Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #1

98 Georgetown (F53) Running Hot

I have driven it only a few times but noticed that the coolant temp can go past the half way mark on the gauge. On a recent 100F day going to get tires it has gone as high as the L in NORMAL which is the last mark but the red line is still beyond. It was a short trip so while I was parking it was still on L but didn't move down for the 40 seconds I let it idle so I shut it off. Yesterday the temp was around 88F and going a steady 60 mph on the highway the temp climbed up to A then I heard the cooling fan kick in (it roared) then it lowered it back to the R-M range. Interesting enough while driving around real slow at the campgrounds the temp was lower, I assumed that the fan stayed on the whole time. While at work I was reading the Ford chassis service guide and under the cooling system it said that the fan shouldn't be needed while driving with adequate airflow going through radiator. At this point I haven't looked at the cooling system yet but plan on it when I get home but wanted to hear others experiences or suggestions. Is this normal or an indication that something isn't up to spec?

Thanks
rowekmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #2

Are you the original owner?
What engine?
How many miles?
Have you had any cooling system service done?
When was the cooling system flushed and refilled last?
Is the overflow filled to proper level?
Do you have any antifreeze or is it just water?
Have you had the pressure cap checked?
Have you pressure washed out the fins in the radiator?

You need to have some basic things done before you can get any magic solution here.
Good luck and let us know what you find
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #3

I am not the orginal owner. I just got it and its my first MH.

It has about 61K miles.

I haven't had any cooling service done yet. The previous owner raced boats and said he had all maintenance done to it but I am in the process of finding what exactly was done and when.

The overflow is slightly under the cold mark when cold. I plan on checking the radiator level next time (when it is cold).

It is not plain water in the system.

I will check the radiator cap I didn't think of that one.

I thought about checking for debris in the radiator fins but can't see the radiator when looking in through the front, I will remove the dog house and check today.

Thanks for the suggestions/ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Are you the original owner?
What engine?
How many miles?
Have you had any cooling system service done?
When was the cooling system flushed and refilled last?
Is the overflow filled to proper level?
Do you have any antifreeze or is it just water?
Have you had the pressure cap checked?
Have you pressure washed out the fins in the radiator?

You need to have some basic things done before you can get any magic solution here.
Good luck and let us know what you find
rowekmr is offline   Reply With Quote