Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2016, 11:19 AM   #1

A/C Unit

We were using are 351ds last week down in Florida and noticed water dripping from the white grill/vent. The water drips from the corner of the white plastic grill above the bed in the back. Any ideas on what is causing water to drip down instead of drain out the top on the roof. Anyone know a solution. Thanks.
teamg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Coils possibly freezing a little bit.
Do you have vents closed off or are they all open?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:35 PM   #3

Welcome to Florida humidity! If you leave the door open or leave a window open any length of time you have allowed the good ole Florida humidity to get in your RV and then condense on the cold white plastic cover of your A/C. Seen it a hundred times...usually folks from the north who are use to opening windows in the summer.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #4

No all the vents are open. We didn't have a problem at all this past summer in the humidity so I would be surprised if that is the issue. It may be something is freezing up but I would have thought the warm (87) outside air is hot enough that it would be able to keep the coils from freezing up. Any chance of a drain line being clogged somewhere?
Old 01-07-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Nope there's no drain line internal.
If you slightly open the quick cool dump that may help.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:59 PM   #6
Site Team

Check the filter. If that is dirty, you will get reduced air flow and freezing up.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamg5 View Post
No all the vents are open. We didn't have a problem at all this past summer in the humidity so I would be surprised if that is the issue. It may be something is freezing up but I would have thought the warm (87) outside air is hot enough that it would be able to keep the coils from freezing up. Any chance of a drain line being clogged somewhere?
I'm from Florida and have been camping for years here and have learned that I shall never open a window, leave a door open or allow any outside air into our RV when it is warm outside and the humidity is above 60%. When the A/C is on and when it's time to exit I open the door, exit and close the door. No windows open, ever. Cupboard doors will not close right, and the plastic on the A/c will sweat and drip. Just the nature of the south. The only way water can get into the RV from an A/C unit is if there is a leak where the unit is mounted in the 14" opening and if you have a leak there it would also leak when it rained. Keep her buttoned up and I believe that your problem will go away.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:08 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It's also possible the frost sensor fell off.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:25 PM   #9

Ok thanks. I will check the filter and make sure all the doors and windows are shut. Thanks again for all the replies.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:10 AM   #10

It also helps to run the fan on the high setting to keep condensation from collecting in humid conditions.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #11

Teamg5, it depends on how much water you are talking about. If it is just a drip now and then more than likely it is excess humidity If it is dripping more than you think it should be, one possibility is the drain opening for the cooling coils is clogged. Another possibility is the A/C unit is not tightened down and the water from the unit, that should be going onto the roof and off the roof, is dripping back into the coach.
I have had both issues happen to me.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:08 PM   #12

While my coach is stored at my home in Fla I keep a small dehumidifier plugged in all the time. Have to empty the collection tank once or twice a week. Keeps the interior nice and dry, no moldy odor or mildew. Amazing how much humidity gets inside even when all doors and windows are closed.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:35 PM   #13

When running an unattended dehumidifier, why not have it drain right down the shower. That way you don't have to worry about having the tray overflow.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
While my coach is stored at my home in Fla I keep a small dehumidifier plugged in all the time. Have to empty the collection tank once or twice a week. Keeps the interior nice and dry, no moldy odor or mildew. Amazing how much humidity gets inside even when all doors and windows are closed.
I know this is off the OP's post but which dehumidifier are you using?

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post
When running an unattended dehumidifier, why not have it drain right down the shower. That way you don't have to worry about having the tray overflow.
It is a good sized Haier that has a multi gallon tank and auto shutoff when full. I like to keep it in the middle of the coach. Does a great job and I empty it once a week or so. Coach air is nice and dry and no damp or moldy odor.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote