Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
Wow, that seems like a lot, but at least it will keep everything bleachy white.
Ya I only use that ratio to sanitize the whole system, then drain and refill with fresh clean water. If you intend to drink the water add only a couple ounces to a full tank. Even then you can detect a slight chlorine smell. If you have sanitized your fresh water system and refill it with water that is already treated by your city, etc, then you don't need to add chlorine unless it sits unused for awhile. When on the road I typically only keep the tank about a quarter full and replenish frequently and don't ever treat. If we stay where the park water supply is questionable, we always carry a gallon jug of store bought water for coffee and drinking.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #22

When sanitizing the FW tank do you leave the bleach mix in it for a certain amount of time or just fill then drain and fill again? Sorry for the newb question.
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragon View Post
When sanitizing the FW tank do you leave the bleach mix in it for a certain amount of time or just fill then drain and fill again? Sorry for the newb question.
The bleach solution needs 24 hours to sanitize.
NO worries about questions; the only dumb ones are the ones that go unasked.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #24

Ok thank you. I'm going to do mine tomorrow since it's new and I'm not sure if it comes already sanitized.
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragon View Post
Ok thank you. I'm going to do mine tomorrow since it's new and I'm not sure if it comes already sanitized.
Just be sure to drain and refill and run the water pump and all of the faucets and outside shower hot and cold.
Fill and drain till you are good with the way the water smells.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Just be sure to drain and refill and run the water pump and all of the faucets and outside shower hot and cold.
Fill and drain till you are good with the way he water smells.
This is a good point. If after you do a drain and flush, you still have heavy chlorine taste (like pool water), you can flush once with a baking soda solution. (NOT baking POWDER! )

Since you should sanitize whenever the camper sits with water in its tank for a few weeks, you might as well get used to doing it often.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #27

I purchased the Camco handpump normally used to pump antifreeze into the waterlines. I'm going to try that for chlorine when I de-winterize.

PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #28
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

We follow this for any "stored" water.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/..._Flyer_508.pdf

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:34 PM   #29

I pour bleach into my outside cartridge water filter. I pump it into the holding tank first then use the pump get it to all the faucets. I add about 1/2 cup per 60 gal for my unit. I let it set over night and then drain the system and the holding tank. I seldom have any smell when finished. I use (2) water line filters - outside I have a standard house cartridge filter that receives a sediment cartridge to catch the crap. Inside the wet bay I have a second filter that I install a charcoal filter in for taste. That way I have city chlorine in the holding tank to keep down germs and the charcoal filter to get the taste out of either the holding tank or the city water line. This works well for me.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:36 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
The bleach solution needs 24 hours to sanitize.
NO worries about questions; the only dumb ones are the ones that go unasked.
When I used to make my own beer and wine I also used bleach, but would only let it sit for 30 minutes or so. IMO, 24 hours seems excessive.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:57 PM   #31

If you check West Marine, they have product that you dump in your tank and it takes care of it all. It is called sweet water. Use to use that in my sail boat all the time. Even when we went to 3rd world countries. But an OLD SAILOR told me not to waste my money and said just dump a 1/5th of cheap Vodka in the tank. I tried it and used it ever since. True story. You do not taste the Vodka at all. Kills all bacteria.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:59 PM   #32

Vodka, huh. Maybe if you use two fifths, you won't have to use anti freeze in the winter!
Scagsdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank