Old 05-09-2014, 01:33 AM   #31

I'm one of the folks that hasn't needed to mess with the chassis on our new GT 328.....so far anyway. Mine handles well on rough roads like I-10 and in the wind. I just look far down the road while driving so I'm not constantly over correcting on the steering. I haven't heard that the CHF will void warranty, but I did see a copy of a letter from Ford's engineering department, saying that they didn't recommend the adjustment because it will cause too much stress. To each his own, I guess, but Ford doesn't think its a good idea. If it's really a big advantage and harmless, why isn't this change made either at the Ford or MH factories? Ford knows what Forest River is going to do with the chassis they sell them......maybe not the exact model but generally.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagsdale View Post
I'm one of the folks that hasn't needed to mess with the chassis on our new GT 328.....so far anyway. Mine handles well on rough roads like I-10 and in the wind. I just look far down the road while driving so I'm not constantly over correcting on the steering. I haven't heard that the CHF will void warranty, but I did see a copy of a letter from Ford's engineering department, saying that they didn't recommend the adjustment because it will cause too much stress. To each his own, I guess, but Ford doesn't think its a good idea. If it's really a big advantage and harmless, why isn't this change made either at the Ford or MH factories? Ford knows what Forest River is going to do with the chassis they sell them......maybe not the exact model but generally.
Where did you see a copy of that letter? I'm sure it had an explanation as to where it would cause too much stress especially coming from engineering.

Why hasn't Ford deleted the inner hole? I'm sure it costs more to make a sway bar with extra holes than it does without it.

Why are some Ford dealers performing the CHF for customers?

Why are there aftermarket sway bars that do the same?

Why are there so many RVers having logged thousands of miles without a problem?

Why? Why? Why? LOL

Old 05-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #33

Lol. I tried to find that letter again last night. I think it's buried in that 150 page CHF thread on IRV2. I know I saw it, a couple of months ago. Dealers and Factory engineering departments may not talk all that much. If you want to do this to your rig, fine with me, and I hope it works out for you. I certainly wouldn't be pushing inexperienced MH drivers to start making a bunch of changes to their chassis until they have some experience. To each his own.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagsdale View Post
I certainly wouldn't be pushing inexperienced MH drivers
Where is my popcorn.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #35

Maybe I should explain what I mean by inexperienced drivers. The first time I drove a Class A was when I rented a Fleetwood Flair from El Monte RV. It was the 33V model, which is 34 feet long, and had the usual 362 HP Ford V10 Chassis. I was really nervous about driving this beast, and read all kinds of stuff on IRV2 and RV Net about driving. I also stumbled on the CHF threads (there are many, but the biggest I know of is the one I mentioned on IRV2, which has been going since about 2010). Anyway, one of the driving threads had a bunch of conflicting instructions. One idea was to use the middle bar in the windshield to help you stay in the middle of your lane....you were supposed to line that up with the lane line on the right side of the coach. I tried driving that way at first, and it was pure white knuckle. Really bad....I felt like the coach was wandering all over the place. Then I remembered another post on there, where the guy basically said nonsense to that idea. He said just look way down the lane, and your coach will follow you. He said that you won't get the white knuckle ride because you won't be over compensating with the steering wheel trying to keep lined up all the time. I tried it, and it worked. No more white knuckle ride for me after that. This includes driving next to trucks, on rough roads, and in wind. This one stuck in my mind probably due to my sportbike riding days....going around curves fast was scary, until a fellow biker told me to always look deep into the curve, and the bike will just follow you there. What a difference that made. So there's my two cents.....works for me.

Tags
sway