Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2017, 08:04 PM   #1

Annoyed with dealers service

I might be a bit anal but I expect a dealer to do as I ask especially when I paying for service.
How often do you find that a service facility cuts corners and assumes that you don't know any better or won't notice or check their work?
Recently took mh in for basic service before a trip. Oil, lube, fluids levels, tire pressure etc (basics).
Received a call that they found a bolt in the edge of a front tire and unrepairable. Tires are only 2 yrs old with 8k miles. Told them to replace both front tires and set pressure on ALL tires to 95lbs. 2 Tires, mounting and alignment, $1400.
Rig ready, picked up, drove home. While getting out I looked at front passenger side and thought tire looked a bit low, so naturally decided to check pressure. I used a manual gauge and a digital gauge, got same reading on both. Front passenger was 87lbs, front driver was 89lbs, and 4 rear tires ranged from 90 to 93lbs.
Just one of those things to annoy the crap out you and have the need to vent!
Frank DeFeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:10 AM   #2
Back On The Go

You've got to trust people to do what they say they are going to do for you, be it a restaurant, vehicle service dept., or whatever - but verify when possible. Took mine in for some things including rotating tires. I had marked the tires myself and when I picked the rig up all tires were in the same position. This was 10 yrs ago; no apologies from them, just excuses.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #3

Amen brother! My first two experiences with work done by two "big" dealers leaves me thinking that as long as new replacement parts are not in play under warranty I just do it myself and then I know its done right
Old 09-24-2017, 08:46 AM   #4
Back On The Go

That's the best approach, but I have now found what I believe to be a good service company. That's their main business and they seem to be honorable and trustworthy. Fingers crossed.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by salwolfe View Post
That's the best approach, but I have now found what I believe to be a good service company. That's their main business and they seem to be honorable and trustworthy. Fingers crossed.

Good for you, they seem to be few and far between. Share their name and address If possible. I think a Lot of folks would want to know who they are.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
Back On The Go

Sure: Lone Star RV Service in Harker Heights, TX near Killen in central Texas.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by salwolfe View Post
Sure: Lone Star RV Service in Harker Heights, TX near Killen in central Texas.

Thanks salwolfe, we drive by there every year. Good to know.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:54 AM   #8
JBP

Thanks we go by there once a year also.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:22 AM   #9

Zowie. Perhaps when they set the tires the temp was different than when you checked it, causing the diff in pressure from 95. I have always reset the cold tire pressure after having tire work done, I don't expect them to take the time to get it perfect like I do. I also never trust anybody to set my tire pressure.

If the slight difference in pressure from what you requested annoys you enough to post about it, you must be annoyed a lot! I would of just been happy they found the bolt in your tire that you didn't see!!!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Zowie. Perhaps when they set the tires the temp was different than when you checked it, causing the diff in pressure from 95. I have always reset the cold tire pressure after having tire work done, I don't expect them to take the time to get it perfect like I do. I also never trust anybody to set my tire pressure.

If the slight difference in pressure from what you requested annoys you enough to post about it, you must be annoyed a lot! I would of just been happy they found the bolt in your tire that you didn't see!!!!
X2 It sounds like a very good dealer..............

I doubt a tire dealer would do any different.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #11
JBP

I'm accustomed to dealers that do what they say they're going to do do it correctly and do it on time. So I was surprised when the latest dealer I took it to didn't perform for my expectations. Even with the good dealers I always check my tire pressure. I also make a habit of going back and checking what I asked them to do. Anybody can have an off day and miss it.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:24 AM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post

I agree.
I'm amazed at someone who can SEE 5-7 PSI difference in pressure on a tire that big! Be glad they found the bolt. I'd be more miffed at $1400! WOW.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
I'm accustomed to dealers that do what they say they're going to do do it correctly and do it on time. So I was surprised when the latest dealer I took it to didn't perform for my expectations. Even with the good dealers I always check my tire pressure. I also make a habit of going back and checking what I asked them to do. Anybody can have an off day and miss it.
I guess that is nice in 45 years of owning vehicles never had a dealer like that even tire dealers.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, service