Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
Tater

A/C recharge on 351

Well I've read the all the posts on the poor dash a/c and while I don't use it to cool the whole coach it is nice as an accessory to the main a/c's while driving. My '12 351ds actually blows warm air when I turn the dial for the dash a/c. I figured I'd start with a recharge and see if that did anything but Im not sure where I plug in the recharge kit? anyone have a picture reference that could lead me to the right spot?.
Philmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #2

I just did this exact same thing on my 2012 351DS earlier this summer and now my dash AC works very well. I'd post a pic for ya, but my rig is at the storage facility right now.

I believe it was on the left (passenger) side of the engine bay. There's only one service cap that will fit the recharge nozzle, so as long as it fits, its the correct one.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:58 PM   #3
Tater

Thanks Rich I am going to try it tomorrow. I see two ports on the passenger side one upper left and one lower a little more toward the center it looks like they are different sizes so I will try them both to see which fits and report back!!
Philmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #4

I tried recharging my dash ac and ended up blowing the o rings out. I had even used a kit that came with a gauge, be careful.
hazbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:21 PM   #5

First... If you don't know...take it to a shop. You can do more damage than good(30 years doing a/c work)

Second...do not install any product but manufacturers recommended refrigerant and oil. So called "conditioners or sealants" can damage your system.

Not trying to be nasty, but this stuff is important. Over/undercharge can cause compressor and component damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #6

x2 (40 years AC experience)

Started Out With Nothing,
Still Have Most Of It Left!
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #7

I had the same issue on my 2012 378TS and took it to Ford dealer and found that the engine AC compressor seal leaked everything.
They replaced it under the Ford 3 year 36,000 mile warranty with no costs to me.
Good luck
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #8

I would take it to the dealer if it's still under the 3yr warranty. They replaced my compressor twice on my 2011 378.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:37 PM   #9

On my 2010 378, Ford replaced the compressor exactly 2 years ago but a year later while driving through Las Vegas, 110 degrees, A/C started blowing hot air. I shut it off and the next day it worked ok. So a year later, driving yesterday through Needles, CA outside temp 113 and this time we were crawling on the freeway due to a traffic accident and within 10 minutes hot air through A/C ducts. I shut off the A/C until we cleared the wreck and lo and behold, it worked. When I called a tech at Colton Truck, he said that lack of air passing over the condenser will do that. He says put an electric fan on it. And btw, the genset would not run either so there we were for 1.5 hrs with the inside of the rv at 116 degrees. He said that poor installation and lack of ventilation in genset compartment probable cause.
MattM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
On my 2010 378, Ford replaced the compressor exactly 2 years ago but a year later while driving through Las Vegas, 110 degrees, A/C started blowing hot air. I shut it off and the next day it worked ok. So a year later, driving yesterday through Needles, CA outside temp 113 and this time we were crawling on the freeway due to a traffic accident and within 10 minutes hot air through A/C ducts. I shut off the A/C until we cleared the wreck and lo and behold, it worked. When I called a tech at Colton Truck, he said that lack of air passing over the condenser will do that. He says put an electric fan on it. And btw, the genset would not run either so there we were for 1.5 hrs with the inside of the rv at 116 degrees. He said that poor installation and lack of ventilation in genset compartment probable cause.
Sounds like a poor design, but nice to know it isn't the compressor. I have Generac Q65 generator and it will shut off when the oil temp sensor gets to hot. I found out on this site that you should go to straight 30W oil and change the oil temp sensor to the next higher setting. I will update if it works.
hazbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazbunch View Post
Sounds like a poor design, but nice to know it isn't the compressor. I have Generac Q65 generator and it will shut off when the oil temp sensor gets to hot. I found out on this site that you should go to straight 30W oil and change the oil temp sensor to the next higher setting. I will update if it works.

Find out who manufactures the engine for the gen set. Use their engine oil specs based on service and temperature ratings...then see if you can find a synthetic oil to meet those specs...buy it and stay with that brand. You do not want to change synthetic oil brands without the proper procedures.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
.then see if you can find a synthetic oil to meet those specs...buy it and stay with that brand. You do not want to change synthetic oil brands without the proper procedures.

what are the "proper procedures" for changing brands of oil ?

Front & Rear Roadmaster Sway Bars
Koni Shocks
Front and Rear Sumo Springs Jounce Replacement
willingtonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:46 AM   #13

Speaking synthetic oils.... A royal purple engineer told me to not "switch around" with synthetics. Some oils don't mix well and CAN cause jelling type issues. He said if you are changing synthetics to use conventional oil for 1 or 2 oil changes then you can change synthetic oil types.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:50 AM   #14

A/C recharge on 351

I call BS on that statement. That is just a scare tactic, IMHO.

And i am using royal purple full synthetic 15w-40 in my genset. Love the oil for that use.

Koni Shocks
Old 09-16-2014, 07:07 AM   #15

Whatever. Never call the hand unless you have done the research.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Whatever. Never call the hand unless you have done the research.

i just read the bottle....simple as that....

says nothing of the sort....

or you can go here:

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/r...aqs/motor-oil/

Koni Shocks
Old 09-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #17

However we do recommend doing a complete drain and fill as opposed to doing a partial top off on top of some other companies oil. We recommend against mixing different product lines or brands of oils from different companies, as it is not considered a best practice. Additive conflicts can occur in some cases when dealing with large quantities of mixed dissimilar engine oils.

Perfect