Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 12:44 AM   #1

Adding a 3rd A/C

Having thoughts about adding a 3rd A/C system in our 378XL. Where it would go is where the vent is in the kitchen. I would wire it to its own 20amp breaker and the fan would be moved to the one in the shower area. Any one else have thoughts about doing this? When the outside temp is around 100 and heat index put it around 105 this puts a strain on the 2 A/C's we currently have.

I understand running of pole power should not have an issue, and in no way would the generator supply enough. I am not worried about these issues. Also the A/C would be one that had the controls on the unit itself so I would not have to worry about running another T-Stat.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:33 AM   #2

Most A/C won't handle that heat load in home or A/C. Definitely need more Btu.
It would be noisy with 3 units running.
Usually a 15-20 degree difference between outside and inside air design

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Coach 350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #3

Have you tried using a fan to circulate the air, that's what helped in my vlite

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2015, 09:52 AM   #4

You may also try running a dehumidifier at the same time as you are running the two existing AC’s.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair View Post
Having thoughts about adding a 3rd A/C system in our 378XL. Where it would go is where the vent is in the kitchen. I would wire it to its own 20amp breaker and the fan would be moved to the one in the shower area. Any one else have thoughts about doing this? When the outside temp is around 100 and heat index put it around 105 this puts a strain on the 2 A/C's we currently have.

I understand running of pole power should not have an issue, and in no way would the generator supply enough. I am not worried about these issues. Also the A/C would be one that had the controls on the unit itself so I would not have to worry about running another T-Stat.
I worked at corp of engineers park alot of them only have 30 amp pedestals. I got to see several rv' and TT burn up AC when they Try to run both AC's.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:30 PM   #6

Maybe get power from two pedestals with a separate cord linked directly to the extra ac
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:28 PM   #7

We use 2 small fans. One in bedroom pushing front
I in front setting on dashboard pushing back
Keep back temp as low as it will go

Have you tinted windows. Helps a whole bunch

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1438025225.493796.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	84321
2017 SUNSEEKER MBS 2400W
2013 HONDA FIT SPORT
psgrandpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:32 PM   #8
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
Maybe get power from two pedestals with a separate cord linked directly to the extra ac
That might tick off your neighbor in the adjacent space.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:24 PM   #9

We do use a fan and that does help but when its 100 outside and no shade the 3rd AC would be nice.I'm getting it planned out in my head and we'll see where it goes. Was wondering if anyone else was thinking the same thing. If i pull the trigger I'll definally post pictures.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #10

Quote:
We do use a fan and that does help but when its 100 outside and no shade the 3rd AC would be nice.I'm getting it planned out in my head and we'll see where it goes. Was wondering if anyone else was thinking the same thing. If i pull the trigger I'll definally post pictures.

Try this site. Don't know if you have room. www.rvcomfort.com>pdf_documents

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Coach 350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:44 PM   #11

Quote:

A good friend we camp with installed a 3rd unit in is 40+ foot toy hauler. When he has a 50 amp service he runs his 2 off of that, then plugs his 3rd into the 30amp or 20amp with it's own shore line. He has never thrown a breaker or burnt anything up he was able to feed the wire through his ceiling then he ran it down his wall with a decorative wire cover/wall saver. He used a normal 30 amp twist lock connector on the outside that he wired. It looks good and his camper felt like a ice box. i'm gonna go with the same set up in mine.
Snowbumm74 is offline   Reply With Quote