Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #21

I install the switch for my water heater,I check the lugs on the breakers while I had the panel off.Found one that was not tighten at all.Good ideal to check while you are in there.
manvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #22

good job iggy

And by posting "hot water heater" you also showed how many nits a nitpicker picks, haha. It must be winter and the shut ins found something to do. 83 here in Tampa today. Would that be considered hot? Not for me but I bet the Canucks staying down here are peeled to their underwear.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Why not just "Water Heater" Why would you want to heat hot water?
My thoughts also. Folks down here say "hot water heater" but my plumber dad always corrected us. Water Heater. Ha. Either way, I love this job and will be doing mine soon. Tried it in wildcat but never got the light to work. ???? This looks easier in the rockwood.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I have a 2012 378TS and it only has the 120 volt switch outside at the hot water heater. I know why but still wanted to add a switch inside.
I could use the circuit breaker but they are not meant to be used as a switch.

So I bought a switch light combo at Home Depot and used a small amount of wire.

1. I removed the electrical panel and removed the 3 wires from the hot water heater. (black, white and bare copper)
It was long enough to reach the hole I cut above the electric panel.

2. I added about 18" of romex wire from the electrical panel to the new switch and mounted in the wall with a blue electric box. NOTE:I found all the wiring was with #12 AWG (rated 20amps) instead of #14 AWG (rated at 15 amps) . Good job FR.

3. Now when I want to turn on my electric for the water heater in the morning before showering all I have to do it turn on the switch and the red light comes on to show me it is ON.

I could have located it at a different location but I always try to keep it simple and the present location would be hard to accidently turn it on or off. I plan to add stickers to make it look more professional.

Very easy project for about $10 and an hour of time.
Do not understand FR did it right by using 12ga rated at 20 amps then @ 14awg. rated at 15 amps. The larger the wire the less heat it will produce. I would much more want 12ga. instead of 14 ga. Your breaker works off the appliance amps not the size of wire, a larger gage wire will not get as hot...Sorry but you confused me with that statement. You also have to add in voltage drop. Your voltage will drop less with the larger wire and distance it has to travel....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by manvel View Post
I install the switch for my water heater,I check the lugs on the breakers while I had the panel off.Found one that was not tighten at all.Good ideal to check while you are in there.
Thanks for the thought.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Do not understand FR did it right by using 12ga rated at 20 amps then @ 14awg. rated at 15 amps. The larger the wire the less heat it will produce. I would much more want 12ga. instead of 14 ga. Your breaker works off the appliance amps not the size of wire, a larger gage wire will not get as hot...Sorry but you confused me with that statement. You also have to add in voltage drop. Your voltage will drop less with the larger wire and distance it has to travel....
I think he said he found 12g and not 14g. That's a good thing, right?

Old 12-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I think he said he found 12g and not 14g. That's a good thing, right?
Yes you are right, for some reason I read it as he changed from 12 to 14 ga. I even read it 4 times, I guess I'm getting mush brain as I get older......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #28

I think most in my neck of the woods, WNY State, would call it the hot water tank, or "honey did you turn on the hot water tank heater" IMHO LOL!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
I think most in my neck of the woods, WNY State, would call it the hot water tank, or "honey did you turn on the hot water tank heater" IMHO LOL!
Don't hear it called the hot water tank that often, but this time of year, its common to hear somebody say they have to "unthaw" the pipes. I can never resist asking why they want frozen pipes.

And since you mentioned being from WNY - I would take a cheap shot and bet you drink "pop" but that might be going too far off topic...

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #30
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
Don't hear it called the hot water tank that often, but this time of year, its common to hear somebody say they have to "unthaw" the pipes. I can never resist asking why they want frozen pipes.

And since you mentioned being from WNY - I would take a cheap shot and bet you drink "pop" but that might be going too far off topic...
I was born and raised in Henrietta, NY (just South of Rochester) and we called it "pop" and all "pop" came in glass bottles and there was a 5 cent per bottle deposit required for each bottle purchased from a vending machine and not returned. That "pop" tasted much better than the stuff today.

Our evening meal was called "supper" also.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #31

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I was born and raised in Henrietta, NY (just South of Rochester) and we called it "pop" and all "pop" came in glass bottles and there was a 5 cent per bottle deposit required for each bottle purchased from a vending machine and not returned. That "pop" tasted much better than the stuff today.

Just like Ontario.

I think we moved a long way from water heater.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #32
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon35 View Post
Just like Ontario.

I think we moved a long way from water heater.

That happens sometimes.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Yes you are right, for some reason I read it as he changed from 12 to 14 ga. I even read it 4 times, I guess I'm getting mush brain as I get older......
I am an electrician and yes it was wired with #12 awg wire on the 15 amp breaker. I had #14 awg and used it from the breaker tot he switch and from the switch to the heater I used the existing #12 awg.
This is legal as long as it stays on a 15 amp circuit breaker. If I changed to a 20 amp all the wired must be #12awg.
The heating element is only 1440 watts and at 120 volt that pulls 12 amp which still safe.
Any questions class?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:

Born, raised and married in Trenton, MO and we drank pop in glass bottles with a 2cent refund and our noon meal was dinner and evening meal was supper. We also said "yes sir and yes mam".
Old 12-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #35
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Born, raised and married in Trenton, MO and we drank pop in glass bottles with a 2cent refund and our noon meal was dinner and evening meal was supper. We also said "yes sir and yes mam".
Yes you and I have some simillaries in our backgrounds. We also opened doors for our elders.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #36

Quote:
Yes you and I have some simillaries in our backgrounds. We also opened doors for our elders.
All ladies of any age.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #37
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
All ladies of any age.
You beat me to my editing to include that - still do. But I have heard that some ladies don't like that being done for them sometimes -sad.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #38
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
All ladies of any age.
It was mandatory or else! Especially when we started dating.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon35 View Post
just like ontario.
i think we moved a long way from water heater

Yes and I started the first message about my water heater switch.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

Yes and I started the first message about my water heater switch.
If you are going to switch your water heater, may I suggest tankless.....

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater