Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2014, 06:23 AM   #1

Aftermarket sway bar

Does anyone have aftermarket sway bars installed? I mean like the ones that Camping World sells to help against wind gusts, etc. Do they work? Which brand is best? Do they void any factory warranty?
tjvpga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:26 AM   #2

Before getting new sway bars, have you tried moving the end links to the inner holes on the sway bar?
Old 04-25-2014, 06:59 AM   #3

No I haven't . I'll take a look. Thanks.
tjvpga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:46 AM   #4

Go to irv2.com and under the Ford Chassis Forum do a search for CHF (Cheap Handling Fix). It's very easy and effective in reducing that dreaded sway. The only thing you could run into, like we did, is that the angle of the sway bar (front only) will change and the front tires will come of the ground a little sooner than you are used to. It's no big deal as far as safety goes, but having the wheels in contact with the ground helps stabilize the coach...at least in our 351 it does. In order to correct the angle you'll have to come up with longer links...usually 11" links. Ford doesn't have them available so you have two options. One, have a welder cut and extend them for you. Two, Hellwig makes adjustable links that can be modified to fit. I opted for option two and it has worked very well. However, you will have to use the Hellwig rubber bushings instead of the stock Ford ones. I noticed that they are a little bit softer and probably won't last as long.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #5

I have done the front cheap fix and added a blue ox sway to the rear. .. much better now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forest River Forums mobile app
fullenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullenw View Post
I have done the front cheap fix and added a blue ox sway to the rear. .. much better now

Yup, those two are a "must have" as starters.

Our coach likes 92 psi all around.

Next is better shocks and I already have two front Konis. If I like them, the rears are next.

After that, it will be a steering dampener and last but not least air bags.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #7

I need to find a close truck shop. I done like messing with adding air. They prolly could advise on shocks and bags. ...hmm

Old 04-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #8

I installed the Blue Ox Tiger Trak and TruCenter for the front. It's GREAT! I wasn't comfortable doing the "cheap fix" because if anything happens (I realize it's unlikely) your warranty is gone and you may be liable. Ford isn't going to back anything if you've modified the chassis. There's been debate on other forums suggesting Ford may change their stance or endorse the change, but until it's in writing or they begin to ship out standard, I don't think it's worth the risk.

Just my 2 cents. I love the Blue Ox products and would suggest them to anyone looking. They have REALLY improved the handling.
bdybldkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:46 AM   #9

How hard was the truecenter device install? I know the rear trak bar was tough to get the initial bolts off.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdybldkris View Post
I installed the Blue Ox Tiger Trak and TruCenter for the front. It's GREAT! I wasn't comfortable doing the "cheap fix" because if anything happens (I realize it's unlikely) your warranty is gone and you may be liable. Ford isn't going to back anything if you've modified the chassis. There's been debate on other forums suggesting Ford may change their stance or endorse the change, but until it's in writing or they begin to ship out standard, I don't think it's worth the risk.

Just my 2 cents. I love the Blue Ox products and would suggest them to anyone looking. They have REALLY improved the handling.
IMO, you have modified the chassis by installing the Tiger Trak and TruCenter...it wasn't shipped out standard that way. Jus'sayin
Old 04-30-2014, 07:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullenw View Post
I need to find a close truck shop. I done like messing with adding air. They prolly could advise on shocks and bags. ...hmm

What PSI is listed on the decal inside the coach? I'd try that along with the CHF if you haven't done it. It sounds like you did the Tiger Trak so you should be close to happy happy happy.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:16 AM   #12

Quote:

-1 here, this IS bad info.
“I wasn't comfortable doing the "cheap fix" because if anything happens (I realize it's unlikely) your warranty is gone and you may be liable. Ford isn't going to back anything if you've modified the chassis.”

The CHF WILL NOT void any part of your warranty.
Somewhere in the vast amount of online CHF info someone has posted a letter from a Ford engineer stating that the optional holes in the sway bar are there because Ford does not know what the chassis will be carrying.

The mechanic where we had the transmission recall preformed even said he has done SEVERAL CHF’s.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjb View Post
-1 here, this IS bad info.
“I wasn't comfortable doing the "cheap fix" because if anything happens (I realize it's unlikely) your warranty is gone and you may be liable. Ford isn't going to back anything if you've modified the chassis.”

