Old 04-25-2014, 07:23 AM   #1

Aftermarket sway bar

Does anyone have aftermarket sway bars installed? I mean like the ones that Camping World sells to help against wind gusts, etc. Do they work? Which brand is best? Do they void any factory warranty?

Old 04-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #2

Before getting new sway bars, have you tried moving the end links to the inner holes on the sway bar?

Old 04-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #3

No I haven't . I'll take a look. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #4

Go to irv2.com and under the Ford Chassis Forum do a search for CHF (Cheap Handling Fix). It's very easy and effective in reducing that dreaded sway. The only thing you could run into, like we did, is that the angle of the sway bar (front only) will change and the front tires will come of the ground a little sooner than you are used to. It's no big deal as far as safety goes, but having the wheels in contact with the ground helps stabilize the coach...at least in our 351 it does. In order to correct the angle you'll have to come up with longer links...usually 11" links. Ford doesn't have them available so you have two options. One, have a welder cut and extend them for you. Two, Hellwig makes adjustable links that can be modified to fit. I opted for option two and it has worked very well. However, you will have to use the Hellwig rubber bushings instead of the stock Ford ones. I noticed that they are a little bit softer and probably won't last as long.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #5

I have done the front cheap fix and added a blue ox sway to the rear. .. much better now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-25-2014, 11:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullenw View Post
I have done the front cheap fix and added a blue ox sway to the rear. .. much better now

Yup, those two are a "must have" as starters.

Our coach likes 92 psi all around.

Next is better shocks and I already have two front Konis. If I like them, the rears are next.

After that, it will be a steering dampener and last but not least air bags.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #7

I need to find a close truck shop. I done like messing with adding air. They prolly could advise on shocks and bags. ...hmm

Old 04-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #8

I installed the Blue Ox Tiger Trak and TruCenter for the front. It's GREAT! I wasn't comfortable doing the "cheap fix" because if anything happens (I realize it's unlikely) your warranty is gone and you may be liable. Ford isn't going to back anything if you've modified the chassis. There's been debate on other forums suggesting Ford may change their stance or endorse the change, but until it's in writing or they begin to ship out standard, I don't think it's worth the risk.

Just my 2 cents. I love the Blue Ox products and would suggest them to anyone looking. They have REALLY improved the handling.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #9

How hard was the truecenter device install? I know the rear trak bar was tough to get the initial bolts off.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdybldkris View Post
I installed the Blue Ox Tiger Trak and TruCenter for the front. It's GREAT! I wasn't comfortable doing the "cheap fix" because if anything happens (I realize it's unlikely) your warranty is gone and you may be liable. Ford isn't going to back anything if you've modified the chassis. There's been debate on other forums suggesting Ford may change their stance or endorse the change, but until it's in writing or they begin to ship out standard, I don't think it's worth the risk.

Just my 2 cents. I love the Blue Ox products and would suggest them to anyone looking. They have REALLY improved the handling.
IMO, you have modified the chassis by installing the Tiger Trak and TruCenter...it wasn't shipped out standard that way. Jus'sayin

Tags
sway