Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2016, 04:56 PM   #1

Alignment shop said there is no adjustment for steering wheel.

Went get my alignment done. 1800 miles. Shop told me in order for the alignment to be in spec the steering wheel couldn't be straight. There is no adjustment for just the steering wheel like a car. My steering wheel is at about 10 o'clock going straight. Any one have experience in this. They told me to call manufacture or dealer to see how to straighten steering wheel. Btw it wasn't straight before the alignment but it was about 11 o'clock so wasn't far off.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:32 PM   #2

I am no front end mechanic.... But I am calling BS. Find another shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouownbeer View Post
Went get my alignment done. 1800 miles. Shop told me in order for the alignment to be in spec the steering wheel couldn't be straight. There is no adjustment for just the steering wheel like a car. My steering wheel is at about 10 o'clock going straight. Any one have experience in this. They told me to call manufacture or dealer to see how to straighten steering wheel. Btw it wasn't straight before the alignment but it was about 11 o'clock so wasn't far off.
I don't know if the steering wheel can be straighten or not. It seems logical to me that it can, but then again, what do I know?

I call BS on them telling YOU to call the manufacture or dealer. I am not sure how that would have played out if it were me.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:06 PM   #4

Well, perhaps it is true and perhaps not. On a rack and pinion car system there is no adjustment for wheel position either, however you can easily re-center the wheel by dialing in both sides in the same direction to compensate.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:09 PM   #5

X3 on the BS. They're supposed to lock the steering wheel straight then bring the tires/wheels to straight via tie rod & sleeve adjustment at the pitman arm (that's the arm that's attached to the steering box). X2 on find a more reputable shop!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Obviously there is an adjustment otherwise every E450 that comes from the factory would be crooked. I guess the last ditch adjustment if all else fails though is to remove the steering wheel and reinstall it.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Obviously there is an adjustment otherwise every E450 that comes from the factory would be crooked. I guess the last ditch adjustment if all else fails though is to remove the steering wheel and reinstall it.

Most steering column/shafts have a flat spot or uneven splined so the steering wheel will only fit in one position.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:45 PM   #8

After my alignment they didn't know how to straiten it so I brought it home and behind the front left tire the steering shaft attaches to the steering box with a spline. I took out the bolt and turned it so that it was strait and put the bolt back in. 5-10 min. Job
Ogunfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Most steering column/shafts have a flat spot or uneven splined so the steering wheel will only fit in one position.
Why must designers make everything difficult these days? I had no problem with my 70s steering wheels LOL!!
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogunfarm View Post
After my alignment they didn't know how to straiten it so I brought it home and behind the front left tire the steering shaft attaches to the steering box with a spline. I took out the bolt and turned it so that it was strait and put the bolt back in. 5-10 min. Job
Thanks what chassis you have?
Old 08-01-2016, 09:45 PM   #11

i would not be pulling any bolts on the steering if you are not sure whats going on?
Old 08-02-2016, 06:51 AM   #12

There is no spline shaft on the steering wheel like most cars.

However, As mentioned by Oganfarm, the control arm is splined where it connents to the steering gear box. This arm can be removed and re-positioned just like you would a steering wheel shaft on a car.

You can see the arm (item #9) on this lube chart.

http://2001mirada.com/DOWNLOAD/f-53lubepoints.jpg
Old 08-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #13

I'm no mechanic either but on my 2000 Allegro with the older F53 chassis I had an alignment done on it. The shop told me since Ford has a solid axle the only way to get a "true" alignment was to bend the axle. This is a well known Ford procedure going back to their Twin I Beam suspension they touted on their pick-up commercials. I mentioned to the shop that the steering was off too and I was told if that's all I want done they could center it quickly for not much money. I elected to have the full alignment done at a cost of $504. Holy crap what a difference it made in the ride and handling of my rig. No typical Ford wander and loosey goosey vague feeling. Straight and tight feeling.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
X3 on the BS. They're supposed to lock the steering wheel straight then bring the tires/wheels to straight via tie rod & sleeve adjustment at the pitman arm (that's the arm that's attached to the steering box). X2 on find a more reputable shop!
I have done a lot of alignments in my days as a auto mech and that is exactly how you set the steering wheel.. You set the toe with tie rods with steering wheel locked strait ahead
Old 08-02-2016, 10:56 AM   #15

This is a truck setup not a car. Set the toe with the tie rod tube. Then if steering wheel is off you pull the steering wheel and center it there. Pulling the pitman arm off the gearbox will not give you the same turning radius in both directions. If you look close the output shaft of the gearbox has a mark that the postman arm lines up too. Also bending the axle only adjust camber, not toe, not caster. Caster is adjusted by shims between the axle and spring. If the shop tells you they can't center the wheel go to another shop, the shop you are using are not familiar with a light truck.
clutchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:59 AM   #16

I too had the same issue before front end alignment. Our mechanic not only corrected the toe in/out and camber but the proceeded to correct the caster. That is what brought the steering wheel straight. The steering wheel was at 10 o'clock but now it is straight as an arrow. My rig now drives straight down the road with just a slight right pull.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #17

I will add many steering wheels have a blind spline so it cant be repositioned plus that will put the steering box off center.. Bottom line the shop did not know what they were doing
Old 08-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Take it to ford, I had a Georgetown an they fix it, not exactly perfect but very very close, I used ford in Seffner Fl.
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:16 PM   #19

The Ford F53 steering wheel is splined and can be straightened by removing the cover and the bolt holding the wheel on, and repositioning the wheel. It's part of the front end alignment process. At least according to this.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q59.PDF

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2019: 76
pashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:31 PM   #20

X4 or 5 or 6

BBBBBBSSSSS. Find a wheel alignment shop that uses a real mechanic. Centering the steering wheel is a simple process. May take a bit of time but simple nonetheless.
Strigflag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, wheel