Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2012, 07:41 PM   #1

Alaska Anyone?

I post here because I am driving to Alaska in June 2013, and wanted any info anyone has, that have made the trip. I will be leaving SC and Most likely will enter Canada from N. Dakota and head through Canada to Anchorage. Any input is appreciated, particularly road conditions and what the weather is like in June / July. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #2

Use the search feature and check out the blog titled "Iowa to Alaska with our A128". We followed the author's adventure this past summer and it was incredible.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #3

We do Alaska every year. Some places to look are RV.Net where there is a section devoted to Canada and Alaska near the bottom. The Escapees discussion forum also has an annual Alaska thread, but some years it is in Travel and some years elsewhere. Just be aware that it can snow at anytime along the Canadian Rockies in Alberta and BC, which is sort of where you need to go to get to Alaska. June is usually pretty safe. A couple things you might consider either coming or going. South Dakota has Mt Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monument still in progress. There is a fantastic museum in Cody, WY. Yellowstone is open all year. Glacier will usually have the Going to the Sun hwy closed until July by snow. Another route is go one exit west of Missoula to Hwy 93 and take it north. You will get to Banff, and Lake Louise if you go east a bit. You can continue North on the Icefields Parkway to Jasper. In June there will still be some snow higher up, but clear roads. Head east out of Jasper toward Hinton, then north to Grande Cache and Grand Prairie, then NW to Dawson Creek. When you get to Tok, check the weather in Valdez. If it looks good, go to Valdez. If poor, head for Fairbanks. Alaska is a circle tour. So if Fairbanks, then south to Denali, Talkeetna if you want, Anchorage, Seward, Homer, Anchorage, Valdez, Tok. On the way home hang a right on the Cassiar just before you get to Watson Lake. Check your fuel, and get it where it is available, and it will be over $6/gallon. You come out on the Yellowhead Hwy. West is Prince Rupert, East is Prince George and Jasper. If you have a smart phone, either turn it off or disable the data feature before you get to Canada. Most campgrounds have WiFi, so we use email to communicate. Your cell phone carrier may have a plan for Canada, but it likely does not include data and also likely does not have service north of Ft St John. Data in Canada is reported to very $pendy. Depending on a lot of things, you may encounter temperatures near freezing or into the 90's. Expect rain. Expect a lot of your trip to be in the mid 50's to mid 60's. Enjoy the trip. Terry
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #4

If you haven't already, get a current copy of the Alaska Milepost guidebook.

The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner

Post your adventures if you can.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #5

We did the trip in 2010, left from Winnipeg 3rd week of May, weather was excellent whole time, avg temps +/_ (20C) (68F) and getting warmer. Like the previous post get a current copy of the milepost. Entering Canada at Pembina / Emerson I 29 is a good choice as it is a 24 hr. crossing although weekends can be busy. From Winnipeg you can go west and connect with the yellowhead hwy (16). which is 2 lane but very good road to Edmonton and then west and north again to Dawson Creek which of course is mile 0 of the Alaska Hwy. There is ample camping, shopping and fuel along the whole route, not to mention some of the most awesome scenery you will see! If you have specific questions about the route from here on up feel free to ask and I will try to answer. Happy New Year and have a great trip.