Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
OC, if you're to get technical here, "hot" is different to each person. Water at 120 deg F might be hot to some and just warm to others. My SIL washes dishes in the sink with water that's "warm" to her, but its too "hot" for me to put my hands in it.

I don't know how hot the water is in my water heater before it kicks in to make it hotter.

To the OP, I like the idea of the remote switch. If I were going to do it, I'd prefer the switch be located next to the switch for gas to the water heater. Maybe I'd use an ON-OFF-ON DPST switch. Your location might save running a lot of wire though.
Do you ever hear someone say "that's too warm to touch" - not often.

Doesn't your water heater kick in when the water in the tank reaches or falls below the thermostat setting?
__________________

__________________
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Sargent's Fox Hole's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Akron OH
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Why not just "Water Heater" Why would you want to heat hot water?
Sounds like a male pi**ing contest to me. I bet if you asked 100 people about the thing in the basement that makes their water not cold....I bet at least 75% would say 'hot water heater'!!!
__________________

__________________
Sargent's Fox Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840
It's Cheese and Macaroni!








__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent's Fox Hole View Post
Sounds like a male pi**ing contest to me. I bet if you asked 100 people about the thing in the basement that makes their water not cold....I bet at least 75% would say 'hot water heater'!!!
I agree, but it still doesn't make it correct.


Note the absence of "Hot Water Heater" in these ads.
Shop Water Heaters at Lowes.com!

Water Heater - Tankless Water Heater, Electric & Gas water Heaters*at The Home Depot
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
bend302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bronston, KY
Posts: 685
I think it's a geographic thing. Midwest and South seems to say hot water heater although I have an English teacher friend that rants when he hears that.

Iggy, did you keep the breaker in the circuit? If so, did you need extra wire for that connection?

Bill
__________________

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
I think it's a geographic thing. Midwest and South seems to say hot water heater although I have an English teacher friend that rants when he hears that.

Iggy, did you keep the breaker in the circuit? If so, did you need extra wire for that connection?

Bill

I just wired from the breaker to the new switch using about 18" of 12/2 with ground romex then use the existing wire from the switch to the heater.
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
DAISY BOYKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SUNSHINE STATE
Posts: 1,623
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
I did the same-------------------

Iggy, I did the same mod two years ago. But what I found out is you should cycle the OFF/ON switch several times on the hot water tank ever so often.
The reason is I guess the switch becomes corroded and will lose contact. I found this to be true after 18 months of the mod being performed. My Hot water tank stopped getting hot on the electrical side. After investigating the problem, I found the switch was working but at low ele power.
__________________
Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
Iggy, I did the same mod two years ago. But what I found out is you should cycle the OFF/ON switch several times on the hot water tank ever so often.
The reason is I guess the switch becomes corroded and will lose contact. I found this to be true after 18 months of the mod being performed. My Hot water tank stopped getting hot on the electrical side. After investigating the problem, I found the switch was working but at low ele power.
Hi
Yes, those small black switches on the actual heater aren't rated high enough to handle constant uses ON/OFFs. The switch I installed is rated at 20 amps and should easily handle the load of the electric element going on. I'm happy.
Have a great day!
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
copsuno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Greer, SC
Posts: 277
Iggy, for curiosity sake, what did you do about the elec switch at Water Heater, do you leave it in on position or is it by passed completely? Guess you can tell that electrical wiring is not my specialty.
__________________
Logic will carry you from point A to point B. Imagination will carry you everywhere. "Albert Einstein". 2011 Georgetown 360, Bride of 45yrs, and 2014 Chev Equinox toad, what more could you ask for.
copsuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by copsuno View Post
Iggy, for curiosity sake, what did you do about the elec switch at Water Heater, do you leave it in on position or is it by passed completely? Guess you can tell that electrical wiring is not my specialty.
I will leave the switch on all the time and use the new one to control.
If the small switch gives me problems I will remove and bypass the switch totally. It doesn't hurt to leave the one on the water heater on.
__________________

__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.