doesn't make any sense. Why would anyone want their generator to be priority? How is the generator not the default power source if it has priority over shore power? Why would you ever want the generator online if you have shore power?
Default and priority are two different things. Default is the static (relay de-energized) condition and priority is what overrides (energizes) the default condition. I sometimes, while connected to shore power, have the air conditioners running and start the gen to switch over to gen power before disconnecting shore power and bring in the slides and so forth to prepare to leave the camp site without power interruption. It's just a convenience that can come in handy for various scenarios. That's why auto switching has replaced the unplug from shore power and plug into gen output located somewhere in the coach power bay. It of course has also become a big selling point. If your coach switches as you say then maybe you have the automatic change over package that will start the gen if shore power is lost. Totally different animal.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

How do you know you are on gen power and not still on shore power? I have done the same thing, but mine will switch over when shore power is dropped and not when the generator is started. I'm really not trying to be argumentative, just trying to see and learn the logic in how your system works.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
How do you know you are on gen power and not still on shore power? I have done the same thing, but mine will switch over when shore power is dropped and not when the generator is started. I'm really not trying to be argumentative, just trying to see and learn the logic in how your system works.
Good question. On my MH I have a Progressive EMS. This allows me to see how much current is actually coming from the shoe power. If no current then MH is running off of the generator.
You could have someone, that is knowledgeable with electricity, hook up an indicator light on the transfer switch to show which is running the MH.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have the Progressive EMS also. This is how I know what is running when.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #27

I have a 2012 GT 378 and I am relaying how it was delivered. If you gentlemen have done your own modifications/had factory options installed (Progressive EMS install) then how it works is your call. I didn't see the need for the after market EMS and am not familiar with its interconnect.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I have a 2012 GT 378 and I am relaying how it was delivered. If you gentlemen have done your own modifications/had factory options installed (Progressive EMS install) then how it works is your call. I didn't see the need for the after market EMS and am not familiar with its interconnect.
I wasn't too sure about the EMS until I plugged into a pedestal that had an open neutral. Possibly saved me thousands.
If the original post needs a quick and cheap solution then adding a couple of LEDs to the transfer switch relays would work.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #29

You all are smarter than me but I have to ask the OP just so I feel better...are you plugging the dogbone into the outlet directly or is there a long extension cord?

I had an experience where using a small 110 cord would cause some items (my smoker with electronics) to cycle off/on while simple resistive circuits like a crock pot were fine.

If there is a long 110v extension cord that is not properly sized for the load and distance my guess is just not enough amps for everything. In this case your house breaker would not trip and neither would your RV but downstream would be impacted and some items like an RV inverter may flicker.

The breaker trick mentioned earlier would validate this and so would using your 50A cord and converting right at the outlet.

If no extension everything these guys said before. Good luck and let us know what it is/was.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:35 PM   #30

if this is what you have you have not altered the auto switching and should function as said. The relay picture is from the ONAN manual showing how to interconnect the switching relay box. I think I'm done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EMSHW50C-5.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	167399   Click image for larger version

Name:	gg.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	167402  
Old 04-07-2018, 08:29 AM   #31