Old 11-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #1

Added switch for Hot Water Heater inside

I have a 2012 378TS and it only has the 120 volt switch outside at the hot water heater. I know why but still wanted to add a switch inside.
I could use the circuit breaker but they are not meant to be used as a switch.

So I bought a switch light combo at Home Depot and used a small amount of wire.

1. I removed the electrical panel and removed the 3 wires from the hot water heater. (black, white and bare copper)
It was long enough to reach the hole I cut above the electric panel.

2. I added about 18" of romex wire from the electrical panel to the new switch and mounted in the wall with a blue electric box. NOTE:I found all the wiring was with #12 AWG (rated 20amps) instead of #14 AWG (rated at 15 amps) . Good job FR.

3. Now when I want to turn on my electric for the water heater in the morning before showering all I have to do it turn on the switch and the red light comes on to show me it is ON.

I could have located it at a different location but I always try to keep it simple and the present location would be hard to accidently turn it on or off. I plan to add stickers to make it look more professional.

Very easy project for about $10 and an hour of time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mod Picture 027.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	42760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mod Picture 028.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	42761  

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Iggy, that looks good. Thanks for sharing.

I'm going to pick at you just a little. Electric water sounds dangerous, whether it's cold or hot.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Iggy, that looks good. Thanks for sharing.

I'm going to pick at you just a little. Electric water sounds dangerous, whether it's cold or hot.
Why not just "Water Heater" Why would you want to heat hot water?
Old 11-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Why not just "Water Heater" Why would you want to heat hot water?
We do it all of the time. It's only cold when you first turn it on. After that, you're re-heating hot water...
Old 11-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
We do it all of the time. It's only cold when you first turn it on. After that, you're re-heating hot water...
No, you're heating warm water, if it were hot, the heater would not engage.

They are advertised as water heaters, not hot water heaters. Check it out!
Old 11-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
No, you're heating warm water, if it were hot, the heater would not engage.

They are advertised as water heaters, not hot water heaters. Check it out!
I would assume it's your determination of what is "warm" vs. "hot" and when the water heater kicks on to re-heat the water (looks like 110 degrees; is that "warm" or "hot" ).

I chuckle at the nomenclature of "hot water heater", but I also question myself if I'm being a little too spastic for worrying either way!
Old 11-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I would assume it's your determination of what is "warm" vs. "hot" and when the water heater kicks on to re-heat the water (looks like 110 degrees; is that "warm" or "hot" ).

I chuckle at the nomenclature of "hot water heater", but I also question myself if I'm being a little too spastic for worrying either way!
If you can hold your hand in it, it's warm. 130į+ is hot.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Canadian Member

OC, if you're to get technical here, "hot" is different to each person. Water at 120 deg F might be hot to some and just warm to others. My SIL washes dishes in the sink with water that's "warm" to her, but its too "hot" for me to put my hands in it.

I don't know how hot the water is in my water heater before it kicks in to make it hotter.

To the OP, I like the idea of the remote switch. If I were going to do it, I'd prefer the switch be located next to the switch for gas to the water heater. Maybe I'd use an ON-OFF-ON DPST switch. Your location might save running a lot of wire though.
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
Fulltime family RVer

Iggy, I do love our inside switch for the electric side of our water heater (came from the factory & I'm lucky that it's like itat mentions- having it right beside our gas switch is nice). No matter what- I'm sure you're going to love the convenience!
Old 11-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
OC, if you're to get technical here, "hot" is different to each person. Water at 120 deg F might be hot to some and just warm to others. My SIL washes dishes in the sink with water that's "warm" to her, but its too "hot" for me to put my hands in it.

I don't know how hot the water is in my water heater before it kicks in to make it hotter.

To the OP, I like the idea of the remote switch. If I were going to do it, I'd prefer the switch be located next to the switch for gas to the water heater. Maybe I'd use an ON-OFF-ON DPST switch. Your location might save running a lot of wire though.
Agree, was just commenting on the labeling of the switch and folks calling water heaters "Hot water heaters".

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater