Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #1

Allegro vs Georgetown

I have found an 2002 Allegro Bay Tiffin DB36 with 22,000 mi for $34,200 vs a 2004 Georgetown XL M-370TS with 38,000 mi $30,500. Any advise which one I should purchase? Pros and Cons? Thanks.
mjbjtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #2

I believe that the Allegro Bay is a diesel (most of them are) that is why it cost a little more then the Georgetown. I have a GT and love it.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #3

It's a gasoline. I have read some Tiffin vs Georgetown reviews and some say that the Georgetown is an entry level unit and comparing the two is like a Vespa vs a Harley? I'm confused! I think the Georgetown is a much nicer looking unit on the inside.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #4

Love my GT, had a 2000 Allegro, but 16,000 less miles I'd go with the Allegro providing you could live with the interior. Tiffin is a higher end name plate than Georgetown and if you look you will see the difference. Try to get the Allegro seller to drop $$$ by 2k showing him the GT you may buy.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #5

It's a dealership and they won't budge.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
Tinkerer and Putterer

Yes the Tiffin has a reputation for better quality but at that price point and age I would be looking at the maint. records over the name plate. I would also choose the floor plan that works better for you over the name plate. Are the tires original? If so they will likely need to be replaced due to dry rot even if they still have tread. Has the roof been maintained? Are there service records at all? Any rust on the undercarriage? What is the state of the plumbing? Are there slideouts? What has been done to maintain them? Any missing teeth on the gears? What is the state of the tracks? What about the slideout seals? Do all the appliances work? What about the generator? Does it run? Does it stay running when put under sudden load (E.G. start the GC and then turn on the AC)?
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #7

Both of these coaches are fairly old so the real decision should be based on condition of all systems. Buying new an Allegro would be rated a bit higher than a Georgetown, but Tiffin, like most manufacturers, has had its share of issues too. And you won't be getting any free help from the factory if you discover problems after the sale. Don't know if the dealer will give any warranty on coaches that are 10+ years old so look them over VERY carefully. I'd ask for some kind of warranty protection from the dealer, even if its for a relatively short time, and then use it right away to see if any problems occur. Odds are the drive train will be good if it was serviced properly, but the coach and all its systems are often where some costly issues can occur.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #8

VESPA VS HARLEY? Had both over 55 yrs of riding. i'd ride a Vespa for reliability and low cost of insurance and upkeep. But, as a biker vet, i would not be caught dead on a Vespa! Point: please do not try to compare. Not even in jest!! One is transportation, Harley is a lifestyle 😁
Tiffin makes excellent coaches, period. However, even their FRED model makes a lot of chatter in the driving cabin!!
Buy what makes you happy and live like today is your last! You can always
trade. Travel as far as you can and see as much as you choose! Life is in the choosing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:46 PM   #9

Thanks for all the input. I got the dealership to drop off 2k, so I have decided on the Tiffin. The lower mileage and the NADA price comparisons convinced me.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:22 PM   #10

Allegro all the way
Fourn3833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #11

You should call Tiffin with the serial number. They can tell you if any major or minor work was done on that coach. Not sure if that model is affected by the big three problems of Tiffin coaches.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:21 AM   #12

2004 Georgetown vs 2002 Allegro

I have to make a decision in a couple of days on either a 2004 Georgetown M-370 with 37k mi for 30.5k or a 2002 Allegro 36DB with 27k mi for 32.0k. My wife much prefers the interior of the Georgetown. Should that be my ultimate decision maker on these 2?
Old 01-04-2015, 06:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbjtb View Post
I have to make a decision in a couple of days on either a 2004 Georgetown M-370 with 37k mi for 30.5k or a 2002 Allegro 36DB with 27k mi for 32.0k. My wife much prefers the interior of the Georgetown. Should that be my ultimate decision maker on these 2?
When we went looking for our coach I was pretty much just along for the finance part.
I would say your decision has been made.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #14

Same here, my dollars and her floor plan.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:47 PM   #15

Until you need to get the Allegro Repaired.....then have fun.

