Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #1

AC stopped working

Well after just over a year of ownership I started the Georgetown and no AC. Worked on last trip fine before I shut it down.
Today I have fan but no cold air. I tried turning it off and back as well as change the temp knob but still outside air.

I plan on taking it to Ford to see whats up. I was told that the compressor is Fords on the bare chassis so hopefully its a compressor seal or the compressor failed internally.

Can anyone confirm the Compressor is Fords responsibility for my 2012?
I also read recently someone else had a compressor failed and Ford replaced.

Thanks
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Iffy,

I recently "lost" AC also. Recharged the system on the low side connector and was back in business.

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchief View Post
Iffy,

I recently "lost" AC also. Recharged the system on the low side connector and was back in business.
So did you still have freon in the system?
If it was low it had to leak out some where.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Recharged mine in July and it's been fine since. I wasn't sure it was ever charged properly. Invested a few bucks in a good set of gauges and added 1 can with stop leak and 1 can of plain R134a and it's held fine since. It's colder than I ever felt before. Loss of refrigerant will make it stop running from low pressure switch. It may have a slow leak, could be through the access cap if not tightened properly and the needle valve isn't tight.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #5

Iggy,
Last year I noticed oil dripping from my A/C compressor on my 11' Georgetown and called my local Ford dealer they confirmed they were responsible for the compressor and got me up and "cooling" in about half a day so yes it is Ford's responsibility.
concours14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours14 View Post
Iggy,
Last year I noticed oil dripping from my A/C compressor on my 11' Georgetown and called my local Ford dealer they confirmed they were responsible for the compressor and got me up and "cooling" in about half a day so yes it is Ford's responsibility.

Thanks I will check next time and see if the compressor clutch is activating. If it is I will add a can of 134a and check. If its wet fromoil I will make appointment to Ford ASAP.
Thanks everyone.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Recharged mine in July and it's been fine since. I wasn't sure it was ever charged properly. Invested a few bucks in a good set of gauges and added 1 can with stop leak and 1 can of plain R134a and it's held fine since. It's colder than I ever felt before. Loss of refrigerant will make it stop running from low pressure switch. It may have a slow leak, could be through the access cap if not tightened properly and the needle valve isn't tight.
Did you have to get to the AC line from inside the cab or was it located under the front hood?
I will have to check to see if I can find the low side fill valve and check clutch on AC compressor.

Something is always happening to the Georgetown. I guess it happens to all motorhomes. None are exempt from issues.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #8

If you are going to ad R134 make sure you DO NOT use any type that has a sealant. If you do your A/C warranty will be voided. It is hard to find no sealant R134 at most auto part stores so try Napa or Car Quest or such. All certified A/C shops will use an identifier to see if your system has a sealant in it and will not work on them as the sealant can ruin their equipment. As a former ASE Master mechanic who hates not having someone else work on my vehicles I would let Ford check your A/C system. The sealant in most DIY recharge kits can block up condensers and evaporators making what seemed like a cheap fix very pricey. Just my 1 1/2 cents worth.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours14 View Post
If you are going to ad R134 make sure you DO NOT use any type that has a sealant. If you do your A/C warranty will be voided. It is hard to find no sealant R134 at most auto part stores so try Napa or Car Quest or such. All certified A/C shops will use an identifier to see if your system has a sealant in it and will not work on them as the sealant can ruin their equipment. As a former ASE Master mechanic who hates not having someone else work on my vehicles I would let Ford check your A/C system. The sealant in most DIY recharge kits can block up condensers and evaporators making what seemed like a cheap fix very pricey. Just my 1 1/2 cents worth.
Thanks. Warranty is past except the compressor is still under Ford standard warranty.
Thanks for your remarks and will head for the Ford dealer.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #10

Your welcome.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #11

Iggy, don't forget to let us know the outcome, both from Ford and the problem with your A/C
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Iggy, don't forget to let us know the outcome, both from Ford and the problem with your A/C
Sure will.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #13

Have schedule to drop off Georgetown at my Ford dealer Friday to check the AC.
Will post what they find.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #14

AC Failure caused by

Well, I just received a call from my Ford dealer and they said that my AC compressor failed and they would replace and recharge the system under the standard 3 year 36,000 mile warrantee. If I had to pay for it the cost would be around $700.

FYI
I had my brake system flushed and my transmission fluid changed.
Brake system power flushed cost $150
Transmission fluid replacement $180
Old 09-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #15

This all sounds very similar to my problem. The exception is that we can't find a Ford dealer within a couple of hundred miles to look at the unit. All claim that they can't get the coach, a 2013 Georgetown 360XL, in there shop to work on it. Has anyone else had a problem with your local Ford dealers working on your RV?
Bgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgill View Post
This all sounds very similar to my problem. The exception is that we can't find a Ford dealer within a couple of hundred miles to look at the unit. All claim that they can't get the coach, a 2013 Georgetown 360XL, in there shop to work on it. Has anyone else had a problem with your local Ford dealers working on your RV?
Ford dealer is the only one that can fix if it is the compressor.
That part is under warranty. If it was any other part Ford would not cover it. Good luck
Old 09-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #17

My local deal had his guy replace the compressor while lying on a creeper. It is actually easy to get too. I would put a little pressure on them.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #18

Does Sterling offer Ford service. This is a Ford product as I have been told. Might help.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #19

Thanks all, so far no luck with getting it repaired. I brought it back to the selling dealer last week and still have not heard from them.
Bgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #20

I had the same problem with my 2010 Georgetown dash A/C. The first Ford dealer could not find the leak, and just recharged the system. That did not last very long.

Later I took the motorhome to another Ford dealer who does a lot of F-53 chassis work, and they knew exactly what the problem was. The main seal in the compressor leaked, and had oil visible on the exterior. They replaced the compressor and recharged the freon. The service tech said it is a common problem on the F-53, but Ford had not issued a service bulletin on it. Both repair visits were covered by Ford's 3 year chassis warranty.
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote