Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #1

And the hits just keep coming:(

Well as some have read about 2 month ago .. Forest river sent me some replacement hoses for my blistered hoses.. I replaced them and one burst first time out 1200miles from home..with the help of some members here I was able to replace it on the road.. I contacted FR (Mr Kevin Stratton).. Who apologized and stated if I return the hose I would get reimbursed the expenditure ($90) spent on having a new hose made..Well sent the hose back as well as receipt ($14 shipping)and today 6 weeks later I received an email from Mr Stratton stating that they could not reimburse the hose at it is not there policy.. ( that's funny..If it wasn't there policy why did he ask me to send it back for reimbursement)..I don't know what's more bothersome.. The fact that all the new hoses they sent me are blistering at the fittings(another one burst yesterday )and will once again need to be replaced, the fact that they were untruthful about reimbursing me or the waste of my time and and money on shipping something back to them I could just have put in the garbage..

Sincerely
very unhappy camper
Old 11-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjester View Post
Well as some have read about 2 month ago .. Forest river sent me some replacement hoses for my blistered hoses.. I replaced them and one burst first time out 1200miles from home..with the help of some members here I was able to replace it on the road.. I contacted FR (Mr Kevin Stratton).. Who apologized and stated if I return the hose I would get reimbursed the expenditure ($90) spent on having a new hose made..Well sent the hose back as well as receipt ($14 shipping)and today 6 weeks later I received an email from Mr Stratton stating that they could not reimburse the hose at it is not there policy.. ( that's funny..If it wasn't there policy why did he ask me to send it back for reimbursement)..I don't know what's more bothersome.. The fact that all the new hoses they sent me are blistering at the fittings(another one burst yesterday )and will once again need to be replaced, the fact that they were untruthful about reimbursing me or the waste of my time and and money on shipping something back to them I could just have put in the garbage..

Sincerely
very unhappy camper
Sending you a pm.

TURBS.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I hope I can help re pm.

TURBS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1416582795284.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	66696   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1416582816306.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	66697  
Old 11-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
Anacortesians

As a former aviation hydraulic systems engineer, I don't understand why the RV industry uses hoses om hydraulic equipment that doesn't move. I'm assuming yours are on the jacking system, speedjester. Any hydraulic component that is in a fixed location can be plumbed with steel tube. I even worked with some steel tube lines on airplanes that were spiral wound, like the end of a safety-pin to allow a component to move a short distance.

Basic airplane design philosophy is "use a hose only when there's absolutely no alternative". It should be the same everywhere else.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
As a former aviation hydraulic systems engineer, I don't understand why the RV industry uses hoses om hydraulic equipment that doesn't move. I'm assuming yours are on the jacking system, speedjester. Any hydraulic component that is in a fixed location can be plumbed with steel tube. I even worked with some steel tube lines on airplanes that were spiral wound, like the end of a safety-pin to allow a component to move a short distance.

Basic airplane design philosophy is "use a hose only when there's absolutely no alternative". It should be the same everywhere else.
Good point and I agree. Can't remember any hard line hydraulic lines leaking othere than those damaged by improper clamping or external damage and those were carrying 3000 psi.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I hope I can help re pm.

TURBS.
Looks like a well stocked hydrAulic hose/end fittings area.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Looks like a well stocked hydrAulic hose/end fittings area.
Thousands of dollars worth!

TURBS.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Thousands of dollars worth!

TURBS.
And I'm sure it's worth every penny when/if a piece of equipment breaks down with a defective hose holding up a job.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
And I'm sure it's worth every penny when/if a piece of equipment breaks down with a defective hose holding up a job.
Roger that!

TURBS.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #10

With the number of failures Speed jester has had, I wonder if press reg. by the pump is out of control ie: system 2000 psi, hoses 3000 psi burst. Something ain't right here.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #11

I had a couple of people tell me the failures are because the fittings are not being put on correctly... And the hydraulic fluid is leaking between the line and the outside skin... On my old hoses the blisters were spread out throughout the lines...but on the new hoses they sent rated at 2700psi have all bubbled and bursted at the fittings.... Last time it happened at the pumps at a gas station.. Spew hydraulic fluid all over the place... I'm still wondering if I'm going to get something in the mail.. As they weren't to happy with that and my attempts to clean it up...But what really gets my goat..I received a followup email from Mr Stratton.. Stating pretty much that They didn't even have to send me new hoses as they only take care of the original buyer... They did me a favor..I had to remind him..that when I first spoke to him I didn't want the hoses unless he could guarantee they were of better quality than original... He assured me they were...On that note against my better judgement
I agreed and replaced the hoses with new orange hoses... On my first outing one burst he apologized for the problem and offered to replace the hose with another of there orange hoses..it was at that time I explained to him that I would replace them myself with ones of better quality... He then offered to reimburse me for the hose as long as I sent it back..... Now they tell me sorry but we don't reimburse for 2nd owners...I then asked if they felt the slightest bit responsible for this issue with there coaches regardless of ownership its still one of there coaches with a know issue if so why not do the right thing and replace the hoses they know are defective ... Never got a response..

On a side note I had O'Reilys make me all new hoses rated at I believe 5800psi and am replacing them as they let go... So far two down two more to go...no leaks or blisters on the new hoses..