Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #1

Adding batteries on 2004

We are picking up our new (to us) 2004 this week. Has anyone added additional house batteries to a 36 ft triple slide? We will be adding solar panels and would like to have a larger battery storage
tycham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #2

Have not added extra batteries to mine but it is simple wiring (FYI I am a NC state licensed electrical contractor) jump all positives togother then jump all negatives togother. This will add to your storage capacity without increasing the voltage. ( FYI when you go camper to positive then negative to positive on second battery then negative back to camper is when you increase you voltage MAKE SURE YOU DONT DO THAT)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #3

Not worried about how but is there room for two more
Old 04-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #4

Not sure on room, I would wait and see after you pack it. I made it find with one battery. The only time I camped without shore power was at the races. I would run a gen about 2 hours a day to charge the battery. That worked for me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #5

If your model has the batteries located under the steps, there isn't much room left, especially if the hydraulics are located there too. You might add several batteries to the closest storage bin area and cable them to your existing. I added a house battery to my B van and bought red and black battery cable to reach an isolator switch that was then cabled to the chassis battery so it would charge going down the road. One group 27 deep cycle powers my small frig and 12v lights overnight no problem. Two should work fine for you.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #6

Thanks. We picked her up yesterday and that was the first thing I checked. I will put a couple in the next compartment, together with the solar connection. I am going to measure for a slide out for servicing but otherwise install a plastic pan for protection.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #7

Good idea on the plastic catch pan. Also consider sealed marine deep cycle. Much less chance of hydrogen build up in a sealed compartment and less fuss not having to frequently add water to a non sealed battery.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #8

Both good ideas. Since the dealer installed two new Interstate golf batteries (225 ampHr) I am going to go with another two of the same.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #9

OK. Finished the project today. I now have a total of 6 225 amp batteries. They are being charged by 400 watts of solar power and are powering both the regular 12 volt system and a 2000 watt inverter. Ready for the boondocks!

Tags
battery