Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #1

Added Lights Over Oven in 2011 378TS

Everyone has a different approach, I added light by using 2 RV Pot lights in front of the Microwave and ran the wire through a small finish matching wire loom (self made) and ran the wire to a switch under the Overhead Cabinet. Did this in 12 Volt.

The Plan A approach was to sink the pot light into the slide top but finding a steel plate in there I went to plan B which is to surface mount the lights. Bought the Pot Lights for about $10.00 each, note they are the same as in the bedroom ceiling. Developed an extra switch when I put a dimmer switch in for the light over the couch.

The wood I use is maple with a stain that I am not real happy with but it's how it turned out and I didn't have time to re-do it before the trip we are on and I wanted those lights, gets darned tiring trying to cook in the dark.
Pictures follow: (I Hope):

Oh, by the way I have replaced my halogen light bulbs with LED in the G-4 style mount, found them at Lowes:
Array 10-Watt Equivalent Indoor LED Flood Light Bulb
Item #: 324349 | Model #:AAC10G4WW $8.98 each

They stay cool, are dimable and last a lot longer than the halogen. Also if you are in the market for RV lights, switches, etc., I found a place that gives quick service at about half the price of other over the web stores or camping world. They are through E-Bay at : RV Accessories, Electrical Switches items in RV CAMPER SUPPLIES AND ACCESSORIES store on eBay!
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #2

Looks very similar to the install I did in my coach and posted awhile back, only yours looks better. The lights trimmed in wood really pops. It appears you used screws to reattach the trim above the MW..........I wonder if other 378 owners know that trim needs to be removed to replace the lightbulb in the MW.

P.S. Is it possible I provided a small bit of inspiration?
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:56 AM   #3

Nice work, looks great!
Old 06-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulwv View Post
Looks very similar to the install I did in my coach and posted awhile back, only yours looks better. The lights trimmed in wood really pops. It appears you used screws to reattach the trim above the MW..........I wonder if other 378 owners know that trim needs to be removed to replace the lightbulb in the MW.

P.S. Is it possible I provided a small bit of inspiration?
Thanks for the kind comments, unfortunately I did not see your post that I am aware of. I had planned this mod since day one of buying the rig, just never got off my butt to do it.

Thanks again.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Thanks for the kind comments, unfortunately I did not see your post that I am aware of. I had planned this mod since day one of buying the rig, just never got off my butt to do it.

Thanks again.
Oops, I did see your mod and made a comment on it I think, about how wide the door opens.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #6

[QUOTE=JimF;201391]Everyone has a different approach, I added light by using 2 RV Pot lights in front of the Microwave and ran the wire through a small finish matching wire loom (self made) and ran the wire to a switch under the Overhead Cabinet. Did this in 12 Volt.

Jim -

Did you have any problem screwing the fixture to the ceiling?
ohiobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #7

[QUOTE=ohiobill;205984]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Everyone has a different approach, I added light by using 2 RV Pot lights in front of the Microwave and ran the wire through a small finish matching wire loom (self made) and ran the wire to a switch under the Overhead Cabinet. Did this in 12 Volt.

Jim -

Did you have any problem screwing the fixture to the ceiling?
No problem, just use a coarse thread screw.

Tags
378ts