Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #1

Am I Missing Something?

Just back from a great seven day trip to Cedar Creek C.O.E. in Mt. Juliet, TN, 17 miles outside of Nashville (a blast!). On trip down, stayed in a rest stop to get some sleep, tried generator using the dash start button in AM to make coffee and had no AC power. Didn't think of checking the two breakers on the genny until at the CG later in day. Ok, so now I'm sure breaker are on, on return trip, same deal, try to use the genny, starts quick but no AC power. Am I missing something? Does the shore power cord have to be plugged into the 50amp outlet in the power bay for AC power in the coach? I thought thats what the auto transfer switch is all about. On my 2000 Allegro, I just hit the dash switch and had AC power as soon as the gen set started. Put a call into the dealer and have not yet received a return so figured I'd ask you guys, Thanks!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #2

Yes. Check your transfer switch. It is not sensing power from the Gen and switching over. May just be the control circuit but check all wire connections in the box. May be the coil is open and no longer works.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #3

Instead of just throwing the end of your power cord into the bay just plug it in .It always works well that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	20612  
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Just back from a great seven day trip to Cedar Creek C.O.E. in Mt. Juliet, TN, 17 miles outside of Nashville (a blast!). On trip down, stayed in a rest stop to get some sleep, tried generator using the dash start button in AM to make coffee and had no AC power. Didn't think of checking the two breakers on the genny until at the CG later in day. Ok, so now I'm sure breaker are on, on return trip, same deal, try to use the genny, starts quick but no AC power. Am I missing something? Does the shore power cord have to be plugged into the 50amp outlet in the power bay for AC power in the coach? I thought thats what the auto transfer switch is all about. On my 2000 Allegro, I just hit the dash switch and had AC power as soon as the gen set started. Put a call into the dealer and have not yet received a return so figured I'd ask you guys, Thanks!
You don't have a transfer switch as it sounds, as though it was an option for that coach and well as later years. If you have an outlet, you are the transfer switch. Some coaches the dealer opted that feature as a sales tool, I've had it both ways, both have advantages.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #5

no xfer switch on my gtown and reading some of the issues i see on s.o.b. i really dont think i need it when i unplug the shore power my bay is allready open so for me part of my way of storing the cord is just plugging it in.
i have stay at several COE parks in tn no better deal any where for 10 bux a night
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #6

Thanks for the response guys! To my surprise I do not have a transfer switch on my GT. As VinceU said, I am the transfer switch. Went out and plugged it into the bay outlet, made sure breakers were on and lo and behold, AC power in the coach. Looked at 2012 & 2013 GT's which all had the option at like $224 for the transfer switch and just thought my 2011 had it too.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #7

Ok I'm confused. I have 2013 and when I run the genny I get ac and heat. Does that mean I have the transfer switch?
SemperFi3088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi3088
Ok I'm confused. I have 2013 and when I run the genny I get ac and heat. Does that mean I have the transfer switch?
When you put your power cord away do you plug it into an outlet inside your storage compartment on the motorhome? If you do then no you don't have a transfer switch. If the cord doesn't plug into an outlet and everything works when you run the genny then you do have a transfer switch.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #9

I do not plug it in. Thanks for the clarification
SemperFi3088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #10

Question, have an automatic switch that acts up after it has been on for a while. Debating doing away with it and just using an outlet. What would be an advantage to replacing with an auto transfer switch?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutmeg View Post
Question, have an automatic switch that acts up after it has been on for a while. Debating doing away with it and just using an outlet. What would be an advantage to replacing with an auto transfer switch?
Biggest is makes rig more self contaned. Ever pull over, start gen and have lunch, never leave coach (in rain)? Sometimes contacts need cleaning or action needs cleaning or lubrication to prevent chattering/humming in operation.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #12

The plug on my 50 amp cord is either plugged into shore power or outlet in bay . What could be simpler or more reliable.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypal View Post
The plug on my 50 amp cord is either plugged into shore power or outlet in bay . What could be simpler or more reliable.
Thats my thoughts. Nothing to stop working, plug end protected. Just have to remember to plug it in. Have always had one and could not see the real need. Just do not want to do the change and then get the "never thought of that" moment!
Old 10-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #14

The only time you would need the transfer switch is if you were pluged into shore power and it went out. It would save you the trip to the side to move the plug.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #15

Simple point if I may, I have the switch, but Gen power does not come thru for almost a min, after Gen is fired and shore power is disconnected. Did you wait to see, the microwave is be way to tell, black, no lights , then in min or less, all 000s flash and then full power. Like I said just a point.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by copsuno
Simple point if I may, I have the switch, but Gen power does not come thru for almost a min, after Gen is fired and shore power is disconnected. Did you wait to see, the microwave is be way to tell, black, no lights , then in min or less, all 000s flash and then full power. Like I said just a point.
The generator has a delay before it takes a load. I have to do that manually in my shop. I can't start my portably with a load attached. I wait until the RPMs are up and the plug it in. Motor home generator does that automatically.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote