Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2014, 03:25 PM   #1

Ac/doc fridge ...

We left moterhome parked for five or six days when we returned fridge had shut down. Lotts of rotten stuff. Restarted fridge and spent the next couple of hours cleaning up the mess! Yup it was very late!
Newellri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:37 PM   #2

Where you on shorepower?
Old 05-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #3

Yes, it did not transfer to lp, just shut down. I wonder if the transfer switch is ok?
Old 05-31-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Normally you run the Fridge in "Auto Mode". It defaults to AC if available and to Propane if AC is lost. If you just hit "On" on the Fridge and lost power for a moment, it will shut down and not transfer. Make sure you are using "Auto"....
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:50 PM   #5

This one has a separate switch for auto or lp it is on auto or lp. It was in auto mode but did not switch. I would assume a power blip. I just know after three years of continual use it had three bags of rotten food. It stunk and set off co2 detecter to add insult to injury. We did not find it till 12:00 when we came back to the camper, long night.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellri View Post
This one has a separate switch for auto or lp it is on auto or lp. It was in auto mode but did not switch. I would assume a power blip. I just know after three years of continual use it had three bags of rotten food. It stunk and set off co2 detecter to add insult to injury. We did not find it till 12:00 when we came back to the camper, long night.

OK, was the propane on and how long was the power out?

Remember, propane NEEDS a charged battery to run the fridge (and CO/propane detector).

IF you had disconnected the battery using the battery disconnect while you were in hookups and the AC power failed; NOTHING would happen EVEN if you had full propane.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:46 PM   #7

Don't know long power was out but not more than a blip, kids live there. Battery was good and switch was on, and propane is full. The battery question was a good point because I shut it off some time when hocked up to shore power. When I chk it was good. I don't think it has been off except to clean in three years. I bothers me because we wanted to leave here a little longer ( grand kids ball games)
Old 06-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellri View Post
Don't know long power was out but not more than a blip, kids live there. Battery was good and switch was on, and propane is full. The battery question was a good point because I shut it off some time when hocked up to shore power. When I chk it was good. I don't think it has been off except to clean in three years. I bothers me because we wanted to leave here a little longer ( grand kids ball games)
Shutting off the battery when on shore power is OK (though the converter likes the battery to be there to add additional AC to DC filtering), BUT you do loose the automatic switch over feature if the power fails as you found out.

My technique is to leave it on always, for that very reason.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #9

We started to shut off in the drive way because of the co2 dector. It was on in this case though. I still haven't figured out why it was off when we returned. Have to dump tanks tomorrow and will see if it switches to propane then, as for now it works fine. Mineral oil in battery's has helped with co2 though. Thanks so much for all the input, where else could we go for help and it doesn't cost 127.00 per hour.

Tags
fridge