Old 08-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #21

I spent many years doing front end work and alignment and what you are getting is a bunch of BS. Take it somewhere else and BTW get your money back because you paid for a full alignment and didn't get it.

2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #22
On the road again...

This blog is great. Agree with all on calling BS but I really liked pashooter's(#20) effort to go to Ford. You can get a lot of info from a TSB even if it is 17 years old. I'm sure there have been tweaks to the F53 so getting the latest dope on this subject would be the right thing to do. If I was the alignment shop I would be ashamed and embarrassed to be so lame.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:20 PM   #23

I was once told that when the chassie arrive at FR the steering wheel is removed to sit the house on the frame. Once the frame is installed the steering wheel is re installed. Sometime obviously they re-install it not straight and then finish building the house. Making it almost impossible to remove, re instal the steering wheel. 2 Ford dealers told me that. Right or wrong don't know.

Denis, Forest river Georgetown XL 377 2015, towing a 2014 Ford Explorer XL
Old 08-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #24

Pashooter is correct, I own the F53 master shop manual and it is a 40 spline shaft. The manual does state remove the nut and re-index the steering wheel to the desired position , re torque the nut and you are good to go
Old 08-02-2016, 04:40 PM   #25

I had my 2011 Georgetown aligned by the shop that FR uses for alignment work. When I questioned them about the steering wheel position, they removed the steering wheel then discovered that it's keyed and can't be adjusted by reseating it.

I have no idea what Ford has done in the more recent chassis that used as a base for FR's motor homes.

Phil
Old 08-02-2016, 04:51 PM   #26
On the road again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesville View Post
Pashooter is correct, I own the F53 master shop manual and it is a 40 spline shaft. The manual does state remove the nut and re-index the steering wheel to the desired position , re torque the nut and you are good to go
What years would your shop manual cover? I know they changed stuff in the early 2000"s but that's about it except for small stuff. I know I like the stock front Ford sway bar on my 2015, for instance. The TSB talked about a centering mechanism in the box itself so I can see where that would need to be addressed before you did any other tweaking. So, if your manual is inclusive of the late models it looks like ol' Pashooter has the straight stuff. Good to know as I continue to improve the driveability of my rig.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:02 PM   #27

Yes the manual is 2006 so they may have changed
Old 08-02-2016, 05:21 PM   #28

Just talk to a truck front end mechanic. I know a good one if you need to speak to one... I will hook you up. Just PM me.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #29

Just so y'all know... I realize the link i posted is 17 years old (it's what a quick Google search yielded) so it's entirely possible a design change has been made and this is no longer how they're made. If that's the case any good truck shop should know what the current procedure is. There has to be a Ford approved method to assure the steering wheel is aligned properly.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:30 PM   #30

Steering wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouownbeer View Post
Went get my alignment done. 1800 miles. Shop told me in order for the alignment to be in spec the steering wheel couldn't be straight. There is no adjustment for just the steering wheel like a car. My steering wheel is at about 10 o'clock going straight. Any one have experience in this. They told me to call manufacture or dealer to see how to straighten steering wheel. Btw it wasn't straight before the alignment but it was about 11 o'clock so wasn't far off.
Found some one had my answer further down post. Secure wheel straight ahead, adjusr tie rod adjusters till wheels point in right direction. I operated an alignment shop for years and have done many string and ruler alignments at track. Not hard to do.

Tags
alignment, wheel