Old 04-06-2015, 08:34 PM   #1

AB Switch for TV

I use a Vuqube and Direct TV. The Vuqube is connected by cable to the Park Cable box in the rear storage area. In the cupboard above the passenger seat the set up is as follows:

I take a cable out of the FR selector and put it to the Satellite Box then Satellite box to Direct TV Receiver and closing the loop by Receiver back to FR Selector.

All my connections are made with standard coax cable.

This is all well and good if you want to watch satellite tv, but if I want to actually use the park's cable I'm stuck disconnecting and reconnecting to remove the receiver and the satellite box.

So I hear that I could put an AB switch into this set up which would alleviate this problem. Where do I buy one and how is it wired into the situation.

I'm sorry if this has been asked/answered before but I went through about a year's worth of topics and couldn't locate my answer.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:58 PM   #2

Here's a link to Amazon.
Amazon.com: AB switch

Old 04-07-2015, 06:14 PM   #3

Ok so I'm getting an AB switch and I'm assuming that I take the cable from the wall that was originally in the rv selector box and put it in the input of the ab switch then one output goes to the rv selector box. We'll call that A and that would cover cable TV and I guess OTA. Then the second output B would go to the satellite box which would then connect to the direct tv box. Do I need to connect the direct tv box back to the RV selector which i guess would then mean I'd need a splitter since I've got no open port in the rv selector. Do i need to close the loop for B? Help?
Old 04-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #4

In the overhead connect the park cable to the in side of the AB switch. Connect one of the outputs of the AB switch to the selector (cable) and the other output to your sat receiver in port. connect sat receiver output port to the selector (sat). Your over the air antenna runs to the selector (ota ant). I am assuming you have a separate cable for the ota ant. Don't you have 4 ports on your selector. 3 selections but 4 ports (1 out to the tv).
Old 04-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #5

Bubbles - I appreciate the reply but after thinking about it further... the satellite is portable and connects through the Park Cable as if it was regular cable tv through a camp ground. So the rv selector is set to Cable when I am using the Direct TV. So since A = Cable from a campground and B = Direct TV through a portable satellite both requiring the RV selector to be on cable - don't I need to use a cable splitter/combiner on the RV selector?

so wall cable to AB in
"A" out to Combiner "A" in
"B" out to Satellite in, Satellite out to Direct tv In, Direct tv out to Combiner "B" in
Combiner out to Cable in RV selector box

I think Satellite in my RV selector box would be for a roof mount
Old 04-08-2015, 04:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirievi View Post
Bubbles - I appreciate the reply but after thinking about it further... the satellite is portable and connects through the Park Cable as if it was regular cable tv through a camp ground. So the rv selector is set to Cable when I am using the Direct TV. So since A = Cable from a campground and B = Direct TV through a portable satellite both requiring the RV selector to be on cable - don't I need to use a cable splitter/combiner on the RV selector?

so wall cable to AB in
"B" out to Satellite in, Satellite out to Direct tv In, Direct tv out to Combiner "B" in

The Sat position is for the coax the goes to the roof, we don't use it.
By the way the "RV selector box" is an "A B C box" 3 inputs 1 output.

Keep us updated on your progress. I don't know anything about a "Vuqube" does it keep the park signal from interfering with the Direct TV signal?

Thanks
ab&jb
Old 04-08-2015, 07:58 PM   #7

I'm interested in the vu cube and other than your connection issues wanted to know if you are happy with it. We have Direct TV in the house and want to be able to use it in the MH. Did you have to get a separate receiver or will one out if the house work? I know it won't get HD but that is not an issue.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Charleston SC
3 Boston Terriers, 1 Frenchie
Gonna miss you Toby. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirievi View Post

so wall cable to AB in

No. I have the tailgater and I use the park cable input also for sat. As stated: park cable (in the overhead) to the A-B switch IN port. OUTPUT A to the sat rec OUTPUT B to the cable IN port of the selector. Sat rec cable OUT to the sat IN port of the selector (disconnect the existing coax from this port) with a purchased short coax cable. Your OTA cable is already connected to the OTA IN port of the selector. The only thing you can't do is have park cable and sat at the same time coming into the camper as they both connect to the park cable IN port outside. But if you have cable you wouldn't need sat. Just switch the A-B switch to what is coming in at the park cable port (A=sat ant and B= park cable) and set the selector to either sat or cable as applicable. Set the TV for cable channel 3 and run the sat setup. Should be good to go. I take my DISH receiver from home with me for camping. One other thing you do not have to have the OTA boost turned off for sat. Coax (RG6) short cables needed = 3. 1 from AB sw port A to sat rec, 1 from AB sw port B to selector cable port and 1 from sat rec coax out to selector sat port.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:47 PM   #9

this may help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	satellite.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	73582  
Old 04-08-2015, 09:33 PM   #10

There is a device called a satellite diplexer that will allow you to use both satellite and park cable over the same wire. You will be required to purchase two of them. I have installed them in many a friends RVs so you don't have to use a A/B switch.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums