Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #1

Adding a second A/C unit

I have a 2010 Georgetown 330 and I'm replacing the existing 13,500 btu A/C unit with a 15,000 btu heat pump and was thinking of putting the old unit in the bedroom area as a second unit. Does anyone know if that factory pre-wires for second A/C units? Also, do they normally go where the roof vent is in the bedroom or somewhere else? thanks in advance.
georgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #2

Our 378 is prewired for a 2nd AC in the bedroom, yes they go in the roof vent. Check your breaker panel, I would bet you have a breaker for 2nd AC or bedroom AC, we do.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #3

Thanks NWJeeper for the quick reply. I do have a breaker for a second A/C, but wasn't sure if they were put in the vent or not, or if it would be pre-wired. I will drop the inside of the vent and have a look up there and hopefully find the wiring, it would save a lot of headaches.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #4

I had to drop the inner part of our vent to get the crank mechanism out as it was jamming up, there was a junction box tucked up in there for the 110V wiring for the 2nd AC.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #5

Finally got around to replacing the original unit with a heat pump and putting the original unit in as a second unit in the bedroom. You were right NWJeeper, the wiring was tucked behind the vent in the bedroom. One of the reasons this whole project was thought of was that the original unit had a slight leak at times when it rained. When I removed the original unit, I noticed that the roof was sagging on the along sides of the A/C hole. There was support on the front and rear sides of the hole but not on the sides. The rubber seal on the A/C unit was causing the roof to dip down on the left and right sides of the opening over 1/2" and not seal properly. Before i installed the new unit, I put in some support pieces on the sides to keep things where they should be and not start to collapse under the pressure of the seal being compressed. I did the same for the rear unit as there was no support there either. All is sealed and good now, just don't understand why forest river would not put any sort of support in there, since with out any it's just a leak waiting to happen. So just a heads up, if anyone has a slight leak on the A/C unit, check and see if there is support all around the opening in the roof and that the roof is not sagging down around the seal.