Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #1

Adding an Overhead Front TV to '14 351DS

I've seen some online pictures where some of the 351s have an overhead TV. I did a mod so that you could watch TV on the camera's monitor, but I would like something bigger and the middle overhead cabinet is useless. I can think of a few ways to installing one up there, but would like to see close up pictures of the ones that came stock. Pictures of the bracket with the TV removed would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
Happy Member

X2 here...Have been thinking the same and wondering how and if that is possible with a very light LED Tv
2013 FR GT 351DFS
GT4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #3

The flip up door right now is strong enough to hold a TV. I just don't want to drill holes for the bracket on it. I thought about removing the door and installing plywood using the same hinges. There is a power outlet on the driver's side cabinet so that's easy. I don't need it to watch cable or antenna TV. I already have a small bluray player that can go in one of the cabinets. It's actually pretty easy, but wanted to see how FR did it.

Now, it would be nice to make the outlet for the TV and player run off of the inverter, but that's a long distance.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
Happy Member

Yes, I came to the same conclusion as you after checking things out up there.

However...Taking it one steps further. I want to see what I can do to make the TV usable when the Overhead Bunkbed is down (in the cabin)... you know how that sheet rolls down with the bunkbed?

so I'm debating & researching...or may be I'm waaaay overthinking it and I just do it the simple way.
2013 FR GT 351DFS
GT4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #5

I think that's why FR stopped installing the TV there. We don't have the drop down bed.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #6

Got it all done. I had two desk shelves laying around and they were the perfect fit for the opening. I could have used the original cabinet door, but didn't want damage it in case we or someone else would want it back to original.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:05 AM   #7

We have the bed up front -- but I have still thought about doing something like this. Might have to do some measuring to see if things will fit. There are times when I really wish I had a TV up there. We do have an old LED tv from our previous camper that we have carried along (mainly for the kids to play games on). We just stood it up on the console and all was good. But, I'd really like to mount it.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookupAndGo View Post
We have the bed up front -- but I have still thought about doing something like this. Might have to do some measuring to see if things will fit. There are times when I really wish I had a TV up there. We do have an old LED tv from our previous camper that we have carried along (mainly for the kids to play games on). We just stood it up on the console and all was good. But, I'd really like to mount it.
We had two other 32" TVs in the house, but they were both too wide and heavy. The Toshiba LED TVs that came with the coach are extremely light and the perfect fit between the cabinet doors. I took the one from the bedroom for this mod and will install one of the spare ones we have in the bedroom.

BTW, I recommend those Toshiba TVs. The picture is amazing and they are extremely light. I almost bought one on ebay for 200 bucks, but since we had two other TVs didn't want to spend the money...okay, DW didn't wan to spend the money