The CHF WILL NOT void any part of your warranty.
Somewhere in the vast amount of online CHF info someone has posted a letter from a Ford engineer stating that the optional holes in the sway bar are there because Ford does not know what the chassis will be carrying.

The mechanic where we had the transmission recall preformed even said he has done SEVERAL CHF’s.
+1 Well said.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #14

You guys may be right. It may not void the warranty and if there were injuries the parties may or may not try to sue. Good luck referring to forums for your defense. The Blue Ox parts are designed for a specific reason and that company would become liable if they deemed the sway bar, etc was responsible. Changing the sway bar installation via the CHF is a bit different and you'd be on your own trying to defend it.

Do whatever you're comfortable with...
Old 05-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #15

Quote:
You guys may be right. It may not void the warranty and if there were injuries the parties may or may not try to sue. Good luck referring to forums for your defense. The Blue Ox parts are designed for a specific reason and that company would become liable if they deemed the sway bar, etc was responsible. Changing the sway bar installation via the CHF is a bit different and you'd be on your own trying to defend it.

“Next is better shocks and I already have two front Konis. If I like them, the rears are next.
After that, it will be a steering dampener and last but not least air bags.”

Note to alparmer: bdybldkris says you’ll be opening yourself to ALL KINDS of litigation problems if you do any of the above!

"I installed the Blue Ox Tiger Trak and TruCenter for the front.
It's GREAT! I wasn't comfortable doing the "cheap fix" because if anything happens (I realize it's unlikely) your warranty is gone and you may be liable.
Ford isn't going to back anything if you've modified the chassis."

Question for bdybldkris: If I use aftermarket fluids, filters, brake pads, brake rotors, shocks, belts, wiper blades, light bulbs, etc, etc will I be sued if I have (cause) a wreck and they find out about the above will they be able to sue me?
Old 05-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #16

Quote:
“Next is better shocks and I already have two front Konis. If I like them, the rears are next.

Note to alparmer: bdybldkris says you’ll be opening yourself to ALL KINDS of litigation problems if you do any of the above!

It's GREAT! I wasn't comfortable doing the "cheap fix" because if anything happens (I realize it's unlikely) your warranty is gone and you may be liable.

Question for bdybldkris: If I use aftermarket fluids, filters, brake pads, brake rotors, shocks, belts, wiper blades, light bulbs, etc, etc will I be sued if I have (cause) a wreck and they find out about the above will they be able to sue me?
Yes, because people can sue for anything these days. However, what you list are items specifically made for the application and therefore shouldn't be an issue. Any other questions? I was just trying to be helpful to the OP. You're just being childish. There is a difference between installing a piece of equipment that's designed and sold for a specific application and modifying an existing piece of equipment at home because you read it on a forum. I honestly could care less what you do. Like I said before, do whatever you are comfortable doing.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #17

Quote:

I could understand your statement if we were drilling holes on the sway bar to make it tighter. Truth is, the holes are already there to modify it according to what's going on top of the frame. To each his own, I'm definitely enjoying my CHF
Old 05-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #18

Quote:

LOL. I wonder how many RVs are out on the road with overloaded axles, wrong tire pressures, never have changed the brake fluid, etc. That is more of a problem than tweaking your tweakable sway bar. Now I'm probably going to get sued because of the Konis too...oh wait, I'll just blame Koni Inc. and they will be responsible.

If anything the rear trak bar is more of a litigation issue since you are not allowing the frame to have the sway it was designed to have by Ford. We can keep going on and on about this, but IMO, the CHF is a no brainer.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #19

"There is a difference between installing a piece of equipment that's designed and sold for a specific application and modifying an existing piece of equipment at home because you read it on a forum".
The way I read this is that the sway bar isn't a Ford part, and we're making unsafe modification, not just making an adjustment.

If we use the above logic and the jacks lift the front wheels off the ground

(every time, which is the way ours was delivered)

then we can’t adjust the level point.

Edit: I need to practice taking pictures, this site is slightly unlevel, higher in the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0267.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	51379  
Old 05-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #20

Quote:
If we use the above logic and the jacks lift the front wheels off the ground

(every time, which is the way ours was delivered)

then we can’t adjust the level point.
Not sure I follow you.

Tags
sway