Did you know that Forest River provides FREE Maintenance on all of their RVs once per year at the Forest River Owner's Group Rally? (Ok, not totally free you pay $395 for the rally but that covers 2 people, 6 nights camping, daily breakfasts & suppers (one of which is a prime rib meal!) and daily Ice Cream socials, plant tours, seminars, and a RV vendor area with show discounts) Oh yeah, daily door prizes too - last year we won a custom installed sewer hose system from Lippert - that would have cost @ $400.

Last year they repaired our steps that I had damaged! That was a $375.00 part + 1 hour of labor @ $75.00. Then they started LOOKING for things to fix on our rig (They upgraded our refer fan - that's another $250 or so parts/labor, crawled up on our roof and put roof treatment on plus calked the roof AND all our seams on the unit (have no clue what that would cost but usually takes me a day to do.) It was a 700 mile one way trip even so I feel we came out ahead even when you factor in the fuel and overnights getting to Goshen (the fact that we went over to MI and visited with my wife's parents post-rally won me a few brownie points to boot )

I would never ever consider any other brand than Forest River. They are just that good to their customers! We will be returning to Goshen and the F.R.O.G. Rally again this year (15-19 Aug): here's a link to last year's rally FYI http://www.forestriverfrog.com/InternationalRally/
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:22 PM   #16

We had pretty much the same experience. Couldn't believe how good they were to us. Fixed everything I could think of, and asked again to be sure I hadn't forgotten anything! Don't know how they do it, but they do! No one could stand behind their product better than Forest River.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:07 PM   #17

Setting aside the Forest River hype, look closely at the construction of the two…the quality of the Tiffin is superior.
I have purchased three Forest River products over the past three years and still have a Trilogy fifth wheel. I recently bought a Class C and Forest River didn’t make the first cut. What an education, I had no idea that there really is that big of a difference in the quality between manufactures.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbjtb View Post
On the 30th you posted that you had decided on the Tiffin..! What happened? You have not told us what chassis is under either one. I'm bettin' the G'town is a Ford,(The best.!) and the Tiffin a GM (Ugh.!). We love our G'town but I have never heard anyone complain of Tiffin's customer service, even with older units. They will repair at the plant, by appointment, with an on site campground for their customer's convenience. Take an old bed sheet to lay on and crawl around under both of 'em. Look for RUST.! Look for ROT.! Lots of wood used in both. Good luck..!!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #19

I just saw a new 2015 Georgetown 35ds. It has the same floor plan as many other brands including the Tiffin. I was wondering what kind of fuel economy I could expect. Dealers say 9 to 10 mpg. I am skeptical. This gasser will pull up to 5k and I plan to tow a small Ford eco box.

2015 Rockwood 2703WS
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwoodjoe View Post
I just saw a new 2015 Georgetown 35ds. It has the same floor plan as many other brands including the Tiffin. I was wondering what kind of fuel economy I could expect. Dealers say 9 to 10 mpg. I am skeptical. This gasser will pull up to 5k and I plan to tow a small Ford eco box.

2015 Rockwood 2703WS
I have seen a smidge over 9MPG one time in our GT350. Loaded lightly, towing nothing, traveling level country.!! With a toad and some hills you're gonna see 7 at best. Still very good bottom line costs considering the difference between the cost of diesel and gas at the pump right now..! Your oil changes on the Ford 6.8 V10 will be 7 qts of oil and a $3.79 filter from Walmart. I'm saying all this cuz people will always say "Get a diesel, gets way better mileage." Just so much more to consider than MPG. Most diesel pushers will sitting on air ride suspension, a definite plus and IMHO the only reason to purchase a DP. Every city in the US has a Ford dealer (well almost!). Caterpillar, Cummins and Detroit Diesel....not so much..!! Anyway, don't let the salesperson hype the MPG. I doubt you will ever see 10MPG..ever..!

Tags
georgetown