Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #1

Addition of Banks Power to F53 Ford

I am contemplating adding a Banks Power system to my 337 XL.
There are several videos on U-tube by people who have done it and say it makes a big difference and adds over 15% HP. I drive a lot of miles pulling a pickup truck loaded with a bike through mountains and have to push the RV pretty hard sometimes. My GCWR is 26000 and I weigh in at 25400, so any increase in power would be welcome.
The Banks system adds high flow headers and exhaust and a larger capacity air intake and filter, but it is not cheap.
Does anyone have any experience with the system ?
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

I can almost guarantee that anyone who has spent the money on a Banks system is going to give positive reviews, and that it was worth it.

More horsepower? Who doesn’t want more...even just knowing it’s there.

Can’t change your mind and give it back.

The F53 V10 only gives out so much horsepower and torque in any model year. If that’s not enough, that why there’s diesel motorhomes.

JMHO.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:27 PM   #3

I have to agree with kenandterry. I have the same chassis and pull my car.
I have over 55,000 miles and have travelled lots of mountains and big hills.
Hate to say it but I usually cruise at 60-65 mph on most interstates except in California where my max speed is 55mph.

Anyway, I have a stock rig and have better spent my money on front and rear end stabilizers for better handling.
Like Ken said these V10 have lots of power and torque that should easily handle your rig and tow vehicle.

If you get the system what do you expect from it?
HP? Torque?
I think it will so minimal that you will not notice it.
Save the $3k -$4k and have a great trip and enjoy the trip by slowing down and not being in such a hurry.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:43 PM   #4

What they said.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:29 AM   #5

Google 5 star tune. I added this to my 2011 3170ds sunseeker great improvement in throttle response, smother shifting and maintaining speed. As with any engine mod or tune it opens up the possibility of ford denying warranty and they state this on their web site.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:36 AM   #6

I too researched the Banks system. It comes with there own tuning software. I have played with Mustangs for quite a while so I am familiar with different tuners and the performance improvements associated with a tune. I researched tuners for MH's and found 5 Star tuned our Ford V10. I have used 5 Star for my F150 and my Cobra. I just thought the entire Banks system was a little too much to pay considering I only paid $24,000 OTD for our 30k mile '04 Georgetown 370TS. I still wanted some performance improvements though. Ended up buying the Banks ram air intake system and an SCT X4 tuner from 5 Star with a custom tune for the intake system. 5 Star had a special for forum members (different forum) for $429 and I found the ram air system on Amazon for $280 shipped so total of $709. I have installed the air intake system and the tune but we don't go out camping again until 9-29. We will see how it does then.

For those that say the engine only puts out so much HP and a tune, etc. won't do anything really don't understand how the new motors can be re-tuned for nice power increases. I tuned my 2012 Mustang GT and gained over 30 HP at the rear wheels. I put it on a dyno before the tune, installed the tune, and then ran it on the dyno again. Over 30 HP. That was just a tune. If you add other modes, there is a bigger increase. An engine is just a big air pump. The more air you can get in and out, the more power you can make. With computer controlled motors now-a-days, this is easier than ever.

Good luck with your search for more power!
Old 09-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #7
2014 SunSeeker 2300

I have heard how good 5 Star is but I have not used them. Yet. I had a 2006 V10 that I got an Ultra Power performance tune from Brazel’s RV Performance. I was shocked at the difference between before and after. Like a previous commentator said, it is encredible what changing the tune in an engine will do. I am sure five star probably does this as well but Ultra Power not only changes the engine performance but also changes the torque converter, the transmission and hundreds of other settings on your vehicle and is matched to your specific rig. I was not at all disappointed. It’s been a few years but I think the HP gain was around 50 and torque around 40 but I’ve slept since then. Lol!
Old 09-23-2017, 01:21 PM   #8

Added 5 star tune to my 2015 leprechaun last year. Best $500 spent, especially going up hill in the mountains.you won't be disappointed.
Leprechauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #9

I have a different setup but may be worth the read for someone. I went the Banks system on my old diesel Cummins and did it in stages to see if I'd notice any 'seat of the pants' improvements.

1. Installed air box - sounded different but no noticeable improvement.
2. Installed exhaust - same as above.
3. Installed big turbo valve - same as above.
4. Installed six-gun computer - Big improvement. This is where all the gains happened and was worth it.

Note: Some guys may just install the computer but in a diesel it will cause extreme EGTs so you need the whole system to keep those temps down. I knew the parts as a whole make up the system, but I wanted to see what each piece would do.

I see what others are saying about the cost but for me I needed CA compliant parts to pass smog testing. My experience with the Banks parts and their support has been excellent and I will go back to them, they have a wide variety of aftermarket parts that are designed for tow vehicles and some are much more bullet-proof compared to the stock pieces. I have no interest or affiliation with Banks, just sayin...
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:47 AM   #10

Thanks for all of the great input. It sounds like more power is possible without all of the major cost and mechanics oc a whole system. I will research it.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:45 AM   #11

I followed the advice from members here and purchased a five star tuning device. It was easy to load. I have driven the RV once now with it and can notice a difference, particularly with the shifting points. It seems to kick into passing gear a lot less often. It cut off about 2 second on the zero to 60 acceleration time. I have not pulled a toad up a mountain yet but will in a few days. I am not sure how it compares to the Banks system, but it seems to add some power for a lot less money and nothing to install.
Thanks for the advice
Old 10-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #12
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
I followed the advice from members here and purchased a five star tuning device. It was easy to load. I have driven the RV once now with it and can notice a difference, particularly with the shifting points. It seems to kick into passing gear a lot less often. It cut off about 2 second on the zero to 60 acceleration time. I have not pulled a toad up a mountain yet but will in a few days. I am not sure how it compares to the Banks system, but it seems to add some power for a lot less money and nothing to install.
Thanks for the advice

You will love it.

Tags
ford, power