Old 12-13-2018, 09:23 PM   #1

Adding a circuit breaker to distribution panel

Hi,
I'm the owner of 2004 Georgetown I purchased used last spring. Part of the deal included the dealer installing a Splendide washer/dryer, and the only available spot was in the bedroom, next to the distribution panel. By the way, it works like a charm -- if you're not in a hurry, but then we're retired and have all the time.
The problem is that the dealer connected the unit to the (120V) receptable most accessible: in the TV cabinet of the bedroom. So far no problem. Except that it looks as if all receptacles are on the same circtuit, on a 20A breaker. This creates an issue if I try to do a laundry load while using a little heater to keep warm in the living room area, as the circuit breaker trips.
And my question is: can an additional circuit breaker be added to the IDP 30 distibution box. There seems to be room for it, but I'm unsure of the type of breaker required. I would add a circuit for the W/D alone, leaving the other receptacle on the original circuit.
Thanks,
Maurice

mlafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #2
Coach

If you have the space in the box it can be done. A good visual inspection of your current breakers will reveal what brand you need. Should be available from Lowe's or Home Depot. From there it's just basic wiring. If you're not experienced with wiring, it's probably a job best left to someone who is. Improper wiring is a big fire risk.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:39 PM   #3

easy job for a qualified electrician. RV is no different than an a house.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:42 PM   #4
Site Team

Just a little more to consider, if your RV is of the 30 amp variety.

Depending on how many amps (related to wattage) of ALL the things you use in total... You could actually go from overloading the individual circuit 20 amp breaker to overloading the RV or pedestals main 30 amp breaker.

You need to figure out the amps/wattage of everything, as running a separate circuit may not solve the problem....but just change which circuit breaker trips.

These links may help:

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformat...lectricity.asp

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformat...d-amp-draw.asp

I hate it when people don't know the difference between ur and u'r!
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:34 AM   #5

Answer

I assume (know what that means), that if you are asking, that you know what you are doing!!!! If not, get a qualified electrician - none exist in the rv community to my knowledge (commentary).

Back to your original question vs Ö.

So even if there is no room (spare), an existing CB can be replaced with one that will fit in its slot that consists of 2 skinny cbs. If you look in the pic, I replaced a single 20amp cb with 2 20amp cbs in 1 location. The new 2 skinny cbs are actually 1 cb with that has 2 circuits in 1cb. You need to use the correct wiring size and grounding for the new circuit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CBs.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	193037  
270S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:52 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
I assume (know what that means), that if you are asking, that you know what you are doing!!!! If not, get a qualified electrician - none exist in the rv community to my knowledge (commentary).

Back to your original question vs Ö.

So even if there is no room (spare), an existing CB can be replaced with one that will fit in its slot that consists of 2 skinny cbs. If you look in the pic, I replaced a single 20amp cb with 2 20amp cbs in 1 location. The new 2 skinny cbs are actually 1 cb with that has 2 circuits in 1cb. You need to use the correct wiring size and grounding for the new circuit.

What he said ^^^
I'm not familiar with a Georgetown but my last 3 TTs had extra slots. If you do not have an empty slot you can indeed replace an existing breaker with a twin half wide and still get it to work.
Do be careful!!
It will most likely be something like this-- https://www.homedepot.com/p/Connecti...1515/100175182
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	connecticut-electric-1-pole-breakers-ubitbbd1515-64_1000.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	193038  
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:03 AM   #7
western NC mountains!

a 15/15 tandem/twin breaker is a fine way to save space, and use the same position to power both of these ciruits without needing to add or move any existing breakers.

Chances are, though, you'll still have to consider that you are limited to what you can run at the same time, even if they are on separate circuits, since the limiting factor is then your Main 30amp breaker, though this might give you a little more breathing room.

Heaters are a main source of breaker tripping since they require so many amps compared to other items you plug in. Right now you are tripping a single breaker, but with this new setup you could start tripping the Main breaker, loosing ALL power, not just one circuit.

an easier option would be to just not run both at the same time,
or plug in the heater in a different circuit : )

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 200w/10amps mobile SOLAR
90,000+mi, US, Alaska, Canada, western NC for now : )
formerFR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:23 AM   #8
Head Rambler

According to the manual for the Iota IDP 30 panel "The IDP 30 is listed to accept any standard 1" wide circuit breaker and interchangeable models currently on the market, whether one pole or twin. It is not brand or part number specific."
Old 12-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #9

Thanks everyone.

I have 2X50A panels.

I do have one regular slot left open in each distribution panels. On has a 15A breaker, which is tagged to the Water Heater, and 20A tagged one of the A/C units.
The other panel has 4X20A circuits going to the Microwave (Convection) oven, the other A/C unit, all receptacles, and the GFI.
I guess my preferred panel would be the first one because it only has a total of 35A.
Opinions?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0028.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	193045   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0027.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	193046  
mlafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:50 AM   #10
western NC mountains!

wow, that's a new one on me, if it's a 'true' 50amp RV service double-pole 240v coach.... was it wired this way from the factory?

formerFR is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker