Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2017, 06:59 PM   #1

Adding the Toad

Looking at purchasing (tomorrow) a new 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport, manual transmission. We own a 2016 Georgetown 364ts. Do you think this is a good fit and we're looking at a blue ox towing system. I appreciate your words of wisdom and advice. Thank you.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:21 PM   #2

I have a 2015 wrangler unlimited easy setup, they sell a wiring harness that is plug and play. It connects on the passengers side. It is a molar part so you don't need the blue ox wiring harness. And it comes wit the cable from the Jeep to the motor home.
miked11272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked11272 View Post
I have a 2015 wrangler unlimited easy setup, they sell a wiring harness that is plug and play. It connects on the passengers side. It is a molar part so you don't need the blue ox wiring harness. And it comes wit the cable from the Jeep to the motor home.

Hey this is all new to me. So are you saying the jeeps part department has this harness available. Any help you can give would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 06-18-2017, 07:30 PM   #4

I bought mine online for about 120 easy install and everything works perfect. When you install on the passenger side there are two harnesses it can connect to you need the top one.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:31 PM   #5

Quote:
I bought mine online for about 120 easy install and everything works perfect. When you install on the passenger side there are two harnesses it can connect to you need the top one.

Hey one last favor could you supply
Old 06-18-2017, 07:32 PM   #6

Quote:

I was asking if you could supply the link
Old 06-18-2017, 07:32 PM   #7

https://www.officialwholesaleautopar...FYJmfgodhfcBgw
Old 06-18-2017, 07:35 PM   #8

Quote:

Impressive, thank you
Old 06-18-2017, 07:37 PM   #9

No problem, enjoy the Jeep.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:43 PM   #10

Adding the Toad

you don't need keys in it because the steering doesn't lock. You also don't have to disconnect the battery. Power port in the center console you can use for the supplemental break system, it has power all the time.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:52 PM   #11

Quote:
you don't need keys in it because the steering doesn't lock. You also don't have to disconnect the battery. Power port in the center console you can use for the supplemental break system, it has power all the time.

Be sure and crank your vehicle at the end of the day and charge the battery and also turn off the brake system. We didn't one night, I forgot it, next day had a brake error, dead battery. I put in supplemental 12 volt from the mh to the toad after that.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:55 PM   #12

Quote:

So, you don't have any power issues pulling the jeep with the Georgetown?
Old 06-18-2017, 08:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdavido View Post
So, you don't have any power issues pulling the jeep with the Georgetown?

Of course you do, you never tow something for nothing. The question is does the Georgetown have enough power to pull it efficiently and the answer is yes.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:03 PM   #14

We have a 2015 4 door Jeep Wrangler Sport with a 2015 Georgetown 351DS and we tow with a Blue Ox system and a supplemental break. I believe the Air Force One break and we have no problems Towing the jeep with the Georgetown.
sdowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #15

We have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (automatic trans) and tow it behind our 351DS. We use a Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain tow bar and a Brakemaster as the supplemental brake.

We picked the Roadmaster because I wanted a non-binding tow bar (plus they are local to our area, based in Vancouver, WA)

Just had it set up this spring, it's a piece of cake to hook and unhook. We've noticed about a 1 MPG degradation when towing the jeep.

My DH has been playing with the tow/haul mode this past trip, said it seemed to help quite a bit with hills and such. There was a thread about it maybe a week or 10 days ago I sent to him to read, you may want to look for it as well.

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Be sure and crank your vehicle at the end of the day and charge the battery and also turn off the brake system. We didn't one night, I forgot it, next day had a brake error, dead battery. I put in supplemental 12 volt from the mh to the toad after that.
When we got out Jeep, the 12 volt power supply in the console was only live with the ignition on. We determined that the fuse block under the hood has two adjoining fuse locations for that power supply. Merely pulling the fuse and placing it in the adjoining fuse slot made the console power supply powered without the ignition off. Jeep engineers have done an outstanding job of making this a nearly perfect toad.

Unlike some other toads, the Jeeps have a neutral position in the transfer case, the transmission is dormant-as is the odometer. But, that leaves the brake controller that draws power from the toad battery.We have learned from others on this forum to unplug the brake controller when not towing to conserve the battery power. We also added an RVibrake battery tender-extremely easy to install and we never had a dead battery, even though we didn't start the Jeep. The TV is wired to the 7-pin wiring harness with a wire that provides 12 volts to the toad only when the TV ignition is on. It is off when the TV ignition is off. This is a perfect setup for the RVibrake battery tender. No draw on the TV when parked and the toad battery is maintained at full charge when travelling. The Blue Ox 7-pin to 5-pin wire harness to the toad is wired for this application

We use a Blue Ox Aladdin BX4325 7,500 lb tow bar that has done an excellent job. Note, there was a former BX4325 that was all aluminum and had a 5,000 lb capacity-withing the limits of a 2-door Wrangler, but under capacity for the 4-door. The new version is partially aluminum with steel to the receiver hitch so it is a little easier to handle when connecting.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
When we got out Jeep, the 12 volt power supply in the console was only live with the ignition on. We determined that the fuse block under the hood has two adjoining fuse locations for that power supply. Merely pulling the fuse and placing it in the adjoining fuse slot made the console power supply powered without the ignition off. Jeep engineers have done an outstanding job of making this a nearly perfect toad.

Unlike some other toads, the Jeeps have a neutral position in the transfer case, the transmission is dormant-as is the odometer. But, that leaves the brake controller that draws power from the toad battery.We have learned from others on this forum to unplug the brake controller when not towing to conserve the battery power. We also added an RVibrake battery tender-extremely easy to install and we never had a dead battery, even though we didn't start the Jeep. The TV is wired to the 7-pin wiring harness with a wire that provides 12 volts to the toad only when the TV ignition is on. It is off when the TV ignition is off. This is a perfect setup for the RVibrake battery tender. No draw on the TV when parked and the toad battery is maintained at full charge when travelling. The Blue Ox 7-pin to 5-pin wire harness to the toad is wired for this application

We use a Blue Ox Aladdin BX4325 7,500 lb tow bar that has done an excellent job. Note, there was a former BX4325 that was all aluminum and had a 5,000 lb capacity-withing the limits of a 2-door Wrangler, but under capacity for the 4-door. The new version is partially aluminum with steel to the receiver hitch so it is a little easier to handle when connecting.

Guys are amazing in there and I'm negotiating the jeep deal right now. I have to met I'm excited and nervous.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdavido View Post
Guys are amazing in there and I'm negotiating the jeep deal right now. I have to met I'm excited and nervous.

What I meant to say was you guys are all amazing. The deal is done on the jeep. The next step will be getting all the towing stuff wrapped up. Excited and nervous.

Tags
toad