Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #1

Amount of Slider Play

Only had one more serious slider miss-alignment issue where I had to sit on my butt and kick one end to get it to keep up.

Have a general question though. Do your sliders always go in/out parrallel or is it common for one end of the two ram sliders to get 2-4 inches ahead/behind the other and then level out when in the fully in/out position?

Today had one lag 3-4 inches, did correct when it hit the out position though. Just trying to figure out if this is normal or part of my ongoing problem.....

Busy day, made two additional hemlock shelves for the bathroom over-sink cabinet,a built-in plywood sorage box in the rear passthru for my tow bar, bevelled pressure treated planks with a key system to lock in my lynx levellers, a custom plastic sewer hose tub to exactly fit one of my storage bins and some angle molding to back reinforce some of the mickey mouse surface mounted moldings in the pots/pans cupboard and the linens/cleaning supply cupboard in the bathroom. Next up swapping out the halogens for LEDs and installing the Cradlepoint Router and remote antennas....so much to do so little time Only four more weeks until the house closing date and I loose my shop and tools.
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I think your slides are hydraulic. Therefore I'll give you a short lesson on hydraulics. Two rams, one pump. The pump builds "x" pressure and sends down a hose, the pressure gets to one of the rams, and travels on to the other. On paper, this looks good. In the real world, there are pressure differences due to hose length, number of fittings and elbows, etc. If one ram is easier to move with "x" pressure, that will be the one moving, until the slide gets in a slight bind, then pressure will build in the ram, and across the system, causing pressure to build in the other ram, causing it to move. They will equal out at the end of travel, both in and out, as one hits the stop, then the other. I've seen them twist, and almost walk in sometimes. Nothing to be concerned about, as long as they travel the full distance each way.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #3

[QUOTE=SinkorSwim;165738] and some angle molding to back reinforce some of the mickey mouse surface mounted moldings in the pots/pans cupboard and the linens/cleaning supply cupboard in the bathroom. QUOTE]

Yup, I'll agree that the shelves in our Rockwood are woefully inadequate. Had two of them fail last summer so my DH will be busy before camping season reinforcing all of the shelves.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
Tim & Lisa Trempert

I had the shop inspect mine as it also "wobbles" back and forth as it comes in. It is normal as the hydraulics move the slide. More concerning to me was the wavy skin on the bottom outside of the slide. It appeared to be delaminating...it is! The dealer has had several do this. They have it fixed (they have to remove some of the skin and put bolts through to the slide frame) and it is going to the paint shop on Monday. I looked at a couple Georgetowns they have on the lot (2010 and 2011) and they are doing the exact same thing. Check yours before it is out of warranty!
Old 03-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #5

Thanks all. Still seems like a stupid design but I'll live with it unless it gives me more grief.
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #6

My 2011 Georgetown 360 does the same thing. Had it checked out thoroughly and there is no problem. That's the way it is going to be.
tetsurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
I think your slides are hydraulic. Therefore I'll give you a short lesson on hydraulics. Two rams, one pump. The pump builds "x" pressure and sends down a hose, the pressure gets to one of the rams, and travels on to the other. On paper, this looks good. In the real world, there are pressure differences due to hose length, number of fittings and elbows, etc. If one ram is easier to move with "x" pressure, that will be the one moving, until the slide gets in a slight bind, then pressure will build in the ram, and across the system, causing pressure to build in the other ram, causing it to move. They will equal out at the end of travel, both in and out, as one hits the stop, then the other. I've seen them twist, and almost walk in sometimes. Nothing to be concerned about, as long as they travel the full distance each way.
Your explanation is probably the best way to understand how these hydraulic slides work.
Our bedroom slide with one ram slides perfectly straight but the large slide with two rams containing the sofa and dinette always has the sofa end traveling an inch or two behind the dinette side. It's always the same whether it's going out or sliding back in. Primary reason as you described, the dinette side is closer to the pump than the sofa side. The only way they would travel at the same rate would be one line feeding a tee and both branch lines would need to be the same length. I guess then the difference of the weights may effect it as well. Sofa with sofa bed frame vs. dinnette with two benches and cushions.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote