Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #1
Member
 
TheLarks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 41
AC shuts off when on generator

New owners here. GTXL352. AC starts up on generator then shuts off. Help. Deb
__________________

__________________
TheLarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Whitehouse, Texas
Posts: 643
I don't know if I can help but more info is needed, like:
Has the generator been running for a few minutes?
Does the generator stay running?
Does the transfer switch disconnect?
After you turn on the AC is it the compressor not staying on or the fan or both?
Does the AC try to restart after a few minutes?
As mush info as you can will help others help you, with the same problem.
__________________

__________________
2013 Georgetown XL 378
2008 Honda CR-V
wrapperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:02 PM   #3
Member
 
TheLarks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
I don't know if I can help but more info is needed, like:
Has the generator been running for a few minutes? YES
Does the generator stay running? YES
Does the transfer switch disconnect? NOT SURE WHAT THIS IS
After you turn on the AC is it the compressor not staying on or the fan or both? BOTH
Does the AC try to restart after a few minutes? NO
As mush info as you can will help others help you, with the same problem.
Additional info: during the time the AC is running there is a thumping noise somewhere in the back of the coach. Thank you. Deb
__________________
TheLarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:30 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Whitehouse, Texas
Posts: 643
Another question:
Do you still have 110 power?
Like does the microwave work after the AC goes off?
Are you getting 110 volts at your receptacles?
If you loose 110 power then the thumping you are hearing could be the "transfer switch" trying to re-engage.
Let me know and I will give you somethings that might be the issue.
More questions:
What year is your coach?
What size coach do you have?
How many AC's do you have?
What size generator do you have?
Do you just turn on the generator and after about 30 seconds you get power? (This will tell me if you have an automatic "transfer switch")
__________________
2013 Georgetown XL 378
2008 Honda CR-V
wrapperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:25 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Bayouownbeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chauvin LA
Posts: 188
The thumping noise is definitely the transfer switch. Mine has done this as well more than once. Turn the AC off turn generator breaker off and turn breaker back on then try AC again. This has worked for me. I bet you have progressive dynamics transfer switch I have read a lot of pep have had this same problem. I will be contacting progressive about my issues. Btw my switch is located in the back bin where the power cord is located
__________________
2017 Georgetown 364TS
Bayouownbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:33 PM   #6
Member
 
TheLarks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
Another question:
Do you still have 110 power?
Like does the microwave work after the AC goes off?
Are you getting 110 volts at your receptacles?
If you loose 110 power then the thumping you are hearing could be the "transfer switch" trying to re-engage.
Let me know and I will give you somethings that might be the issue.
More questions:
What year is your coach?
What size coach do you have?
How many AC's do you have?
What size generator do you have?
Do you just turn on the generator and after about 30 seconds you get power? (This will tell me if you have an automatic "transfer switch")
2015 GeorgetownXL 352. Gas. 36''8". 2 AC units
5500 gen
We turn gen on via the gen set button, gen comes right on , ,then turn on AC, one at time,, AC runs and then cuts off. Also when I then turn AC off it comes back on by itself for a few seconds. We have verified the thumping is the transfer switch and it only thumps when the AC is running. Will have to verify about the 110 in a little bit - out of pocket for about an hour. Thanks. Deb
__________________
TheLarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:38 PM   #7
Member
 
TheLarks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouownbeer View Post
The thumping noise is definitely the transfer switch. Mine has done this as well more than once. Turn the AC off turn generator breaker off and turn breaker back on then try AC again. This has worked for me. I bet you have progressive dynamics transfer switch I have read a lot of pep have had this same problem. I will be contacting progressive about my issues. Btw my switch is located in the back bin where the power cord is located
Thanks for the additional info. We will try shortly. Btw we verified our switch is in the same place you described back bin.
__________________
TheLarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:43 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Bayouownbeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chauvin LA
Posts: 188
Automatic Transfer Switches and other RV Products from Progressive Dynamics

I have the PD52 and not happy with it at all. I plan to call them and see what they are willing to do about it. Is like to upgrade to the PD52dcs it suppose to be a noise free switch and has Built in surge protector
__________________
2017 Georgetown 364TS
Bayouownbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:55 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Bayouownbeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chauvin LA
Posts: 188
My coach has two water heaters I turn the breaker off to those while I'm on generator which helps as well. I believe that the switch chatters when there is too much electrical load on it. Really sucks.
__________________
2017 Georgetown 364TS
Bayouownbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:27 PM   #10
Member
 
TheLarks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 41
We just tried again. Same results. AC starts thumping starts then AC cuts off. Microwave (clock) goes off when the Ac goes off. Microwave (clock) comes back on when I turn the AC switch off. Btw we have a domestic AC/furnace thermostat
__________________

__________________
TheLarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
generator

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.