Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2018, 03:00 PM   #21

spendid washer and dryer

this unit pulls a lot of amps, especially when drying. I work on splendid and it should be on a circuit by its self. watch the outlet had a few peoblems when the socket was melting and causing issues with unit. It burned rhe control board out because of arching in the switch and low voltage. Just take precautions with it on a multi item circuit...
Quality Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:20 PM   #22

If possible put in a dedicated 20 amp circuit breaker and run 12 guage wire.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #23
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlafleur View Post
Thanks everyone.

I have 2X50A panels.

I do have one regular slot left open in each distribution panels. On has a 15A breaker, which is tagged to the Water Heater, and 20A tagged one of the A/C units.
The other panel has 4X20A circuits going to the Microwave (Convection) oven, the other A/C unit, all receptacles, and the GFI.
I guess my preferred panel would be the first one because it only has a total of 35A.
Opinions?
Correct.
Hook your washer/dryer to that one.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
If the Neutrals of both panels are combined, then it's quite possible that it will work fine, EXCEPT for the fact that both 50amp Main Breakers will not trip together, which is required in 240v service. Of course, you could also say that any unbalance would also trip the Shore Pedestal's 50amp double-pole breaker, for the protection it requires.
The pedestal has a 2-pole breaker which will open both legs at the same time. An "unbalance" would not trip it, though. Overamperage on either of the two hot legs trips it.
jessa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:17 AM   #25

This is all I could find on this panel which is not made anymore by the way. It would seem that someone installed 50 amp breakers in a 30 amp panel.

I don't see any reference to ul listings. It appears to have been a factory install in at least 2007 keystone and 2012 raven

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...ta-Idp-30.html
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:38 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Just a little more to consider, if your RV is of the 30 amp variety.

Depending on how many amps (related to wattage) of ALL the things you use in total... You could actually go from overloading the individual circuit 20 amp breaker to overloading the RV or pedestals main 30 amp breaker.

You need to figure out the amps/wattage of everything, as running a separate circuit may not solve the problem....but just change which circuit breaker trips.

These links may help:

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)
If you have a 30 Amp supply only then you can add the receptacle and wire it down to a separate exterior 20 Amp plug.

You can then use a simple extension cord to connect to the 20 Amp receptacle on the pedestal at the campground to power the washer without running it through your panel.

The pedestal itself will have the circuit breaker.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
If you have a 30 Amp supply only then you can add the receptacle and wire it down to a separate exterior 20 Amp plug.

You can then use a simple extension cord to connect to the 20 Amp receptacle on the pedestal at the campground to power the washer without running it through your panel.

The pedestal itself will have the circuit breaker.
If you use this method be sure the extension cord is at least 12 gauge wire and not excessively long.

Also the 20 amp outlet on the pedestal is a GFCI, and sometimes an appliance which has a motor (such as the washing machine) will cause the GFCI to trip. This is why dedicated refrigerator and washing machine outlets in residences are not GFCI.
jessa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessa82 View Post
If you use this method be sure the extension cord is at least 12 gauge wire and not excessively long.

Also the 20 amp outlet on the pedestal is a GFCI, and sometimes an appliance which has a motor (such as the washing machine) will cause the GFCI to trip. This is why dedicated refrigerator and washing machine outlets in residences are not GFCI.
X2 on the 12 Ga extension,

Usually it is motors that have a capacitor start cause GFCI troubles. Neither the washer or dryer use such motors.

If it did though then they can use an adapter that plugs into the 50 Amp receptacle and splits to a 30 amp and 20 amp receptacle so he could hook them both up that way without the GFCI being a problem.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:24 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlafleur View Post
Hi,
I'm the owner of 2004 Georgetown I purchased used last spring. Part of the deal included the dealer installing a Splendide washer/dryer, and the only available spot was in the bedroom, next to the distribution panel. By the way, it works like a charm -- if you're not in a hurry, but then we're retired and have all the time.
The problem is that the dealer connected the unit to the (120V) receptable most accessible: in the TV cabinet of the bedroom. So far no problem. Except that it looks as if all receptacles are on the same circtuit, on a 20A breaker. This creates an issue if I try to do a laundry load while using a little heater to keep warm in the living room area, as the circuit breaker trips.
And my question is: can an additional circuit breaker be added to the IDP 30 distibution box. There seems to be room for it, but I'm unsure of the type of breaker required. I would add a circuit for the W/D alone, leaving the other receptacle on the original circuit.
Thanks,
Maurice
could you show use a picture of your shore power cord termination to you MH. Transfer switch etc.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:36 AM   #30

keep it simple. For occasional use of an extra heater, etc. run a 12 awg extension cord to the 15 amp recept on the camp ground power panel.
tonys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:52 PM   #31

Hi,

I finally got around to re-wire the Splendide receptacle. Took me two hours including re-routing the other receptacles on the existing 20A circuit.

I opted to isolate the outlet for the W/D on a separate 15A circuit, with 12 gauge wiring. Not a big job, it's just that's it's cramped in there.

So now I have the two A/C, the Water Heater and the Washer/Dryer on one distribution panel, and the rest of the rig on the other DP.

So far so good, as it is currently on 55-60F in Jacksonville and we need to keep warm with the little 12.5A space heater, while doing a laundry load.

Thank you everyone for your contirbution.

Maurice
mlafleur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker