Old 04-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #1

A good deal?

I am looking at purchasing my first RV. It happens to be a 2012 Forest River Georgetown XL 350ts. It had one previous owner and has 3,800 miles on it. The generator has 23 hours on it. It has almost all of the bells and whistles from that year and they are asking $85,000. Based on the many pictures I have seen it looks brand spanking new! I have not seen it in person yet and I will before the deal is done. Wanted opinions on whether this is a good deal, bad deal, or possibly too good to be true.

Thanks!
Neill

Old 04-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I would look at RVTrader.com and search for similar models. Prices are always all over the place but it would give you a good starting point. $85K isn't bad for a 2012 with such low mileage. Good luck and welcome to the forums. I'm sure others will tune in with recommendations as well.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #3

I paid $10K more for a new 2013 350ts. The differences are dramatic between the two model years. The difference in monthly payment was only about $50 or so. So that's something you might want to consider.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #4

MG,

If you wouldn't mind advertising I'd be interested in knowing where you bought yours. The lowest I was about to price out a 2013 350ts was through rvdirect. That was $95,000 with partial paint. Also, can you elaborate on the differences between 2013 and 2012? I haven't been able to find many in my research.

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-24 View Post
I am looking at purchasing my first RV. It happens to be a 2012 Forest River Georgetown XL 350ts. It had one previous owner and has 3,800 miles on it. The generator has 23 hours on it. It has almost all of the bells and whistles from that year and they are asking $85,000. Based on the many pictures I have seen it looks brand spanking new! I have not seen it in person yet and I will before the deal is done. Wanted opinions on whether this is a good deal, bad deal, or possibly too good to be true.

Thanks!
Neill
I also payed 10,000 more for a 2013 351 DSF. Full body paint. Bought it at Boat N RV in Hamburg PA. They have same one with full body paint listed for 99,000 still on lot. It does not have the bunk over the drivers cab. They had one with a bunk over at the NY wharehouse. I bought that one.
Here is the link to other one. http://www.boatnrv.com/rockwood-ridg...453744-h222211 Good luck and shop around. Make sure you get everything you want/need before you buy it.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-24 View Post
MG,

If you wouldn't mind advertising I'd be interested in knowing where you bought yours. The lowest I was about to price out a 2013 350ts was through rvdirect. That was $95,000 with partial paint. Also, can you elaborate on the differences between 2013 and 2012? I haven't been able to find many in my research.

Thanks!
I got mine at Terrytown RV in Grand Rapids, MI. Despite my firm belief that all RV dealers are horrible evil places, so far they are a pretty good place to deal with. They beat the RV Direct price. Also they are the closest dealer to the the GT factory. So my unit only had a couple hundred miles on it. I know that prices have gone up a little bit since we bought ours last fall. But I'm sure you can beat the RV direct price by shopping around.

The differences in 2012 and 2013 are: front cap, residential refer, 1K watt inverter, 24K GVWR chassis instead of 22K, built-in ladder on bunks, larger tv in bedroom, tile option vs linoleum, dream dinette. There are also several things that are now standards that were options in 2012 (ie: fantastic fan in galley, etc).

For me the upgraded chassis is a big deal and the looks of the new front cap. But really all the upgrades in 2013 made for a good value add and worth the money for us. Although I am not a fan of residential refers, so we were able to get ours with the good old LP gas /electric.

One option I got that I would definitely not recommend is the GPS. It's pretty much worthless. The angle of the screen does not make it easy to see and it freezes up constantly. I'm hopeful they can fix it someday soon. But even with it working, I would have much rather bought the RV GPS system that's out there.

Lastly, something to consider is that if you ordered a new unit now, you'd get a 2014 model year. That's 2 years newer than 2012. So even if it's 15K more, your total cost of ownership should be better than buying a 2012 at $85K.

Hope some of that info/opinions are helpful to you.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #7

K9, so now you take the pricing info to the owner (or is it a dealer?) supplied by your new friends on this forum (print it out) and try and get the 2012 for around 75-76K. Bought my 2011 in 2012 from RV Direct, they wanted 88K and told me that was the final price, I calmly offered 74K, they balked, DW and I got up to leave, we settled on 76K. I thought that was a little high, but you have to expect to compromise, or spend more time then you'll want looking for the "great" deal. Good luck.

sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote