Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
Happy Member

A bit retro...

While watching an ol' flick...we noticed a CB radio in a MH in one of the scenes.......

So question for everyone....How many of you have CB radios in your rigs??
2013 FR GT 351DFS
GT4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #2

I was considering it being I have already a CB radio that I removed form my truck. The problem is installing the antenna as well as being a non-metalic shell is the big problem.

You need to buy a special antenna and coax that uses the coax as the metal reflector or ground plane. It really will be limited in what you can hear or transmit.

At the moment I pass.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
Happy Member

Yup, we're considering it too but just wanted to see what others have or done...
How about a portable antena?

just not sure yet....can go either way.
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 07-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKJJS View Post
Yup, we're considering it too but just wanted to see what others have or done...
How about a portable antena?

just not sure yet....can go either way.

A portable antenna won't work either on a fiberglass motorhome.

No-Ground Equipment (NGP): Fiberglass RVs and motor homes MUST use a no-ground plane antenna! Standard CB equipment requires a metallic chassis in order to properly send and receive a signal, and won't function
properly with a fiberglass chassis. The one exception to this is dual antenna installations. Regular CB antennas that are used in a dual, co-phased installation create their own ground plane and do NOT require a metallic chassis to perform properly, making them suitable for fiberglass applications. They also offer additional range over single antenna installations.

Compatibility & Coax Extensions: Standard CB components and Nonn-Ground Plane components are not inter compatible, which is why NGP components are usually sold in kits.
If you do need to extend the length of your NGP coax, you can use standard CB coax as long as the portion closest to the antenna is the original NGP section.

Here is a link to the Firestik no ground plane anteena and coax specially designed for fiberglass body rigs.
http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/NGP_M2.htm
Old 07-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #5

had CB's on previous two RV's. didn't use them, so didn't put one in the Georgetown.
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcampr View Post
had CB's on previous two RV's. didn't use them, so didn't put one in the Georgetown.
I do a lot of group RV convoys and it comes in handy when we have large groups. I also do more listening than talking especially finding out about accidents ahead from truckers. Its a little retro but still serves a basic purpose while travelling.
I just remembered my CB radio also is a Noaa radio for the local weather conditions.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

I use our CB mostly when in traffic congestion and getting whatever info from the truckers. If there are groups travelling, I believe most people use FRS radios these days, they're more popular for staying in touch.

However......buyer beware.....more and more states and provinces are banning hand held electronic devices being used by drivers. Hands-free is different, but FRS are pretty simplistic and usually don't option hands-free. Co-pilots and others can work the FRS.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
Happy Member

That's exactly what I was thinking on using the CB's; more for listening, inforamtive and lastly may be just emergency (just in case)....Iggy brings a good point on the installation so I'm not sure it's worth the hassle installing one. A bit retro but useful tool when you need it.
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 07-31-2013, 01:20 AM   #9

I have a peaked Uniden with a Wilson T2000 antenna in/on my Suburban. Usually use it on long trips. I agree, it is a bit retro however still has its uses. As for hands free...there are a few out there (Cobra being one) that have blue tooth radios/headsets.
crushor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:13 AM   #10
MI Camperz

10-4! Gotta keep up with the smokey reports!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:19 AM   #11

CBs Can be real entertaining at times listening to the truckers mostly not suitable for the ears of small children............. Smokie reports can be good.............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:45 AM   #12

I use mine all the time, mainly for traffic info...what lane to be in during a closure etc. It saved my bacon routing me away from the Washington DC outer loop last summer.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #13

Well I'm certainly glad I'm not the only one using one. I've been considering putting one in my Powerstroke, but didn't want to be the odd duck (Rubber Duck good, odd duck not so good). I think I'm starting to show my age.
crushor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #14
Anacortesians

I have one, left over from a pick-up I used to own. Since I used the truck to commute about 18 miles from home, I never used it. I've given some thought to installing it in the MH, but question the usefulness.

Also, I'm not up to speed on antennas. The one off the truck attached to the fender alongside the hood and has a cylindrical doo-hickey about half way up. Would this work on the side of a fiberglass motor-home?
Old 08-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
I have one, left over from a pick-up I used to own. Since I used the truck to commute about 18 miles from home, I never used it. I've given some thought to installing it in the MH, but question the usefulness.

Also, I'm not up to speed on antennas. The one off the truck attached to the fender alongside the hood and has a cylindrical doo-hickey about half way up. Would this work on the side of a fiberglass motor-home?
Don't think so as mentioned in earlier posts need a metal ground plane and fiberglass doesn't meet that requirement. The cylinder on antenna is a device to make the antenna the right wave length. If i remember correctly a quarter wave length on cb freq. (27 megahertz) is like 72 inches and yours is probably 24 inches or so.
Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #16

I was able to install a conventional CB antenna on my Georgetown 373 by utilizing the vertical metal frame where the fiberglass nose cap meets the side body. This large piece of metal is sufficient to act as a groundplane for the antenna, avoiding the need for a no ground plane antenna. The metal frame can be seen by removing the plastic trim on the interior along the windshield.

The tricky part is to keep the coax braid to the metal frame as short as possible. In my installation, the braid is about 3 inches long where it is separated from the coax just before the antenna mount. Since center conductor of the coax goes to the antenna mount, this limits the location of the antenna installation. The antenna performance and VSWR are excellent.
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:17 AM   #17

We too travel with a group, so we all use them so we can chat as we go. We do not stay on the truckers channel (19), we use another where we are normally the only conversation.

Ours is configured to be totally portable. We have a cigarette lighter plug on the power cord and a magnetic mount antenna. When we are travelling with the group we throw the antenna on the roof, lay the radio in the middle seat, plug it into the cigarette lighter and we are good to go. When we don't need it, we place the entire assembly under the rear seat, out of the way. Takes less than a minute to set-up or take down.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:22 AM   #18

I would not swear an oath, but I believe I have seen mirror mount base plates for magnetic mount antennas at truck stops. For those with fiberglass units that wanted the magnetic mount antennas. You could use a base plate and run a ground wire back to a frame ground.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #19

Ground Plane vs. Chassis Ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
I would not swear an oath, but I believe I have seen mirror mount base plates for magnetic mount antennas at truck stops. For those with fiberglass units that wanted the magnetic mount antennas. You could use a base plate and run a ground wire back to a frame ground.
The mount you describe would probably work on a metal vehicle with a metal mirror mount, but not on a fiberglass body vehicle such as a motorhome.

There is a big difference between a vehicle chassis ground and an antenna ground plane. The antenna ground needs to act as a counterpoise to the antenna. That was the reason I had to keep the coax braid so short where it separates to connect to the antenna mount. In my installation, the vertical metal frame the coax is attached to probably acts more as half of a vertical dipole (the antenna being the other half) rather than a ground plane.

Almost any vehicle antenna is going to be a compromise of some sort.
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote