Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutmeg View Post
Question, have an automatic switch that acts up after it has been on for a while. Debating doing away with it and just using an outlet. What would be an advantage to replacing with an auto transfer switch?
Biggest is makes rig more self contaned. Ever pull over, start gen and have lunch, never leave coach (in rain)? Sometimes contacts need cleaning or action needs cleaning or lubrication to prevent chattering/humming in operation.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #12

The plug on my 50 amp cord is either plugged into shore power or outlet in bay . What could be simpler or more reliable.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypal View Post
The plug on my 50 amp cord is either plugged into shore power or outlet in bay . What could be simpler or more reliable.
Thats my thoughts. Nothing to stop working, plug end protected. Just have to remember to plug it in. Have always had one and could not see the real need. Just do not want to do the change and then get the "never thought of that" moment!
Old 10-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #14

The only time you would need the transfer switch is if you were pluged into shore power and it went out. It would save you the trip to the side to move the plug.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #15

Simple point if I may, I have the switch, but Gen power does not come thru for almost a min, after Gen is fired and shore power is disconnected. Did you wait to see, the microwave is be way to tell, black, no lights , then in min or less, all 000s flash and then full power. Like I said just a point.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by copsuno
Simple point if I may, I have the switch, but Gen power does not come thru for almost a min, after Gen is fired and shore power is disconnected. Did you wait to see, the microwave is be way to tell, black, no lights , then in min or less, all 000s flash and then full power. Like I said just a point.
The generator has a delay before it takes a load. I have to do that manually in my shop. I can't start my portably with a load attached. I wait until the RPMs are up and the plug it in. Motor home generator does that automatically.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote