Old 06-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to carluv
adding water in coach batteries

Checked my 2 batteries today. One of the green monitors showed full but the other one barely registered. No idea what kind of batteries they are, but thy have little pop up handles on the top of the batteries. How do I put water in the low one? or is it a sealed unit? Have never seen one with a top like this. 2014 Georgetown 335

Old 06-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #2
CJM

If you could take a picture of the batteries in would help. . Battery age? It will most likely be a case of on battery fluid. If this is the only thing going on, top up with distilled water only.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:49 AM   #3

Took several pictures, but don't know how to get them to the forum.
Will work on that.

Its a 2014 Georgetown, so I assume the batteries are around that age. The problem I have is trying to figure out how to put water in the battery. Never seen a design like this.
Thanks CJM.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:17 AM   #4
CJM

If the caps are not readily accessible, then they may not be intended to be removed. If you can get some pictures loaded, it will tell a great deal about the situation. If they are not meant to be removed, then you have a "sealed" battery. . If a sealed battery is not performing up to par, you can try a desolate procedure, but most times the battery will need to be replaced
Old 06-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #5

Thanks CJM. Going to do a voltage check this evening and see what that shows. Seems to be working though.

More I look at the pictures I think it is sealed unit, however I will call my computer Tech later and find out how to post pictures.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:12 PM   #6

need pictures or part number off battery sticker. I am a battery distributor and know batteries!! Wet or flooded batteries you may or may not be able to add water. If it is AGM or GEL ( and people confuse the two and are totally different) you do not add anything !!!
Goog luck.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:42 PM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er

Look closely at the perimeter of the cap where the indicator eye is. Do you see a small slot where you could insert the tip of a screwdriver and pry the cap off gently? Most of the batteries with the "eye" that I've seen have a plastic extension on the cap that goes down into the water inside the battery. When they are submersed, they show green. When the level drops, they show black (no light). If you don't see the slot to pry up on, try to turn them and they'll most likely pop right out. Make sure you only use distilled water and do not overfill the cells.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #8

Newer unit means nothing. My year old used camper, bought from a CW dealer, had old, patched batteries that leaked and failed after 4 mos. Never go there again. I was lucky there was no fire.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:08 PM   #9

Usually group24 wet dual purpose batteries are the standard Georgetown battery from the dealer. These can be either factory sealed & valved wet cells that can't be watered which is a poor choice for the application...or they can be fillable wet cells.
Unlike a lot of batteries...most group 24s of this type have a "3 hole cover" instead of separate caps for each cell. You just need to get a thin flat screwdriver in under the cover and pry it off...then do it again for the other 3 cells. Should look something like this:

Note that the rest of the battery top may also be raised to make these covers look recessed. Still just pry them off.
Don't pry off or attempt to pry off anything that says maintenence free or sealed lead acid on the label!
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:12 PM   #10

Speaking of batteries, I saw a gent filling his batteries with a gallon jug and a funnel. I offered my filler but I think his pride got in the way. Amazon sells these and they make a messy job much neater. Cheers, Paul

Amazon.com: Plews 75-030 Auto Shut Off 2 Quart Capacity Plastic Battery Filler: Automotive

Tags
water, battery