Old 05-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #1

99 Georgetown 303 white smoke from 454 engine

I just purchased a 99 forest river Georgetown on a Craigslist ad knowing it had some problems. The most concerning of these is a lot of white smoke in the exhaust . I am kind of new to motor homes but not to engines so I will tackle this. The MH has only 33,000 miles has a Chev 454 vortec, but has been sitting only started occasionally for 7 years. I got it running easily and checked everything: no water in the oil, no, oil in the water, not low on water. I drove it home 50 miles , no overheating no visible smoke while driving. Still on starting and let idle it builds a lot of white smoke when revved up. I have only started to work on it but would like any thoughts on it.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Experienced Newbie

My 95 suburban has the 454 also. On initial startup, I too notice a lot of “white smoke“. However, once warmed up, this goes away. I attribute it to moisture in the exhaust system that just needs to burn out of the system. These engines trend to run on the hotter side and this attracts moisture as the system cools.

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #3

thanks for input. you may have the answer. I treated the gas with Seafoam for the drive home and testing the engine and now there is less white smoke. the stuff is great for cleaning old bad gas. I hope now will be just coach problems . The fridge is toast, but everything else is OK.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
Navion IQ 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by grades46 View Post
thanks for input. you may have the answer. I treated the gas with Seafoam for the drive home and testing the engine and now there is less white smoke. the stuff is great for cleaning old bad gas. I hope now will be just coach problems . The fridge is toast, but everything else is OK.
Most likely its your Valve guide seals, they tend to get hard & brittle with age. It allows oil to run down into the piston chamber when you shut the engine off. Its nothing major & an easy fix for most repair shops. But the heads must be pulled in order to do it.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #5
Anacortesians

White smoke is usually water vapor. If it's heavy for the first few minutes after a cold start, it's not probably a problem. if it's visible after running a while, I'd suspect a coolant leak into the engine cylinders (blown head gasket) or some iind of leak into the exhaust system.

Check cooland level frequently, and if it's going down fairly quickly, start looking at water-to-combustion/exhaust system leaks.