Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2013, 06:11 AM   #1

AC Noise while driving

Does anyone else's front air conditioner make noise while driving? Best way I can describe it is kind of a vibration or rumble. AC is usually not running when I notice it. Sounds like it could be the shroud on the roof flexing. Have checked that to make sure it is on securely.
Never heard this on my previous MH but that AC unit was further back from the driver so maybe I just never noticed it.
Another one of those things I was just wondering if normal or not.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #2

Check your frame bolts are tight to the unit roof, you might have a loose one. Even through I do not own a MH, you never know if someone got lazy when they installed the unit.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #3

Are you sure it is the AC? If you have a crank-up antenna could the rumble be from it? I can sometimes hear mine rumbling from wind. I just tighten the down crank a little and it helps. Just a thought.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #4

You have the exact same coach as ours. There is no crank up antenna. Ours is very quiet. Most likely you have something lose up there. Have someone pin point it while driving. Like I said, ours is very quiet. The only noise we had was the driver's and passenger's slide windows rattling. I had to adjust the three dampeners on the frame.

If you can't figure it out, take it in.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Bottom of case-----------------

I had the same vibration in my A/C when it was running. Found the bottom of the AC case was sitting on the roof causing the noise. I purchased a foam
rubber door mat that was 1/4" thick. Cut about 8" off one end of the mat. Raised the rear of the AC case slightly, inserted the 8" strip under the base of the AC metal pan. Presto, vibration stopped!! Make sure you insert the 8" piece with the widest part side to side under the case. The mat I purchased
from Lowe's was a cheap FOAM RUBBER mat.

Good luck
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #6

Whatever is causing this noise is either something loose or flimsy as it does it while driving, usually at 50 mph or faster. AC is not powered on.
As noted on another post we do not have the wind up antenna. It it that small mushroom looking type. Actually that thing is pretty loose up there and that might be what I am hearing as it is located pretty close to the AC unit. I have pulled up on it trying to check a cable connection and it won't come off but it is fairly loose. Will try securing it before next trip. I'll also check to make sure the mounting bolts are tight
Have to agree with alparmer that this coach does ride pretty quiet. I do have the window noise, drivers side only, (another project) and that's probably why this is so noticeable to me. Since his doesn't do it I tend to think something is loose up there that shouldn't be.

Charleston SC
Old 12-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd10 View Post
Whatever is causing this noise is either something loose or flimsy as it does it while driving, usually at 50 mph or faster. AC is not powered on.
As noted on another post we do not have the wind up antenna. It it that small mushroom looking type. Actually that thing is pretty loose up there and that might be what I am hearing as it is located pretty close to the AC unit. I have pulled up on it trying to check a cable connection and it won't come off but it is fairly loose. Will try securing it before next trip. I'll also check to make sure the mounting bolts are tight
Have to agree with alparmer that this coach does ride pretty quiet. I do have the window noise, drivers side only, (another project) and that's probably why this is so noticeable to me. Since his doesn't do it I tend to think something is loose up there that shouldn't be.
The window noise if very easy to fix. There are three dampeners on the back end of the window frame where the window slides into. You need to make the gap a bit smaller so that the window doesn't rattle. We hit some pretty good winds on our trip and the windows where really loud. I pulled over and grabbed a flat head screw driver and hit the dampeners on the sides to make the gap smaller and that worked like a champ.

For your roof noise problem, you have something lose up there. I'd climb up and have the wife drive 50 mph.......just kidding. Climb up and move things around to see if you find something lose of flimsy. Good luck, and post what you find please.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #8

Will do. Thanks for the advice on the window. Figured it was something I could take care of without adding to punch list of things dealer still has parts on order for. That window noise drives me crazy but always forget to check it until I'm driving

Charleston SC
Old 01-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #9

Update

Had checked mounting bolts and found nothing loose. Went to Myrtle Beach the weekend after Christmas and while in route home noticed something hanging from the awning just before it fell off. Could only see it when viewing monitor from right side camera. It was dark and raining and being only a mile from home slowed way down and drove on to house. Climbed up on roof as soon as I got home and did not see anything wrong. Checked next morning and still could find no damage. DW thought maybe I had snagged a small branch pulling out of CG but I was pretty sure I hadn't.
This morning let the dogs out and while standing on the front porch looking at The MH noticed the front lower portion of the AC shroud is sheared off clean where the bolts hold it on. Just about a 2 inch wide and 10 inch long strip is gone. Sheared off so clean that if you didn't know better you would think it was normal. Can't believe I missed it before but would have had to crawling on roof to see from that angle. Looks like three screws are ripped out and the other three stayed in. Not sure what caused it as I had checked those screws while looking for cause of noise. Has made noise since I took delivery so I'm not sure if shroud was possibly just defective.

Charleston SC
Old 01-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd10 View Post
Had checked mounting bolts and found nothing loose. Went to Myrtle Beach the weekend after Christmas and while in route home noticed something hanging from the awning just before it fell off. Could only see it when viewing monitor from right side camera. It was dark and raining and being only a mile from home slowed way down and drove on to house. Climbed up on roof as soon as I got home and did not see anything wrong. Checked next morning and still could find no damage. DW thought maybe I had snagged a small branch pulling out of CG but I was pretty sure I hadn't.
This morning let the dogs out and while standing on the front porch looking at The MH noticed the front lower portion of the AC shroud is sheared off clean where the bolts hold it on. Just about a 2 inch wide and 10 inch long strip is gone. Sheared off so clean that if you didn't know better you would think it was normal. Can't believe I missed it before but would have had to crawling on roof to see from that angle. Looks like three screws are ripped out and the other three stayed in. Not sure what caused it as I had checked those screws while looking for cause of noise. Has made noise since I took delivery so I'm not sure if shroud was possibly just defective.
Glad you found it, 100.00 to a donut that when they opened the box with a box cutter it was cut then....just a guess but it would never rip clean like you said from the wind.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote