Old 07-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #11

When we bought our 2012 a month ago the air blew warm, the dealer charged it and dye tested for leaks and never found any, I don't have a lot of confidence in it staying cold but so far so good.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #12

$210.00 is what the shop charged for the dye testing Freon and a second re-charge of regular Freon after they tightened the front compressor bolts. They did not change out the compressor, but told me that if the charge doesn't hold I'll need a new compressor. So that's why I asked if it comes to that what can I expect a new (preferably not O.E.M.) compressor to cost.

sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #13

I'm on my third Ford compressor on our 2011 378. Hope this one holds, as the warranty is out. I asked the service writer why these compressors don't seem to be reliable. He didn't know, but said they are not the same unit used on other ford trucks, at least in the lighter duty series. Even when working mine never put out really cold air, but it did keep us reasonably comfortable.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #14

What's gets me is before I traded in my 2000 Allegro (2012) I had the same shop check the A/C because it was blowing warm air. To the shops amazement, there was no leaks but just low on Freon. They re-charged it and it blew cold air at the vent at 39 degrees. I wonder if Ford or Evans cheapened out with a crappier unit on the newer rigs.

sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote